• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Ruger PCC

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
OK, I couldn't take it any longer. All these guys were getting into the PCC shoot at the IDPA, USPSA and Steel matches (and 3-Gun) and it looked like it was something that could be fun.

Convinced myself that I needed one of the myriad of Pistol Caliber Carbines out there and settled in on the Ruger in 9mm.

Sweet rifle for sure. I'll be going over it closely tonight and getting familiar with it and then will hit the range tomorrow afternoon to see what it can do.

Although I still have the regular AR-15 in .223/5.56, it really can't be used in any of the shooting sports, especially if there are any steel targets involved so I figured it was either a PCC or an AR clone in 22LR. With the PCC in 9mm I can shoot it in several venues as I see fit. With the 22LR AR, it can only run in Steel Challenge.

AD (and it takes all my Glock mags!!)

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
The ability for the Ruger to use ALL of my 9mm Glock magazines was a big deal in deciding what to get.

Shot it tonight for the first time in a match and took the top spot on my squad. I even beat myself with the other gun being the SW Victory (22LR). That kind of surprised me. Didn't think the PCC could beat a rim fire 22 with an optic!

Shows what I know, eh?

AD

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
Sounds like a good time was has of course. I'll have to look that Ruger even though I am not a big fan of theirs.

I just recently built an AR-10 in .308, and AR-15 in 5.56 and .224 Valkyrie. Also working on another .224 and a 6.5 CM upper.

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
I've got what might be considered an odd question.....

What do you guys do with your rifle caliber AR's? Yes, I have a 223/556 AR-15 that is fun to shoot but I can't really USE it anywhere as you can't shoot steel targets with it and other than normal rifle ranges, it leaves you with no place to shoot it except in the woods.

Am I missing something with my AR?

AD

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
Well, I have MANY AR's in various calibers. multiple 5.56, 300 Blackout, .308 and of course .224 Valkyrie. I have one of those are completed and I am waiting for a couple of parts and I'll have a second one. I am also waiting for PSA to get the 6.5 Creedmoor back in stock so I can get an upper in that caliber as well. ;)

I guess I am just building them for the sake of building them. It's fun for me and, well, you could probably call me and AR hoarder.

As for shooting, my dad and I have a range thats on farm land for us to shoot at various ranges. Unfortunately we've been unable to go because of my work and his medical issues.

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
OK, I've got the Ruger PCC "dialed in" at 100 yards now which means I can zero the AR-15 in at 200 yards.

As I can barely SEE out to 100 yards, anything inside of that is toast!

The reason I can see out to 200 with the AR is because it has a Burris scope on it.

I can't imagine shooting at anything 200 yards out, but at least I've got a rifle ready for it. The Ruger PCC is now my Wednesday night rifle for Steel Challenge and the second gun is the S&W Victory pistol. That way I've got both divisions covered with my buddies.

I'll use the Winchester 94 as my saddle gun.

AD

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
I am trying to get out to the range to get the .224 dialed in. It is good out to 1000 yards with very little wind drift and drop.

I have an Athlon Optics , Argos BTR 8-34 x 56 First Focal Plane and 56mm objective lens. I figured that should cover the distance variable.

You're not an AR hoarder. The AR platforms give us the ability to change caliber/cartridge. Couldn't really do that with bolt action rifles,had to change barrels and set headspace. I've got 1 AR,a DPMS 'Oracle',removed the collapseable stock and put a fixed A2 stock on it and removed the flash suppressor and put a thread protector on it. I've had 3 others,a DPMS 'sweet sixteen',a DPMS AR10,and a Rock River Arms AR9 (9mm). I've transitioned back to 'conventional' rifles. Eventually want to get a Ruger Mini14 of later manufacture. I had an early one but no accuracy in it,but it never needed cleaning,kept functioning no matter how 'dirty' the action would get.
The 224 Valkyrie has been getting some good 'comments'.
Speaking of distance,the tiny 17cal bullets from my Rem 700 17Rem were difficult to see on paper at 200yds even with the 6-24 scope.. Was a favorite of my daughter,her 'one shot one kill' 200yd on unopened pop cans.

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
Well my wife would argue the point of hoarding. LOL

Yeah I am working to get the second .224 the way I want it. Parts just keep rolling in trying to complete it. I have two different uppers one PSA and one Daniel Defense.

Not hoarding,different purposes. For cooking,do we have only one pot/pan ? No, different puposes and also different size pots/pans (same with calibers/cartridges}. For footwear,do we have only one pair ? No,different uses.

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Put 300 rounds through the Ruger shooting "off shoulder" or weak hand as it were today. Found out that was a weakness I had from Monday night's shoot!

Took a little getting used to the sight picture but I was taking head shots at 50 yards with good times by the time I ran out of ammo so I think I've got that under control. I'll know more on Wednesday night at the Steel Shoot.

AD

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Today I changed over the charging handle on the Ruger to the left side to facilitate a quicker mag change/reload combination.

With the charging handle on the left, I can keep my right hand steady on the stock and eye on the target through the entire procedure.

Will be testing it in tonight's match. Seems to work well in the garage.

AD

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
An update on the Ruger PCC. It is now sporting a very nice Burris Fastfire 3 "Red Dot" optic.

Sits nice and low on the top rail and comes up very fast from the low ready.

It allowed me to shoot "Expert" on the IDPA PCC Classifier so I think I'm pretty happy with it.

I've been monitoring my Wednesday night Steel Challenge times and after the initial (and normal) problems with getting used to running an optic "for real" the times have matched up with my "iron sight" times and should be coming down even more. At least that what my spreadsheet trendlines are showing.

One of the early problems was that I was running a pretty crappy optic to test them out and it was costing me some time. This new Burris is spot on and hold registration perfectly for the entire match. This is what I was looking for.

AD