Ruger Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by diesel, July 23, 2012.

1. diesel

diesel

Anyone know anything about old model Blackhawks? Any help or advice would be highly appreciated. Need to know if grips on this gun may be factory. View attachment 200

2. cableguy

cableguy

By old model, you mean 2 screw frame, no transfer bar? And those grips, I'm almost positive that the are not factory, Where did you get it? It's nice. I had one with white plastic grips on it. I sold it to finance another purchase. It was a 45colt/acp convertible. You got a cool gun there.

3. diesel

diesel

Its a 3 screw, Cable. I saw an old flat top(same as this one) made in May of 1960 with a serial # 24400 something or other. Mine has a # of 10644 so i assume it was made in late 58 or early 59. As production started in 1956, i assume it is an old model.
    Got it at a garage sale in Columbiana for a good price. It's in .44 Mag.(would much rather it'd been in .45LC) and in about 90-95% condition. Any time i see a big bore for less than $300, i bye it.
    Im a smith guy and know nothing about the Rugers. I figured the grips were after-market, but i seen ruger grips on Gunbroker that were very similar to these and they were ruger factory. I thought all ruger factory grips had the "eagle" emblem on them but after some research, i found this not to be the case with some of the older ones.
    Thanx for the info C.G.

4. cableguy

cableguy

Hey no problem. 44mag for less then 300 in almost any make is a good deal. the black hawk I had was of 90's vintage. I would like to get another blackhawk in stainless with 4.75 inch barrel in .357 mag. So I could get a 9mm cylinder and have 3 calibers in 1 gun.

5. diesel

diesel

After a little more research, i found the ruger was made in "58" Took it to my friend the gunsmith and he said the bar was installed sometime earlier but it's definitly an old model. You were right bro, the grips are after market. Apparently ruger installed the safety bar at one time on a recall.