what kind of rifle?

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by diesel, September 9, 2012.

1. diesel

diesel

This is my father in Italy(we believe) near Anzio in 1944.:clap: For years i've been trying to figure out what kind of rifle he has shouldered. The pic makes it hard to see. Anyone with a good photo enhancer? I'd love to know what hes carrying. I think it is an M1.:flag:

dad 8.jpg

2. I ran it through photoshop here and enhanced a bit and with the angle he is holding it there is not much to see there. I am afraid it's not much help on my end. That is going to be a tough one. Perhaps a military historian could tell you better?

Last edited: September 10, 2012
  3. diesel

diesel

Thanks for trying Wolf. Appreciate it.

4. No problem Diesel I wish I could be of more help. :(

5. MikeH121

MikeH121

It's canted to the rear and away but looks like an M1. Carbine is shorter.

6. Deisel i believe it's a garand.i'm looking at the pistol belt he's wearing and it appears to me that those might be clip pouches on his left side and maybe his right too

7. diesel

diesel

Ya know brother, i thought that as well, but you guys know much more about these type guns than i. Thanks for your input Rifle.:flag:

8. Diesel,

What a great photo.

Little did all of those guys who took simple photos like that "back then" realize that they would become priceless memories 50+ years later.

Excellent.

AD

9. Orlando

Orlando

Deffinatly not a M1 Carbine as the size is wrong and the dead giveaway is the carbine sling attaches to the side of the stock not to the bottom like what is pictured
    My vote is a M1 Garand

10. diesel

diesel

:flag:Thanks A.D. I've many old WWII photos that dad sent to mom. Unfortunately, mom is in a nursing home with severe dementia, and dad has been dead since May of 1972. Mom will turn 90 yrs. in 9 more days.
    It makes me happy to know that you like that old pic. Since i was a kid, i must have looked at it a million times. I have much respect for dad and all of you others who fought for our country....seriously!:clap: You veterens are all true patriots as i consider myself such, although i never had the honor of serving.:flag::flag:

View attachment 271 View attachment 272

Last edited: October 3, 2012
  11. rjrivero

rjrivero

Thanks for sharing these photos. I took the liberty of sending this picture to a friend of mine who is a World War II Encyclopedia. He believes it to be a 1903A3. He says the sling position in the rear gives it away. M1 Swivel is only 2 3/4" from the butt.

Not definitive, but he knows his WWII firearms.

12. Orlando

Orlando

I suppose it could be a 1903a3 but those rifles didnt hardly see much use in WWII. Mostly training and support units, such as MP's and engineers etc
    Its really hard to tell from the pic

Heres a pic of my Dad and friends in Korea
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A friend of my Dad's with a M2 Carbine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: October 3, 2012
  13. diesel

diesel

:flag:RJ...I can't thank you and the other guys enough. I appreciate the effort you put in.:clap:
    Again, thanks a ton. I'm sure pop is lookong down on us with a smile on his face right now.:angel:

14. diesel

diesel

Great pics, Orlando. I appreciate your help as well. You guys really know your stuff!:clap:
    I always thought the M2 was a shorter weapon with a steel fold-out stock?
    I guess i'm wrong again as usual...lol.:flag:

15. Orlando

Orlando

The M2 is select fire Carbine, you are probably thinking of the paratrooper folding stock carbine

16. diesel

diesel

I'm sure you are right. Thanks!