• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

To open carry, or not?

As I've just recently moved back to my home town ( a shit hole that I'm trying to get a little distance from without straying too far from the county), I've been pondering the best way to arm myself currently. I'm a night owl by nature, so taking a walk at night is normal activity for me. But walking around at 3 AM with a Glock strapped to my hip is certain to raise an eye or two from anybody who encounters me at that hour. Let's face it, it just screams 'I'm up to no good!'. But like I said, this town has gone to shit. Junkies are common, violent attacks, break ins, and etc. are on the rise. I just don't feel safe walking the streets at night in this town these days.

I have a pair of brass knuckles, but those are illegal as hell. All of my knives are either large and clumsy, or small pocket knives that are absolutely not an option for a defensive weapon as they take too much time and effort to open when every second counts. Until I've tracked down CCW classes and have the cash to put up to get it, I'm not seeing many options here.

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
I'm a night owl by nature, so taking a walk at night is normal activity for me. But walking around at 3 AM with a Glock strapped to my hip is certain to raise an eye or two from anybody who encounters me at that hour.
Try not to meet too many people at 3am while out walking. It's easy enough to avoid contact by being aware.

Let's face it, it just screams 'I'm up to no good!
Not to me. It might to some citizen that might be awake at 3am, but those types may not even notice.

I just don't feel safe walking the streets at night in this town these days.
And that's what you need to calmly tell the officer, should one show up and ask what the heck you're doing out at 3am in a bad neighborhood.

Until I've tracked down CCW classes and have the cash to put up to get it, I'm not seeing many options here.
CCW classes are held every day and pretty much everywhere now. If you're older than 21 and still haven't got your CCW yet, you're just making excuses, especially if you really NEED to carry.

I don't know if open carry requires a license in Ohio, but I don't believe it does however having the CCW does help out in a lot of situations where you're dealing with the local police.

So, start putting money away each week, get your CCW and have it as the back up that you will eventually need.

AD

When I left this town & neighborhood it really wasn't bad. Yes, I plan on getting my CCW, but currently am the only income in the household and am making half of what I was in Ar, despite working Monday through Saturday. But I have tracked down some instructors in my area recommended by some friends. All I gotta do is take some odd jobs on Sundays, get a few Saturdays off and fork over the cash. It's in the works, just not an immediate option.

Don't feel safe, hmmm.

Thrash, after reading your post I wonder what your question is regarding open carry.
~
Unless you are under disability and aren't legal to carry a weapon, you have no problem just as long as you don't allow the weapon to become covered in any way, shape or form.
~
I have my CHL for Ohio and yet I open carry every time I leave the house, every time I step out of my door I am armed and 95% of the time I am carrying open.
~
What I do question is your knowing that you live in a poor neighborhood that is subject to criminal activity you purposely place yourself in a position that may cause you harm and due to the time cause you to have contact with LE. I am a night owl myself and don't live in a bad area of my county and still don't find the need to leave my house with the knowing that there may be someone out there that may be looking for a target.
~
"I just don't feel safe walking the streets at night in this town these days." These are your words, so I ask you, "why do it if you don't feel safe"?

Re: Don't feel safe, hmmm.

It's my parents house, the same one I grew up in. It was a really nice neighborhood growing up, I had no idea it had gotten this shitty around here. As far as placing myself in harms way, I intend to move out of town as soon as I've found an affordable house or apartment for sale and don't feel like being a prisoner in my own dwelling in the mean time. Nobody should have to. I'm not going out looking for trouble, and I'm not going to go off playing George Zimmerman. I'm just not gonna be caught unarmed if it finds me. As for the LE aspect, I've talked to a few guys in the local PD. From what I get from them, they don't like it, but so long as I keep my hands in plain sight away from the weapon if/ when stopped and don't act like a dumbass, I won't be bothered much.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member

Point is Thrash, one should not have to worry about taking a walk at ANY time of the day or night. Says a lot about how low country has fallen.
In my youth, I never would have imagined your scenario. I played outside til well after dark, as did most of the kids, back then, and rarely if ever did any nefarious deed fall upon one of us.
If you like to stroll in the dark, by all means you should do so, just get that CCW first. We need to retrieve our country from the ne'er do wells as well as the govt.:flag:

I live in NE Ohio. I do have my ccw, I carry at all times. I 50% of the time open carry. BUT I know the best defence is good offence. I try to keep myself out of situations where I could be in harms way. Just because I SHOULD be able to walk butter ball naked down Main street in Akron on a Saturday night without anyone bothering me doesn't mean I am going to do it. Not a safe or smart thing to do. I live in a little town that is about as safe as you could want a town to be. Still doesn't mean I am going to go walking around town in the early morning hours. In my little town I see you walking around at 3 am lol I am going to think you are up to no good.

I live in NE Ohio. I do have my ccw, I carry at all times. I 50% of the time open carry. BUT I know the best defence is good offence. I try to keep myself out of situations where I could be in harms way. Just because I SHOULD be able to walk butter ball naked down Main street in Akron on a Saturday night without anyone bothering me doesn't mean I am going to do it. Not a safe or smart thing to do. I live in a little town that is about as safe as you could want a town to be. Still doesn't mean I am going to go walking around town in the early morning hours. In my little town I see you walking around at 3 am lol I am going to think you are up to no good.
I second this. I also live in NE Ohio. Not far from Akron actually. And although everyone should feel safe walking down the road at 3 AM and not have to be armed... We all know that isn't the world we live in. I am a Marine veteran. I do not sleep much at all. To clear my head I take walks at 1-2am as well. And I carry. I am doing nothing against the law and I will express this, with respect of course, to any officer that feels the need to stop me

I live between akron and canton. Heck canal fulton is bigger than our town lol. Nothing wrong with walking around if you want to. Just have to understand people might think you are up to no good when the streets roll up at 10 pm lol. Better to think a person might be up to no good and keep an eye on them; than to not keep an eye on them and find them in your living room.