• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

what kind of rifle?

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
This is my father in Italy(we believe) near Anzio in 1944.:clap: For years i've been trying to figure out what kind of rifle he has shouldered. The pic makes it hard to see. Anyone with a good photo enhancer? I'd love to know what hes carrying. I think it is an M1.:flag:

dad 8.jpg

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
I ran it through photoshop here and enhanced a bit and with the angle he is holding it there is not much to see there. I am afraid it's not much help on my end. That is going to be a tough one. Perhaps a military historian could tell you better?

Last edited:
Deisel i believe it's a garand.i'm looking at the pistol belt he's wearing and it appears to me that those might be clip pouches on his left side and maybe his right too

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Ya know brother, i thought that as well, but you guys know much more about these type guns than i. Thanks for your input Rifle.:flag:

ADulay

nra
nra instructor
This is my father in Italy(we believe) near Anzio in 1944.:clap:
Diesel,

What a great photo.

Little did all of those guys who took simple photos like that "back then" realize that they would become priceless memories 50+ years later.

Excellent.

AD

Deffinatly not a M1 Carbine as the size is wrong and the dead giveaway is the carbine sling attaches to the side of the stock not to the bottom like what is pictured
My vote is a M1 Garand

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
:flag:Thanks A.D. I've many old WWII photos that dad sent to mom. Unfortunately, mom is in a nursing home with severe dementia, and dad has been dead since May of 1972. Mom will turn 90 yrs. in 9 more days.
It makes me happy to know that you like that old pic. Since i was a kid, i must have looked at it a million times. I have much respect for dad and all of you others who fought for our country....seriously!:clap: You veterens are all true patriots as i consider myself such, although i never had the honor of serving.:flag::flag:

View attachment 271 View attachment 272

Last edited:

rjrivero

nra
nra instructor
This is my father in Italy(we believe) near Anzio in 1944.:clap: For years i've been trying to figure out what kind of rifle he has shouldered. The pic makes it hard to see. Anyone with a good photo enhancer? I'd love to know what hes carrying. I think it is an M1.:flag:

View attachment 246
Thanks for sharing these photos. I took the liberty of sending this picture to a friend of mine who is a World War II Encyclopedia. He believes it to be a 1903A3. He says the sling position in the rear gives it away. M1 Swivel is only 2 3/4" from the butt.

Not definitive, but he knows his WWII firearms.

I suppose it could be a 1903a3 but those rifles didnt hardly see much use in WWII. Mostly training and support units, such as MP's and engineers etc
Its really hard to tell from the pic

Heres a pic of my Dad and friends in Korea

A friend of my Dad's with a M2 Carbine

Last edited:

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
:flag:RJ...I can't thank you and the other guys enough. I appreciate the effort you put in.:clap:
Again, thanks a ton. I'm sure pop is lookong down on us with a smile on his face right now.:angel:

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Great pics, Orlando. I appreciate your help as well. You guys really know your stuff!:clap:
I always thought the M2 was a shorter weapon with a steel fold-out stock?
I guess i'm wrong again as usual...lol.:flag: