Recently test spare magazine carrier

Discussion in 'Accessories & Gear' started by ADulay, August 21, 2013.

1. All,

The age old problem of where to carry a spare magazine in these days of multiple-threat attacks is one that needs to be looked into. So I did!

My usual vertical magazine carriers are a bit bulky and to tell the truth, they are a bit unwieldly to wear and well, look like a magazine holder, no matter what you do to disguise it.

So, one day in a conversation on the IDPA forum, one of the guys jokingly mentions a HORIZONTAL magazine and wondered if it was legal for IDPA shooting. I think we determined that it was, but I was struck by the incredible simplicity of the idea. Wearing a vertical magazine holder is the norm for competition, but you don't need that "speed" in the world, so, I checked out the magazine holder he was joking about.

I checked it out, saw that they had one for my Glock 23 and ordered one.

Been wearing it a month now and it's the greatest thing since the percussion cap.

In fact on several occasions, I've actually checked to see if I'm still wearing it! Yes, it's that comfortable and completely out of the way while still being super quick to grab on the fly.

I'm not a paid informant or in any way related to this company, but I have purchased their product and will buy another one when they come up with the new ones for my "wide body" Glock.

MagHolder.com | Fast. Comfortable. Concealed.MagHolder.com is the web site and they ship fast.

If you're interested in a horizontal magazine carrier for daily carry, this one is working out perfectly for me and I don't believe anyone even notices that it's a magazine!

AD (that link "self expanded" on it's own when I posted it)

2. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

AD ... Thanks for the heads up. I definitely have to try one of these :)

Couldn't wait ... Just bought a 1911 version :D

Last edited: August 22, 2013
  3. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

I received the new magholder via USPS on Tuesday. It works perfectly with both my Wilson Combat and Springfield 1911 mags. After wearing it and practicing mag changes both strong and weak side, I settled on carrying it weak side in the 9 o'clock position (very comfortable :)).

[​IMG]

4. Buck,

Report back here after the first time you think you either lost it or left it somewhere. (hehehe).

AD

5. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

AD ... It is so darn comfortable that it is very easy to forget that it is even there. One of the things that I like best about it is that since it follows the line of your belt, it really doesn't shout Mag Holder. After wearing it openly for 2 days, my wife never even realized that it was a magazine hanging there :)

6. I am looking to get one as well. but I carry my spares behind my back in the small of the back. So I am thinking a right hand version is in order correct??

7. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

WW ... If you're removing the mag with the left hand, the right hand version would be the correct application for small of the back carry.

8. Hmm, hold on a minute.

I just took mine which rides on my weak side (left) and I draw the spare mag using my left hand basically out the rear of the mag holder.

If you slide that all the way back into the small of your back, wouldn't the "open" end of the magazine be too far away and now on the strong side of the shooter?

I do believe you can email the company and they will walk you through how you draw the spare magazine and where you're planning on wearing it.

My email got answered the same day I sent one in.

AD

9. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

AD ... If you have a right hand removal version on the weak side (as a left hander), and slide it around to the small of the back, the magazine would be pointing to the left, which is what a right hander (which I assume WW is) would need to remove it properly with his left hand. :)

10. Aha! I see the error of my ways.

Once I read what you posted and then went through the motions it all made sense again.

I use a left hand removal from my weak side. That's where the confusion came in.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Pretty versatile magazine holder we've got here!!

AD

11. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

Indeed it is. I've already had several friends ask where they can get one. In my correspondence with Mark at MagHolder, he indicated that they are working to expand their line to accommodate Ruger, Kahr and a few others in the near future.