Taurus 431

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Jeff H, December 22, 2011.

1. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    Man, I don't see these very often, let alone a three-inch and in stainless to boot.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Taurus .44 Special

They are a bit bulky compared to a Bulldog but are small compared to a 624. I have had a three-inch, a four-inch and a six-inch but only paid something like $250 to $275 brand new. I don't think this guy is out of line on his price, although he is out of my budget range at the moment.

Oh, Saaaaaaantaaaaaaaa? Are you listening???:cool:

Oh, well. I suppose this time of year he's a bit busy to be surfin' gun forums.:(

2. You would have to post that Jeff, that listing is in Toledo no less. Talk about killing me here. :eek:

I hope that Santa is listening and brings you what you want sir. I know that Santa has spent his load for my household.

3. forrest r

forrest r

I've never had a Taurus in 44spl but I've owned several bulldogs & plan on getting another one. There's just something about the 44spl that appeals to me, I shoot my 624 quite a bit & would love to have another pocket pistol in 44spl.

4. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    Between my Dad and myself, we have had every variation of the original Taurus .44 Special. Same for the Bulldogs, and I wish I still had the 3" Stainless one I traded toward a 3" SP101 several years ago. I have put many thousands of rounds through the Bulldogs and they hold up and are accurate, contrary to what some (who probably are to proud to own one) try to claim for them as a general rule as opposed to the odd "lemon" here and there.

Incidently, the Smith 624 is a magnificent piece and I have always admired the N-frames, having owned a 4" 624 and a blue 4" 25 in .45 Colt. They are just too big for me, but I love them - they are a work of art. That said, regarding the "odd lemon," the worst such gun I ever bought was the 624. It had ten major flaws, several of which prevented if from even firing - right out of the box. Smith sort of made good on the repairs to the brand new gun but I ended up completing the work when I got it back. So, if a Smith can be that bad once in a while, I am certain there have been a few stinkers in the Charter offering over time as well.

I finally found a like-new 4" CA Target Bulldog. Along with the Lipsey's Flat Top .44 Special, I have two great shooters, but I have a spare NIB Lipsey's in the safe that I may let go to finance a 4 5/8" .44 Special Vaquero I have been drooling over.

Ruger Vaquero Model KNV44S Revolver 5147, 44 Special, 4 5/8 in, Stainless / Black Checkered, 6 Rd, F

Why, I have no idea, because I have a couple fantastic 'Specials now and I should focus on a 3" carry piece, but it sure would make a neat field-gun, even if the Target Bulldog already is and weighs a LOT less. It's the one frivolous gun want I have or have had in some time.

5. Nathan Hale

Nathan Hale

A, A
    I have owned a Taurus 44 special in the past, and had no problems, that having been said, I must warn everyone that I work in retail Firearms sales, and Taurus is the number one gun returned for service. 28% of all the Taurus Firearms we sell are returned to the manufacturer for service. I believe that it is a quality control issue at Taurus, and not a manufacturing or design issue. I have seen problems in the Tracker both in 357 & 44 Mag, mostly timing. I am not trying to offend anyone here, I know there are those who love Taurus, I just want to offer some friendly advise. As a Firearms professional I can not recommend any Taurus product, Sorry.

6. Nathan Hale

Nathan Hale

A, A
    I would like to add that I own a Ruger SP 101 J, and it is without a doubt my favorite revolver along with my old model 66, which was my first duty weapon.

7. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    From my own limited experience with Taurus (mostly from 15 - 20 years ago), I have no issues with the "older" ones - late eighties to mid-ninties. What is going on right now seems to be happening concurrently with increased popularity and sales - and introducing scads of new models in a short time. I personally think they have spread themselves too thin and are trying to make stuff too fast right now.

I have a Taurus/Rossi '92 Carbine in .357 that I bought early this year which was horrendous in terms of just simply not being finished (as in "complete" or "done") before it left the factory. It took me a while but I got it squared away and it is a fine shoorter and it is reliable, but it took many hours on my part to do the ework they should have - especially for over $400.

My Dad recently bought a new Gaucho and returned it (on Taurus's insistant urging) over a minor base pin retention part and they DESTROYED it once they got it because "it was defective and discontinued." That, I feel, was a pretty sleezy move on their part, so watch out if you think you might have to return one. They offered to replace it with something else and he picked a Tracker in .41 mag. He got it and doesn't like it and I wouldn't own it myself. They should have reimbursed him what he paid, not send him another piece that is NOT what he bought.

That said, no offense taken regarding your comments. I agree 100% and have much less kind things to say about Taurus as it exists today. For the right money, I wouldn't mind having an older 431 though. Like I said with regard to the Vaquero though, I really should be looking for another old 3" Bulldog right now.

The SP101 is a fine arm and the .357 a fine cartridge. Put the two together and you have one incredible combination. I only moved mine because I am still paring things down.