The Next project

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by MikeH121, March 27, 2014.

1. MikeH121

MikeH121

Wooden dowels become a 50BMG round. Both to be used as mortise pegs for a tabletop rifle stand.

First pic after the first shaping on round one.

I am still designing the shape of the stand, but today I finished shaping the second round now for final sanding and sizing and putting together.

S6300283.JPG

2. Looking good.

RICHGCOOP

3. diesel

diesel

Look'n real good, Mike. I assume your doing those on a lathe?
    They would also look great made of brass. This I could do on my metal lathe.:flag:

4. MikeH121

MikeH121

Nope no lathe. Belt sander for initial shaping then hand sand and files. They are actual size, I have 50bmg brass and bullets, but it defeats the whole wood idea.:D

5. diesel

diesel

Tell ya what, Mike, that's damn fine wood work being done without a lathe. My compliments.:thumbs: :flag:

6. MikeH121

MikeH121

I should have better pics of both this weekend. :D Still working on the shape design of the bottom piece and the supports. First one I am using Poplar, east to work easy to stain. I don't know If I want just squared shape or more womanly :cool:

7. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

Looking good. Will be nice to see pics as you progress along with your project. I use to own a wooden toy shop. Something about hands on work with wood that can't be beat.

8. Doing that with a belt sander? That's damn fine work then! I'd like to see what the rest of it looks like when you're done.

9. MikeH121

MikeH121

As i said I am using Poplar because its cheap and tight grained. Better than pine. When I get the design I want I will step up to better hard wood. I have a nice long board in Paduk a red African hard wood. Got some hard maple and other good woods. The first bullet took longer than the next.

I like working by hand as much as possible. Like the Cherry board my Mosin hangs from and my 22 is mounted above on. It only took around 8 hours to hand plane. :D Satisfying though when you get a long strip you plane off that you can see thru. :thumbs:

10. Do you have a blueprint or a drawing you could share with us to better understand what you're making.
    It sounds like a very interesting project.
    RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

11. MikeH121

MikeH121

I took drafting and architectural drawing, I have drawn ideas but usually I do it as I go. I am bad at redesigning things on the fly. I start with the idea then say nah better this way. Sometimes I find it impracticle.

The 50 cals were hold it next to ones I have then cut it a bit oversize. Then to the belt sander, then to the files and hand sanding.