SR1911 CMD Fit & Finish

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by BuckJM53, April 26, 2015.

1. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

After spending a few range sessions with my new Commander (now at 400 flawless rounds), I wanted to take a moment and offer my initial thoughts for what they are worth. While I know that some reading this probably aren't excited about or comfortable with with the SR's cast frame and MIM parts, I must say that this relatively inexpensive pistol has so far exceeded my expectations.

Finish
    In one word .... Flawless. It was perfect out of the box and looks IMHO equal to stainless steel pistols costing hundreds/thousands more.

Fit
    While I was impressed with the fit the day of purchase, the digital calipers confirmed what I already suspected to be true:
    1. Slide to frame fit - uniform and very good at .0019 clearance (no "slop" vertically or horizontally).
    2. Barrel to bushing fit - very good with a .0017 clearance
    3. Bushing to slide fit - good with a .0023 clearance (it can be removed with my fingers but is much easier to remove with the bushing wrench).
    4. While in battery, there was no perceptible vertical movement when pressing on the barrel hood.
    5. Both magazines had a positive lock and a proper release with no hangups.

Accuracy
    While I've seen reports (Gunblast and others) demostrating that these pistols are capable of sub 2" groups at 25 yards from a Ransom rest, my only concern is what it will do in my hands out to 10 yards or so. So far it has consistently produced sub 2" groups off hand at 10 yards, which in my book makes it plenty accurate for my needs.

At the end of the day, while the SR1911 is certainly not a match grade Les Baer, Nighthawk or Ed Brown, it is a pretty impressive production 1911 for the price IMHO :). (YMMV)

2. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    My friend has the full size SR 1911 and I also found fit and finish to good. So while at a local gun store I looked at one it was priced at $738.00 told my wife my OT would pay for that. As I do like and shoot 1911s. A third one would not hurt a bit. Nice review on a Ruger as many people are not fans of.:)

3. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

Daniel ... If you shop around a little bit you may be able to shave off about $100.00 from that $738.00. I bought mine from a small shop south of Dayton and was able to get out the door for $635.00 :)

4. mbott

mbott

I'm fortunate enough to own both, and do carry both when required. No issues encountered with either.

--
    Mike