Selling a registered gun?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by djsonday, March 17, 2013.

1. djsonday

djsonday

I was wondering about selling a registered gun. I know Ohio doesn't register guns. I was stationed in California during my time in the Marine Corps and purchased one of my handguns while I was out there and now I am looking to sell it to a buddy that is legally allowed to own it. The gun is reregistered in my name from when I purchased it in Cali. So is there any issues or hoops I have to jump threw in order to sell it to him or is F2F ok.

2. What are the California rules/laws for selling a firearm that is registered to you ?
    What are the federal implications about a handgun sale across state lines ?
    What are the California rules/laws for selling a firearm across state lines that is registered to you ?

I would find out those answers first.

3. djsonday

djsonday

I am not selling it across state lines. I live in Ohio again and when I was in the Marines my home of recored was still ohio so I always had an Ohio ID. If your military you can buy a gun in the state you are stationed in with your orders and your ID from your home of recored state.

4. much different situation than assumed by your original post/question. since ohio doesn't have regisration,are you refferring to just a background check ?

5. djsonday

djsonday

No. Sorry if I wrote it in a confusing way. I was just wanting to make sure there was no issues with me selling it to him since it is registered to me in Cali. I know he will pass a background check. He is my soon to be brother in law and I was with him a week ago when he bought his new 870.

6. There's what you have to do and there's what you should do. What you have to do is nothing, just a FTF, what you should do, because of the way things are in the country and society, is get a signed sold-to.
    Your decision.

7. djsonday

djsonday

We are doing a bill of sale. Thanks.

8. MikeH121

MikeH121

There was a reg customer in a LGS, he was talking about a used S&W 357. He came from , can't remember which state, but he sold it to a neighbor. But never reported the registered gun sold. He is in Ohio now, but said last year he got a call from the Po-Po, the guy he sold it to was sitting on his porch smoking weed with a BB-Gun, scaring kids. He was arrested. The cops removed all firearms. They got in touch with the guy and he got the gun back.

They were evaluating the old guy in a mental. Said the gun was still registered to him, he got it back.

At least get a bill of sale.