• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Postal shoot

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
Sorry Dan, for some reason I cannot get active members here. Some are active for a month or two and then disappear. I wish more people would be active and participate in the forums and the postal shoot. I am open for ideas on how to bring in active members btw.

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Sorry Dan, for some reason I cannot get active members here. ..... . I am open for ideas on how to bring in active members btw.
Andy,

Well, you're not alone.

Most, if not all, forums have the same problems, especially one that has just recently opened.

What usually happens is the general euphoria of the new forum, the new members coming in, a lot of new threads and all that.

However, with time, the users either slowly drift away due to other forums capturing their attention, a lack of "fresh" thread ideas and an overall lack of participation.

At that point, the forum either stagnates or takes off on another direction.

As a "gun" specific forum, a crowded segment for sure, having a critical mass of users is important and needed. Having only a dedicated group of users is not enough.

Even in forums with 100,000 members, you still only get a core set of users who do 95% of the posting!!

Then again, a lot of people don't wish to participate and only wish to read, learn and perhaps add their own input when required. This is normal.

Now, look at what we've got here. It's a gun forum. We talk about guns! Very cool but also very subject specific.

It's like people who go to the range, shoot off a box of ammo or two and call it a day. You can only do that some many times before it dawns on your that you're doing the same thing over and over and slowly cut back on the trips to the range. If nobody is putting in "new" things for the brain to comprehend, you'll drift off into something else.

This seques into the reason I post up those IDPA videos and shots. It hopefully makes people think about something else and see another side of just shooting. When I finish my Glock armorer's class, I'll probably start posting up pictures of springs and pins and things. These will be my small efforts to help people see other things in the gun game.

Anyway, to get back on track, the idea of a "Postal" match is a good way to build the participation in the forum. What I believe may have happened is many people don't know what it is and a lot of people will be afraid to show their shooting skills! It's one of the hardest thing we have to overcome in IDPA shooting. The new person won't come in because they think everyone will be looking at them and making snarky comments. IT'S JUST NOT LIKE THAT!!

So, to anyone still left reading this convoluted message, get yourself ready to shoot in the Postal match. I think it can be kept to under a box of ammo and be simple enough for everyone to join in.

I'm thinking having a high power (45 and 40), regular (9mm, 380's, 38spcl, etc) and rimfire (22's) as separate categories. Just an idea.

I'd vote for a "Senior" division, but that would just be my take on it. Of course we'd still need more than 5 or 6 shooters, but we could pull it off with less than a dozen for the FIRST year. The next year would be bigger once everybody saw our results on ESPN8 (The Ocho) some late night!

So, first order of business. NRA targets (check). What type of shooting? Freestyle? One handed NRA stance?

Distance? (10-50 yards?). Shot on timer with scoring? Shot with no timer?

Just things to consider.

I'll post up a "tentative" course of fire for all to consider in the next message. It should accomodate autos and revolvers equally.

AD (my fingers hurt)

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Well, if you're reading this thread, you're at least interested in shooting in the Postal match.

With that said, I'd like to ask a question with reference to what types of shooting venues we all have.

The question is:

"Do you have access to an outdoor, unrestricted shooting area"? (Yes/No)

"Is your ONLY avenue to shoot at an indoor/restricted target type of range"? (Yes/No)

"Approximately how many rounds should use for the total course of fire?"

This comes into play if you are not able to set up more than one target at a time and if you're restricted in the distances that can be used.

Obviously if you have access to an "open range" type of setup, you can use any distance and number of targets.

If we have members who can only shoot at an indoor facility with a lot of rules, we'll have to make sure they can participate.

So, what do you all have available to you to shoot at?

Me? I'm very lucky in that I have pretty much an unrestricted range, multiple targets and distances so I'll try to make a "sample" course to fit whatever we need.

My current thoughts with the "initial" course of fire will max out at 15 or 20 yards, depending on which targets we use.

AD

Last edited:

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
OK, here's a starting point to hash around, beat up and change as needed!!

