• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

The Next project

Wooden dowels become a 50BMG round. Both to be used as mortise pegs for a tabletop rifle stand.

First pic after the first shaping on round one.

I am still designing the shape of the stand, but today I finished shaping the second round now for final sanding and sizing and putting together.

S6300283.JPG

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Look'n real good, Mike. I assume your doing those on a lathe?
They would also look great made of brass. This I could do on my metal lathe.:flag:

Nope no lathe. Belt sander for initial shaping then hand sand and files. They are actual size, I have 50bmg brass and bullets, but it defeats the whole wood idea.:D

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Tell ya what, Mike, that's damn fine wood work being done without a lathe. My compliments.:thumbs: :flag:

I should have better pics of both this weekend. :D Still working on the shape design of the bottom piece and the supports. First one I am using Poplar, east to work easy to stain. I don't know If I want just squared shape or more womanly :cool:

Looking good. Will be nice to see pics as you progress along with your project. I use to own a wooden toy shop. Something about hands on work with wood that can't be beat.

As i said I am using Poplar because its cheap and tight grained. Better than pine. When I get the design I want I will step up to better hard wood. I have a nice long board in Paduk a red African hard wood. Got some hard maple and other good woods. The first bullet took longer than the next.

I like working by hand as much as possible. Like the Cherry board my Mosin hangs from and my 22 is mounted above on. It only took around 8 hours to hand plane. :D Satisfying though when you get a long strip you plane off that you can see thru. :thumbs:

Do you have a blueprint or a drawing you could share with us to better understand what you're making.
It sounds like a very interesting project.
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

I took drafting and architectural drawing, I have drawn ideas but usually I do it as I go. I am bad at redesigning things on the fly. I start with the idea then say nah better this way. Sometimes I find it impracticle.

The 50 cals were hold it next to ones I have then cut it a bit oversize. Then to the belt sander, then to the files and hand sanding.