shortage

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by diesel, September 11, 2015.

1. diesel

diesel

I spoke with an ammo dealer at the Rogers Flea market this morning and did not care for what he said. I asked for .22 mag ammo and he just laughed, said its the first thing to go cuz its so hard to find. Then he went on to tell me to buy what i could afford as a tremendous ammo shortage is about to hit. Said the last big lead smelter just closed its doors and they are all hoarding cuz the price is going to sky rocket.
    Anyone else heard of this alleged shortage?:timeout::flag:

2. Probably is not gonna happen !!! The last big lead smelter that was forced to close refined lead from mining and most(95%) of that lead goes for lead/acid batteries. Batteries might get more expensive,but considering how long a car battery lasts(with proper maintenance and charging),the additional cost,amortized on a per year basis,would be low. The lead recycling smelters(none of which are closing) provide the lead for ammo. Lead recycling source is batteries,ammo,and medical(lead shielding). China is expected to be a future source for automotive batteries.

3. I can tell you from experience working in auto parts, that batteries HAVE gone up in price and the core charge has also. They are reusing just about ALL parts of the old batteries now. Lead is being recycled as is the plastic casing from what I am told.

Trying to get wheel weights is a daunting task as well because of government oversight on the lead.

4. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Someone I know has lead he gave me 10lbs for free it's pure soft lead. He told me yesterday that he'll give me his lead stash for free. So yesterday I bought him some beer to grease the wheels. He has a few hundred pounds so this is good for me and I'll share some when he comes thru.

5. Wow! Yeahow keep me in mind I am always looking for lead.

6. I posted a couple years ago that I got lot of wheel weight lead to give away. 'Pay it forward' brass I'll send,no way I'm sending lead.

7. I am in talks wit ha local auto shop here for some wheel weights as well. Hopefully I can get them to release them. Fingers crossed that working to Autozone will help a little. o_O

8. Yeah lead is gonna cost a lot to send for sure, LOL.

9. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Oldman10mm how many pounds do you think you have?

10. I almost forgot, my father-in-law has tons of it as well melted into lyman bars from his black powder days. I'll have to see if I can snag those from him as he does not shoot anymore at all. :D

11. "my father-in-law has tons of it" Tons ???

somebody has to show me/teach me how to 'quote' !!!

I've got 6 of the plastic Maxwell House coffee containers full of wheel weight lead.

12. diesel

diesel

I have enough soft lead to fill 2 or 3 coffee cans. Used to make my own sinkers. As I do not fish any longer, anyone who wants it can have it.
    Let me know.:flag:

13. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Have to figure in a road trip 2 birds one stone would like to meet you and oldman10mm. I wonder if Andy would be in for a road trip?

14. tried to get together with diesel last year to pass onto him my large worn out files for knife making,he cancelled out,files went for scrap value right after that. tried a few times to get together with Daniel during my trips to Michigan and camp perry,those never materialized. I've tried. My only successes were with OGCjason at an indoor range in Amherst and preppertraining in Columbus.

15. diesel

diesel

I would also like to meet you gents. Let me know if anything materializes as I will do my best to show up. I'm retired now so it should be easier for me.
    I could pass this fair sized portion of lead off to you guys as well.:flag:

16. Uhhh, hmmm, well...HELL YEA! I am up for any lead you wanna unburden yourself with sir.

I always wanted to meet up with Diesel and Oldman10mm. I just have to coordinate with Dan on time and make sure to get off work for it. I also need some time to get the shirts together as well. I was working on them recently and then, well, the motor went in my car and now $3500 later I am paying back my father. I have to give a big thanks to my parents though for the support both morally and financially in that case, could not have done it without them.

diesel likes this.