the "canon."

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by diesel, January 23, 2014.

1. diesel

diesel

My next revo, i hope.

LAS VEGAS — Smith & Wesson on Monday touted its new .460-caliber revolver as an ideal firearm for your backpack in the backcountry.

Officials with the Springfield, Mass.-based company let selected members of the media fire the Performance Center Model .460 at a range in Boulder City, Nev., as part of the opening day of the annual SHOT Show. The country’s largest gun show is taking place this week in Las Vegas and is expected to draw some 60,000 attendees.

Revolvers have long been replaced by high-capacity semi-auto for self defense, but they still make nice companions if you like camping where the critters are big enough to eat you.

The five-shooter features a three-inch barrel, high-visibility sights and a synthetic stock with a shock absorber on the rear of the handle. Chambered for the massive .460 round, it packs a wallop. You can also shoot .454 Casull rounds, as well as .45 Long Colt ammo.

“It’s a very comfortable gun to shoot,†Paul Pluff, the company’s director of marketing services, said in an interview with Military.com. “A great gun for a back-up gun in the backcountry or even for hunting if you’re going after some pigs or hogs or anything like that.â€

It’s a very nice gun but a bit pricey — $1,200. The company expects to market the revolver to civilians and law enforcement personnel.:D :flag:

S&W Canon.jpg

2. Why,or is it 'just to have one' ?

3. Oh swell, I can just see the defense attorney in some trial where the local PD shot some guy and they start asking why they NEEDED that particular revolver to take the guy out.

Not many police departments will be buying this I can't imagine, even with "LEO discounted" pricing. It just doesn't fit into their armory of things.

It does shoot the 45 Long Colt ammo, so it does have that going for it, but there are much better guns for that ammo.

Just because something can be made, doesn't mean it should be made. (Double barrel 45's and crap like that)

But then that's just me.

AD

Last edited: January 24, 2014
  4. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Smith did that with the 500 not many of those sold. It came in a kit called the Alaskan for energency use even had a flare gun and a whisle I think.

Last edited: January 23, 2014
  5. diesel

diesel

I just like the looks of it, 10mm. I've always been a revolver guy and Smiths are my absolute favorite. I'm too damn old for a "macho man" purchase, i guess i want it because i've never owned a "super calibur."
    I'm also hoping it can be bought with a longer barrel (5") as i'm sure it would make a fun gun for doe hunting.

6. the performance center model 460 is 3 1/2" only. the regular line of 460s' is available in many barrel lengths.
    200grs at 2300fps,better than a 44Magnum lever action rifle.
    S&W revolvers and 3rd gen pistols are my favorite,followed by Berettas.

Last edited: January 24, 2014
  7. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Sometimes thing are not needed just have to have based on just being kool. :thumbs:

8. diesel

diesel

What should one expect to pay for the regular .460 in 5", 10mm? :flag:

9. the regular 460 line,which starts with a 5" barrel and a MSRP of 1300,and then goes up in price as barrel gets longer(up to 1600 MSRP). I have seen them at the gun shows but never bothered to look at them for pricing as to whether they're marked up or down from MSRP. If I make it to this weekends' Akron show,I'll look.

10. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

Even if it had a set of "Gabriel Highjackers" on it, I doubt that it would be comfortable for me to shoot :lol:. The old wrists just don't handle recoil the way that they once did :(.

11. didn't make it to the Akron show because of weather,went to the Berea show today,didn't see any S&W 460s'. Stopped in at FFF after the Berea show,they had a 460,looked to be about 8",$1179.

12. diesel

diesel

I hear ya, Buck, im no spring chicken myself. It wouldn't be a gun for me to shoot a lot, just enough to know I can hit with it. I think it would be a lot of fun to hunt does with.
    Can't afford it at this time anyway, i'll have to stick to my .44mag or my .45lc.:flag:

13. diesel

diesel

Excellent read, 10mm.:flag:

14. makes me want to get a 460 AND 500. I like them in the 5"-6" barrel length.

15. diesel

diesel

Me too, darn your hide, 10mm.....LOL!!!!!:flag:

I'm a history lover. That article was right down my alley, bro.

Last edited: August 1, 2015
  16. planning on going to FFF tomorrow to look at them.

don't know which'll be first,the 460 or the 500. I've got 500brass,460brass,454Casull brass,45LC brass,no dies yet,no bullets yet,plenty of primers and powder.

Last edited: August 1, 2015
  17. diesel

diesel

Let us know how you make out and what they cost if you don't mind.:peace::flag:

18. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I think I would choose the .460 I like the 3 in 1 and the flat shooting .460 would fill the bill long range shooting.:thumbs:

19. Well, I went to FFF.They had both of the ones I wanted to see. Overall they had 2 460s' and 2 500s'. In the 460s' were a 5" and a performance center 4" carry. In the 500s' were a 6.5" and a 8.4". I held both the 460 5" and the 500 6.5". I was expecting heft and weight,nope,felt like N frames. The PC 4" 460 was 1400/1500,don't remember exact. The 5" 460 with a MSRP of 1369 was 1160+T. The 6.5" 500 with a MSRP of 1299 was 1120+T. He said they're always in stock so no future problem. I'll go after one of them in September because there's a M28 4" down by cincy I hope to get this week,IF it's not sold. I liked them both and want both,I liked the 500 better but the 460 would be more versatile,but since I'm planning on both,it really doesn't matter which one first. With either one I'd need to acquire bullets. For the 500,a die set. For the 460,a 460 die set,a 454Casull die set,and a 45LC die set. At this point,I don't know if a 460 die set will do the other two. the 454 set would probably do the 45LC just as a 357 set will do 38sp.
    The firearms handgun counters were BUSY,lot of paperwork being filled out. Otherwise the store was empty. Nothing in the 'used' counter,picked up a 4" python there a month ago.
    Was also looking at some 511 apparel,wanted a jacket/coat but didn't have the required size and wanted a zippered hoodie but again not the size. I have 511 tactical shorts and tactical pants that are excellent for not losing things on Cedar Points' rollercoasters.

a little bit of photoshopping to bring the two to the same relative size
    [​IMG]

Last edited: August 2, 2015