Steel case ammo.....I'll pass.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by rjrivero, January 9, 2013.

1. rjrivero

rjrivero

Interesting article done by Luckygunner.com
    The upshot is that steel cased ammo pretty much sucks. The ferrous jacket chews up the chrome lined bores within 6000 rounds. Less than half of the life expectancy for these barrels with "good" stuff.

2. The thought of running steel rounds through a weapon has just never sat well with me. I don't care how cheap they sell it. They can keep it.

3. MikeH121

MikeH121

Although steel has been used in the Mosin. All the new stuff is poly coated and you cannot melt it with a torch. Older stuff was laquered so some of the surplus may just burn off that coating.

Any new stuff is fine. It is cheap and the Ruskies use it Tula and the like. Tula has been around for 50+ years.

If you are firing 6000 rounds you will need to start thinking about replacing stuff. Daniel Defense barrels for the AR are rated at 50,000 rds. STAG barrels at 39,000 rounds. If those barrels can withstand that much they can handle steel ammo. Besides which of us is gonna fire 30,000 + rounds out of our AR's? And I think your springs would have already been changed, your mag release, your selector and trigger group all would have been replaced. Your upper and lower would be wobbly. Your buffer and spring, Hell at 30,000 the only usable original part may be the barrel.

The AK's and SKS's pretty mush use steel ammo around the world. As do the Makarov cartridge pistols.

Check out MAC The Truth About Wolf Ammo - YouTube he pretty much answers some questions.

4. rjrivero

rjrivero

Any chrome lined barrel should be able to last 20,000 rounds MINIMUM. Some of the harder coated barrels, Like Melanite etc. should last 50,000 rounds. To take a chrome lined barrel and degrade it to double the MOA in 6,000 rounds isn't the case, it's the bullet. The sintered steel coated bullet is wearing the rifling much faster than a copper jacketed bullet. That's my take home from the test. It doesn't bother me. My job description is "breaker of all things new." But not everyone can replace a barrel as a tax write off.

5. MikeH121

MikeH121

They ARE copper coated. Copper over steel over lead. So it is the copper shell running down the barrel. The steel casing is coated with polymers that you cannot melt with a torch, just do not expand or cool as fast as brass. Like he says, there is more carbon blowback with steel ammo so you gotta clean it more.