Remington 700 5R....Bolt Action Goodness!

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by rjrivero, September 30, 2012.

1. rjrivero

rjrivero

This is a new to me Remington 700 5R. It's a limited production run from Remington using the stainless steel 5R barrel that they use on their M24 Sniper Rifles for the US Army. You won't find them in their catalog. They make them when they have the extra barrels. It comes with the HS Precision Stock, and this one was factory with the Gemtech HVT Quick Detach fitting. Since I won't have a Gemtech HVT ever, I'll re work this with an Ops Inc collar when and if my 30 caliber suppressor ever comes in!

Meanwhile, it's wearing a Vortex PST 4-16x50mm scope. I'm hoping to get a chance to sight it in tomorrow. Anyone up for a range trip??
    [​IMG]

2. Dammit!

Now I have to find a towel and clean up all this drool on my keyboard.

AD

3. Damn am I jealous and drooling as well.

4. SO how did the zero shoot go?? Give us a field report. :D

5. rjrivero

rjrivero

Didn't make it yesterday. Will try again Thursday!

Last edited: October 3, 2012
  6. diesel

diesel

Fantastic piece, RJ. The rifle is beautiful.:shocker:

7. rjrivero

rjrivero

Well, that day started frustrating. I put the scope on it, and then bore sighted to the best of my meager abilities and tried to put some rounds on a target. The ground was wet enough that it was pretty much impossible for me to see where the impacts were as I was floundering out there on the range. It wasn't until another shooter showed up that we could get a good idea of where the rounds were hitting and started walking them in to the target.

But once it was on target, man this thing is FUN!! Ringing the steel gong out to 300 yards is really almost too easy with this rig. With crappy bulk .308 I was putting round on top of round at 300 on the freshly painted gong. Man was that FUN!

8. MikeH121

MikeH121

Shooter's Supply in Loveland we were just BS'ing about guns and the I asked about the Ruger American Rifle in 30.06, they just sold 2 in .243 and .270 Win He was saying the remington 710 has a problem the bolt comes out on some.

They also stopped carrying Taurus, because they seen too much crap. And they now carry Rock Island, and except for the cheapest priced one, which has a Parkerized finish, they have it just warn if you want to keep it pretty, it shoots it just looks ugly faster, but they are solid 1911's.

They were also outta the XDS :banghead:

Was in One Shot in newtown today they had 1 XDS but it was sold already.

So the 700 should be fine just avoid the 710's

Goto the 8 min mark and watch on the 710

Accuracy test .308 vs 30-06 - YouTube

9. Sarah

Sarah

I would like to recommend Remington is offering new 700 SPS Tactical 300 Blackout which is an ideal rifle for both military.

10. rjrivero

rjrivero

As much as I enjoy the 300 Blackout, it's not really on the same playing field as the 308 Winchester.