Welp, Huntington

Discussion in 'Open Carry' started by Noel, September 11, 2012.

1. Noel

Noel

So, Huntington is really upsetting me with how they treat me when I go there. So I'm attempting to send a letter to the regional president. I need someone to read it for me to make sure I don't come off as threatening or douchey..

Greetings,

My name is Noel, I am an "open carry" activist, someone who legally, openly carries a firearm in a holster for self defense, this practice is legal in the state of Ohio. I am also an Ohio CCW holder, which means I have been trained to handle a firearm, have fingerprints and photos on file with the Lucas County sheriff's office, have passed numerous background checks, am not a felon, and have no history of violent crimes; how much do you know about your other customers' criminal history (or lack there of)?

Recently I have been met with a somewhat caustic reception at two branches in the Toledo area. They were not too outwardly rude about it, and did not deny me service, but the disregard for my rights as a citizen is concerning. The branch I was in today termed it as a "courtesy" for me to disarm in my vehicle, however I ask you, why should I give up my right to personal protection to bank with Huntington?

Banks are not on the list of areas that are off limits to the carry of firearms, and in my opinion, with good reason; there is nowhere that you are more vulnerable to a possibly violent robbery than at a bank or an ATM. Not to mention the benefit Huntington and other customers are receiving from the mere presence of an armed, licensed, law-abiding citizen in the building, as time and time again, it has been proven by the FBI and other groups that crime decreases with the presence of an armed citizenry.

If you are concerned that other Huntington customers will become alarmed by my presence, I have my personal experience to account for that; I have been openly carrying for the better part of a year, I have been to grocery stores, hardware stores, gas stations, walked down the street, paid my rent, and never has a single person become alarmed by the presence of my firearm. The only people that ever stop me are misinformed or overtly opinionated staff or police officers.

What i would like to know is what is:

What is Huntington's corporate policy about their customers carrying firearms legally on the premises and inside the banking office?

If firearms are not allowed, why are your buildings not posted "no firearms"? And I urge you to be careful with these signs. Nearly every single one of these highly publicized shootings in the news have happened in a building marked with "no firearms"signs. The only people these signs work for are law abiding citizens, criminals have no problem breezing right past them.

If the corporate policy is to follow state law, essentially allowing carry, the staff at these branches need to be informed, and trained to accept it as a legal activity and not treat armed customers as potential threats.

2. I thought it sounded good and coherent personally. Hopefully we can get some other opinions before you send it off to them. :)

3. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

Hey Noel,

I would drop the term activist - it makes you sound... Well like an activist. I would suggest a more low-key intro. Maybe start out by stating the problem (you felt you were treated poorly), then point out that you have your carry permit, that you're legally allowed to carry, etc. Otherwise it's all good. Your lead-in could hamstring you before you get out of the gate though.

4. Very good advice Prepper. Thank you for the response and the alternative viewpoint. I tend to be a bit more blunt then I should be so a second opinion is ALWAYS good. :)

5. Noel

Noel

I had already sent it before I got your responses. I got a call back from their security department. They left a voicemail. But they appear to be out of the office now, as they aren't answering.

6. I am interested to hear their response. :D

7. Noel

Noel

I'm mostly hoping I didn't make them flip shit and they think I'm crazy now. Her voicemail didn't sound angry like or anything, and I don't have the cops beating my door down.

8. I would not worry too awful much about the police beating down your door. I am sure they wish to contact you about the policies they have in place.

9. diesel

diesel

:clap:Thought it was very good, well written and literate. I must say i do agree with Prep on the "activist" bit though. I give you props for having the balls to write to them. Well done.:flag:

10. Noel

Noel

So I spoke with Huntington security, she gave me the whole "we just don't want it to turn into a shoot out, as that's how people get hurt."

She told me that there is no policy against the carry, and even though I've been confronted, it would not turn into a criminal trespass if I were to continue carrying.

I wasn't sure where to go or any other questions to ask after that, so we hung up.

11. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

Might have been good to get something on company letter head to that effect. Can the branch manager set policy on that? If Corporate security says "It's OK", but the branch manager says "Not in my branch" who has the final say? It might be worthwhile having a few words with the branch manager. If you do, it might be better to go in either un-armed to put him/her at ease, or concealed at least. My experience has been that it's just a matter of education and getting to know you aren't one of those paranoid survivalist types that may go off at any minute (you aren't are you? :lol: )

Just brainstorming ideas here, and I'm not sure the coffee has kicked in yet.

12. I think I would have asked them to speak to their personal and alert them that they MAY see armed citizens there and not to be alarmed. Glad to hear though that the will not pursue further legal action should you decide to continue OC while banking there which I assume you will. :D