When will Morgan learn his lesson?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by dogshawred, August 20, 2013.

1. What?! Piers Morgan Falsely Claims Virginia Had Highest Murder Rate In U.S. for 2009 | NewsBusters
    ~
    Trying to refute his guest's argument that "more guns equal less crime," CNN's Piers Morgan fell flat on his face on his Tuesday night show.
    ~
    When guest A.W.R. Hawkins cited Virginia as an example where violent crime fell in 2012 as gun sales increased, Morgan answered that "It's Virginia, the very state you just quoted to me actually has the highest murder rate in the country. According to 2009 statistics by the FBI." Morgan's assertion was entirely false, according to the FBI's 2009 report on crime.
    ~
    The FBI's 2009 Crime In the United States report placed Virginia behind 23 other states plus Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico in the murder and nonnegligent manslaughter rate per 100,000 inhabitants. And in case Morgan was referring to the firearm murder rate, Virginia still did not have the highest in the country.

~

Piers Morgan: I Don't Want All American Women Armed with Guns
    ~
    Hawkins told Morgan that there were less violent crimes in America than in England and Wales per 100,000 people because women in American can defend themselves regardless of any inequality in physical strength.
    ~
    "My problem is I don't want to see all the women in America armed with guns," Morgan said.
    ~
    Morgan said he believed "where there are guns," there is a "much higher incidence" of suicide and domestic violence with firearms. :banghead:
    ~
    Earlier in the segment, Hawkins told Morgan that in England and Wales, for every 100,000 people, there are 775 violent crimes, including sexual assaults—which primarily are perpetrated on women. Hawkins said that in America, there are 383 violent crimes for every 100,000 people. :D
    ~
    "The difference is here, women can shoot back," Hawkins said. "You chase them into an attic, they are going to shoot at you to protect their own lives and the lives of their children."
    ~
    Hawkins was referring to a story he told earlier in the segment about a woman in Georgia who, in the first week of January, shot an intruder five times when he chased her and her two children into their attic. Hawkins said the woman's husband urged her to shoot the intruder over the phone.
    ~
    Hawkins said, "I would like my wife to be armed were she in that position." He then asked Morgan, "Wouldn't you want your wife to be armed were she to be in that position?" The host did not reply to that question.

2. That man just irritates the hell outta me every time. I have forced myself to stop listening to his diatribe. Every time I did I found myself wanting to see him die a fiery angry death. The man knows nothing about what he is trying to claim he does know. He just ignores facts and tries to make up his own.

Thank you for the post.

3. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

D. Patrick Moynihan must have had Piers Morgan in mind when he said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts". I have no tolerance of or desire to listen to his brand of "facts".

4. Sigh... yea that man bugs me too... If you state False claims on television based on "facts" you should have to prove those, and if you don't you should be fined and liable for lawsuit. Because that rumor will eventually grow into fact. Which negates the real facts lol. More guns = no one wants to fight unsure of whom has a small .22 pistol. No guns = Strongest man wins (Most women will lose...). I like having a weapon!

5. JustJack

JustJack

While I agree he's an a$$ and that making up your own stats and/or straight out lying in 'news' is a deplorable thing to do, it is, unfortunately LEGAL. I can't remember which court case it was, but I know it involved FoxNews, and the US District Court where the lawsuit took place ruled that the news is allowed to lie to you on purpose. Keep that in mind next time you flip on the idiot box.