reloading

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by daniellawecki, February 27, 2014.

1. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I buy my lead from Rotometals

Last edited: March 1, 2014
  2. The heaviest bullet I have used to my 44 mag's is 155 grain.
    The bullet I like is 250 gr Keith type SWC.
    The powders I use with it Is Blue Dot for mid-range and H110 and 296 Winchester for mag loads.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

3. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    The 250gr SWC I have that down pat so I'm going for the big dogs. Some summers I shoot 3,000-4,000 44rds.

4. WOW! That's a lot of 44mag lead. :shocker:

5. figuring 3500 x 250gr = 125 pounds. What a cannonball that would make !
    how much of the lead do you gather to melt and re-cast ?

6. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I teach people to shoot at the gun club. So reloading and shooting are away of life. During hunting season I help people zero the weapons. I'm a true sportsmen that is what THIS SPORT IS ALL ABOUT. I will let someone shoot my ammo and guns so they become another shooting brother. Some things are not about money I've had some and I've had a lot I'm on the high road so it's my duty to help.

7. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    One year I shot 9,000 rds thru my 44mag in a summer had little micro fractures in my finger bones.

8. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

Dan - thanks for the lead on Rotometals. I'm looking at the 25# of lead wire. What does shipping cost on something like that?

I'm thinking about swaging my own bullets on my RCBS rock chucker. I think starting with wire may be easier than trying to find a source and gear to cast my own.

9. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Spend over $99.00 free shipping always look for the green truck icon as well.

10. If you're doing all that reloading,how much powder do you go thru and how much time do you spend reloading/casting ?

11. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I buy powder in 8# kegs only casting at the time I bought stuff I thought about running a business. My setup is nice I dropped $3,500 in the caster used and had to fix and buy things. The casting is only done for a few shooting buddies. I have a Hornady LNL progressive press with goodies. Time spent is during the winter around Holidays, I load one caliber then switch to another caliber till all are reloaded. I keep my loaded brass in plastic 6-1/2 qt containers. I shoot jacketed bullets in the AR15 and 22k hornet 30/06. I get on kicks right now I'm buying bulk .223 loaded ammo at $100.00 per 200 rds just to get enough brass. to reload. My brass in a calibers has to be over x amount just to reload.

12. What is a $3500 caster and what had to be fixed ?
    Do crimped Mil primers cause a problem with a progressive ?
    What is the 'over x amount' amount ?

Last edited: March 3, 2014
  13. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Magma Engineering Auto casting machine 8 2 cavity molds. New they start at $13,000 +. The progressive press has a case feeder & bullet feeder. Caster needed new heating element and a digital timer and general sexing up. In the last 6-7 years is used 2 8lb kegs Clays 1 8lb 2400 some H110 last of my 296 in the old metal can with screw on lid. And some 1lb plastic jugs of 231 Titegroup and Lil Gun which I tried in my 22K Hornet. The groups were not to my liking. My 38 special brass is well over 5,000 so to me I like to have at least 1,000 of any brass in my stable.

14. That 1000 target is also my target
    My inventory of brass(with primers,powder,bullets to match)
    9mm-1600
    38/357-900
    40/10mm-1400
    223/5.56-1400
    308/7.62-1100

15. One day I shot 250 rounds out of my 44 mag. Thank goodness for reloading and casting bullets.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

16. Is casting bullets for 9mm,38/357,40/10,44 on a small scale difficult ?

17. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    On Good Friday every year I take guys from work up to the club. I take 15 handguns and all the ammo & targets. I make them carry the ammo down to the range. Its the same 4 or 5 people every year. They all have a good time once in awhile during the shooting I my pop off a shot at some 100yrd targets standing with open sights. They shoot at 7yrds & 25 yrds it take's a lot of ammo for them to have a good time. But its times like that I'll never forget.

18. take some pictures this year and post them.

19. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    oldman10mm casting is enjoyable even on a small scale with a 4 or 6 cavity mold it doesn't take long. There are videos on Ammosmith .com There is plenty of info on Cast Bullet Association Inc Forum. Or check out Bullets Direct.com The have the best prices on cast. I will never shoot a jacket bullet in any of my handguns not even for hunting. Been shooting cast bullets since 1979 when I bought my first handgun. A good cast bullet out of wheel weights is fine and Whites Lube is awesome I even had a gentleman that would cast bullets for me and they where tumble lube. I could send 50 44swc 250gr to you. Or hook up at Camp Perry.

20. Back in the 70s'/80s', I bought a mold with handles,couldn't tell you for what caliber or how many cavity,haven't seen/run across it in a long long time. Before that, I did make my own mold for 38 cal and cast some silver bullets(gotta be prepared for werewolves),haven't seen that mold(or bullets) in a long long time also.
    Looked up Whites lube and added that site into my reloading sites folder.