Thoughts on trading ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by BuckJM53, August 4, 2013.

1. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

While I'm not an ammo hoarder by any stretch of the imagination, I have (for many years) maintained an adequate supply for my anticipated needs and try never to drop below a predetermined minimum comfort level in any caliber.

Recently, while I've been able to find a decent supply of 9mm & .45acp (and some .22lr) at decent prices at my local Wallyworlds, I found that I had dropped well below my "low water" mark on 22lr even with recent efforts to conserve. As I pondered how to resolve my issue (without purchasing from an internet scalper like CTD :p), I decided to attempt the trade route as I thought that there had to be those out there who had what I needed and needed what I had. So I proceeded to place an ad on the OFCC forum for a local FTF trade deal on some surplus 9s & 45s for an equal value of 22lr. While I had a couple of ridiculous offers :rolleyes: from people who actually thought I would be willing to trade 9mm for 22lr one for one :eek:, within two days I received a fair offer that worked perfectly for both sides.

While many here have probably tied this and maybe even routinely do this, I thought that I would post my positive experience for the benefit of those who haven't tried trading but might benefit by giving it a try :).