Useful Training Time

Discussion in 'Tactics & Training' started by ADulay, March 15, 2012.

1. All,

I figured perhaps we've all fallen into the trap sometimes, of going to the range and just kind of shooting bullets at the targets with no real purpose other than to push bullets downrange.

Well, I've tried to make the range time really worthwhile now so today I set up a little training and testing at the same time.

I worked on trigger control with the 9mm and finally got around to testing and shooting my old standby, backup gun, the Walther PPK in .380ACP. It's funny that after all these years, it's still a whole different animal to shoot when you've gotten used to the Glocks.

But, for the grand finale, I decided to take the top four bullets of my EXPENSIVE defensive ammo magazines and put them in one mag and do the "for real" scenario. We practice with FMJ bullets but we carry JHP's for real. Time to test those year old .45ACP bullets in the gun to make sure they shoot like the practice ones!!

So, to finish the session, I drew from concealment and double tapped two steel targets at 9 yards.

Then, while holding the weapon at the high ready on each of the two targets I backed away to 20 yards and stood there for one full minute with the gun moving between both targets. After one minute of holding the gun high, I took two final "hostage" shots at the bad guy. In this case it was a yellow sheet of 8x10 paper on a normal paper target.

Both shots hit nicely on the yellow paper and I was done for the day. These last six shots were all with my normal defensive ammo instead of practice ammo, just to make sure they fly the same, especially at the 20 yard distance.

So, I'm good to go. The carry gun proved it works and works well and should the need ever arise to zero in on something/somebody at 20 yards, I'm home free!! (Especially if they're wearing a yellow raincoat!)

Hey, it's practice time with a twist! Make that practice time count!!

AD (I would post up the yellow sheet with two holes in it but that would be tacky, don't ya think?)

2. It's good to vary our shooting technic to account for real world situations. Standing calmly shooting at paper is way different then dealing with a stress filled self defense situation.

Many people may not realize that adrenalin has an adverse effect on our fine motor skills. Knowing this we should develope ways to try and simulate that stress in our training.

Here is something you might try the next time you get to the range. Start off with an 8" paper plate at 7 yards. After setting up your targets, get down and do as many push ups as you are physically able to perform.

Push yourself until you can't get the last one up, the idea is to get your arms to quiver and your breathing / heart rate up. Now get up and immediately address your targets by firing 2-3 rounds pause then 2-3 more rounds. Try to get the first shot off as soon as you bring the gun up into the firing position.

The first time out you will be lucky if you can get more than one round on paper. What you want to focus on is learning to control your breathing in a way that allows you to regain as much of your fine motor skills as you can in the least amount of time. We humans have a tendency to stop breathing when in highly stressful situations.

Once you get good at that range move back 3 yards on your next range trip and start again. Continue to increase the increments until you become proficient in this drill at 20 yards. Don't proceede to the next level until you are confident in your ability to put 4-5 rds. on target at the current level.

It may take multiple range trips before you are able to hit the target at 20 yards but adding stress to our training will go along way in making sure we are able to function in those high stress situations.

Please be extra careful when you practice adding stress to your training. Remember to follow all the rules of safe gun handling as well as the safety rules of your range.

As far as the pictures being tacky, there's an old saying: Pics or it didn't happen! :lol:

Last edited: March 16, 2012
  3. Ooooh, excellent idea and I'll be giving that one a try for sure. Thanks.

Hmm, tough crowd here! However, you're in luck. The last yellow "two shot" target was still in the motorcycle bag and here it is.

I stuck in on the laptop over your post, just for effect!

Living proof that anyone in a yellow rain coat is in extreme danger!!

And like I mentioned in the original message, this was shot after holding unsupported "on target" for one minute before shooting.

AD

[​IMG]

4. Let us know how you do your 1st time out and keep us updated as you progress.

5. Hmm, I thinking this can't be all that difficult as I'll be lucky to actually get three full pushups completed!!

Might have to come up with something else to get the heart rate and breathing up. I may wind up running up and down one of the rifle ranges and then into the pistol squad bay.

As I'll be the only one there, this shouldn't be a problem.

AD

6. :lol: Run then do your 3 pushups. :lol:

7. Hmm, that's just what I did today! Luckily there was nobody at the range so I could kind of run in a big circle for awhile and THEN do a few pushups against the loading table.

Yep, missed them plates cleanly!!

Slowed down and figured out what I needed to do to hit them on the first try.

Marshall Dillon has nothing to worry about in a quick draw shootout with me if I've had to run up and get some bullets!!

Thanks for the idea.

AD

8. You are welcome! Just think, if it takes you awhile to get proficient at 20 yards you will be in better shape when all is said and done. :lol:

9. All,

I was going to put this in the IDPA section as that's kind of what I'm practicing for but now it appears that perhaps this is more of a training type video.

Although being able to draw "quickly" is important, it is almost important to actually HIT what you're drawing on!! Lots of guys who can draw and shoot quickly, not so many that can hit the target at 10 yards.

I was practicing the key elements of IDPA and that would be target acquisition, target transition, RELOADS, and accuracy.

I generally try to video practice sessions to see if I'm doing something dumb or if some bad habits have started to creep in. This particular video from yesterday has an interesting "quirk" to it that makes it worthwhile to post up.

The set up is a random start from around the corner to a 15 yard target, reload, 7 yard target 90 degrees from the first one, reload, then another target at 10 yards at another 90 degrees of direction change.

Try not to get shot in the process so you should move a bit too!

This was late in the session so try not to laugh at the sweaty guy with the gun!

