Question about Old Ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by OhioPatriot, January 5, 2014.

1. Hello to Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum. I've been reading and it looks like a friendly place to be a part of.

I have a question to start off with.

I inherited a Winchester model 37, 12 gauge shotgun and some very old ammo. The ammo is probably 30 to 40 years old. I'm wondering if there is a shelf life on the ammo and if there is a stability problem with it. I have a couple boxes of each of the following in 12 Gauge:

Maxum brand by C-I-L Ammunition, Inc.
    Western Super X Winchester-Western Division of Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp.
    Remington "Power Piston" Plastic Trap Loads
    Remington Express Plastic

Any help that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

OhioPatriot.

2. 30-40 years old would put it 1974-1984. That's modern day ammo,should be OK.

forgot to say Welcome to the forum !

Last edited: January 5, 2014
  3. As long as the ammo has been at least half way taken care of (not laying outside or in a barn somewhere) it should be good to go.

I've got handgun and shotgun ammo here from the early 1970's and it still shoots just fine.

I've been slowly shooting it up in order to get my entire stock of ammo "up to date", but the amount that I have laying around has not given me any trouble.

As long as the shotgun shell "paper" (really old) or the container is in good shape with no obvious leaks or corrosion, it'll fire just fine.

AD

4. diesel

diesel

Inspect the area where the plastic/paper enters the brass. If you see any green cleanser looking build-up, it's probably best to pitch it. Also, look for the same around the primer.
    Like the others said, if it was stored inside it should be fine.:flag: