Thinking about getting an AK

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by Nomad, August 23, 2013.

1. Don't know much about them except what I read and seen A FEW AT GS's, going to Knob Creek Kentucky for the military gun show in October and I have been wanting a sport/HD rifle. I was thinking about an AR but I don't think the funs will be there for that. Been looking at AK's and checking out the difference between 5.56 vs 7.62 and the 7.62 is looking like allot of fun and I see this round every where I go so I know I can get them pretty reasonable. The video below is what's telling me to go 7.62, plus the price.

5.56 and 7.62x39 VS 2 55 Gallon steel barrels, sealed - YouTube

Comments?

2. That video is the very reason I would like to own an AK as well as the rounds being plentiful. I want something I can stockpile cheap and deep that can penetrate some steel without steel core rounds.

DOn't get me wrong I love my beloved AR's and always will but I still want to add an AK to my collection as well.

3. I hear ya, yeah may not be a cheap stock pile but I have always purchased a box of something every payday, that's how the wife gets me to go shopping with her, she bribes me with a box of ammo. :bow: But that worked out great I have enough ammo to get me through these tough times. I can't go to the range like I use to of course but I am not hurting for 9's or .22lr's "yet". I just use a box of 50 here and there now instead shooting 500 rounds in one range visit. It will take me a while to build a cache of 7.62 but I am in no hurry.

Last edited: August 23, 2013
  4. I am going to have to work on getting the wife to bribe me in the same way yours has. That just might work out in both our favors. :D