Six shots, two reloads, two transitions. Scary finishing time!!

AD

Three Double Taps at 666 - YouTube

10. All,

I may have "accidentally" screwed up the view settings on the video above this message. Something about not allowing "embedded video" or something similar.

Anyway, in case it didn't work for you the first time, it "should" work now.

AD (don't try to fix stuff that isn't broke!!)

11. That was a great video showing the tactics you've learned AD. Thank you for sharing with us here.

About the time, well, that is a bit scary but you were dead on the targets though. :)

12. All,

Had an interesting time at the range this afternoon.

My regular shooting buddy came along as he always needs to put some practice in on the 20 yard shots, so we got a bunch of those in.

Seems he's pulling everything WAY left. In fact, he's holding his point of aim OFF THE TARGET to get the hits "on target"!!

This just isn't right. It's a "Band-Aid" fix for a more serious problem.

As I really like the feel of his gun (Walther PPQ in 9mm) I enjoy shooting it. He thinks the gun is just off but I've been telling him he's pulling his shots due to poor technique with his grip and more so with his trigger pull.

We had the entire outdoor bay to ourselves while the other bays were full of USPSA shooters, so we got down to details of what he's doing.

I shot the gun at 20 yards and placed 5 out of 6 dead nuts in the "zero" circle with a single flyer in the "1" zone. I like that gun!

He shoots it and it's all over the place, mostly low and left and a few off the target!

We watched his hands and trigger finger while shooting and it became painfully obvious that he was pulling the gun down with every shot. Pull it down and it WILL move low and left.

At least he's now AWARE of why his missing at 20 yards (and 10 yards) and we'll work on that in the upcoming days.

Now I'm just mad that his PPQ shoots better than my Glock 34 when it's in my hands!!!

Just wanted to make sure you guys check your grip and trigger pull for a smooth shot.

AD

13. All,

Hmm, seems kind of slow around here this week so I may as well post up still another lame video of my free time at the range!

Seriously, one of the shots used in IDPA (and several other areas) is the "Mozambique".

It's two shots to the body and one to the head. Useful if the intended target is wearing some sort of body armor.

Anyway, I was doing a little practice with this as we have an IDPA classifier coming up and this is one of the required "sets" to shoot.

One thing leads to another and I decide to see how fast I can run TWO Mozambiques, all on target!

Well, it took a few tries to get it right but here's the "final result" from 10 yards.

It was a lot of fun to do and of course, good practice time!!

This was shot with the Glock 30 (45ACP).

AD

[video=youtube;-BtkgMb0d84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BtkgMb0d84&hd=1[/video]

14. Once again I find myself with a message to post and nowhere "correct" to post it so I may as well tack on to this one.

Was at the range today to try something I heard about the other night.

To make a long story short, we were discussing realistic target distances during the IDPA and USPSA matches. One of the guy remarks that they do use the occasional 50 yard target or so, when space is available, during USPSA shoots. (Max at IDPA is the once a year 35 yarder which I've yet to see in over a year, yet.)

So, to satisfy my curiosity, I walked over to the 100 yard rifle range today and just pulled out the Glock 34 in my saddlebag. I walked down and set up a standard target at 100 yards and trudged back to the firing line. Obviously I had it all to myself as it's 98 degrees out here and nobody in their right mind would be out there in the afternoon.

I just happened to have two magazines and a bag of 9mm so I loaded up both of them with 10 rounds and took aim.

20 rounds later I trudged back down the range and counted up 12 hits! No discernable "pattern" so to speak and two of the shots were BARELY on the target, but they at least touched it.

I pasted the targets and then shot two rounds from the Glock 30 (45acp) at 100 yards and hit it once. OK, at least I'm in the same percentage of hits, kind of.

Walked down to the 50 yard line and hit about the same with the next 10 rounds. 6 out of 10 at 50 yards.

This was free standing and not from a bench rest or bag.

So, when you get a chance (and the opportunity) lob a few bullets down there from 50 or 100 yards, just for grins, and see what shows up!

I did notice that when I took a few parting shots from 20 yards, the targets looked HUGE after staring at them from 100 and 50 yards!!

AD

15. MikeH121

MikeH121

Funny you don't really look like the Anti-Christ.:rofl:

On an indoor range I shoot at different distances. Off hand one hand mostly Point and Shoot sometimes I actually use the sights and Weaver stance. I'll pick it up off the table and just pick a spot first then put 4 rds into that spot. Left shoulder, right shoulder, head, heart....4 rds better than 2 and practice with the recoil and return. With the XD-40 it is a bit stout but dead on. On an outdoor range at the plinking location, I shoot at golfballs. The 40 pops them, that is 25-30 yards then a hillside.

The target range is usually too busy there. Anymore than 200 yrds on the rifle range crosses the road so you gotta spend time, hit the button for the stoplight, then you got 2 minutes to fire. Unless there is a match shoot when the road is controlled. It is an odd setup for a range. And I can't get there when I want as a guest. Applications are 2 months waiting time.

16. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

AD

I had the same problem. A friend finally pointed out that I was holding the trigger in the crease of my knuckle instead of the pad of my finger. Once I started practicing proper trigger control things improved quickly.

17. I've found that almost every person I taken under my wing to help improve their shooting has had trigger control as their main problem.

It doesn't sound right to them but eventually it makes sense and they all show a marked improvement!

AD

18. That is usually my problem. I need to work on that too.

19. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

One thing that REALLY helped me was a SIRT pistol. It is a training pistol that has a green laser showing where your shot would hit. Helped me immensely. Also - I'm not affiliated with them other than a happy customer.