This is ONLY a starting point!!!!!

Basic Rules:

Shoot your normal carry gun OR shoot pretty much anything in your arsenal? (We can vote on this)

Any ammo is acceptable if it's legal in your state and on your range.

You may run your own timer if need be (on your belt, random start, etc). This assumes we even decide to time the rounds.

Three separate targets are needed. The NRA B-3 will work unless something equally accessible to everyone is wanted.

If using a timer, do we want at least one stage with a reload "on the clock"? If so, Stage One will work with a reload after 6 shots.

The course of fire:

Stage 1 - 10 yards - Freestyle - Ten Shots - Target #1
Stage 2 - 7 yards - Strong Hand Only - Six Shots - Target #2
Stage 3 - 7 yards - Weak Hand Only - Six Shots - Target #2
Stage 4 - 15 yards - Freestyle - Six Shots - Target #3 (Ten shots would work, too)
Stage 5 - 20 yards - Freestyle - Six Shots - Target #3 (Ten shots would work, too)

There you go. 34 or 42 shots total. Scoring would be Center-X count and then points as hit.

Should we go with a timed shoot, your time would be the clock (beep to last shot) plus "0" for hits on the black, +3 seconds for hits on the white scoring areas and +5 seconds for a miss.

Personally, I'd like to see a larger target to shoot at, but for the time being, the NRA B-3 will suffice.

This PROPOSED course of fire is not set in stone or even close to what we'll probably wind up with, but I wanted to get something out there to get this started. All ideas are welcomed and I'm just trying to accomodate everybody's shooting style to include revolvers and autos equally.

AD

PS, Or, we could all just shoot in an NRA sponsored Postal match using their rules and compare our times online!

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
First off wow best post ever. Thank you for getting this out there.

Yes you are right about the forum. I just wish people would be more active but I only hope not force.

Third in the line up. I do hope that more people hop on board with the postal shoot. I think it will be fun and hopefully draw attention to the community here.

Also in closing is anyone seeing blank messages here? I have a report that after the poll went up it blanked the messages.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What I read A Dulay I like the rules and I was going along the same lines. I'll pop for targets and postage. Also you may pm me Guys lets get involved here let us know also do you perfer early spring. Weather for us up north will have to be a factor. If your in Northwest Ohio near the Mich line the club I belong to Will BE Open to all guest SHOOTERS 50" indoor awell as the outdoor shooting range which is covered. I have friends in the shooting game which I'll ask for prizes Plus I'll kick in some thing as gifts. So I'll open the pole again get off your chain in front of the TV. You have nothing to lose you may learn about loads used and guns used. I'm on serveral forums but I come back to the HOME GROWN RIGHT HERE IN OHIO. Also while I'm on the roll talk about your favorites loads guns and if you shoot reloaded or cast bullets. This is your FORUM so lets make it BETTER> RANT OVER SHOOTER RELOADER GUN NUT.:banghead:

Last edited:
When I checked the forum on my computer, this thread had blank posts. My phone and tablet were fine.
I'm starting to get stoked for this shoot!
I have a RDS on my carry piece. I can swap out the slides to keep things fair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
Glad the posts are back. Had a couple of reports that posts went blank after the poll was introduced. I am sorry I deleted the poll but I had to see what the problem might be. Still not 100% sure why just a poll would do that but it did. Still no resolution either from Vbulletin support. :(

the poll was put in after the thread had many posts to it. polls are typically put in first before any posts are made. I'd like to see a new thread started with the poll as put in before any posts are made and see if that was the problem.

Andy Dulay has two wonderful post on page 3 post #24 & #25 about the postal shoot shooting format & basic rules. We would like to have at least 10 shooters. right now ther is 5 shooters. We where thinking of waiting till next fall but this could be a summer thing. "We need to know the following info." So could you reply here or PM us on your take. Also a big THANK- YOU to Andy Dulay he is a stand-up guy. :bow::bow:

Guys ... I don't know how I missed this thread for a week, but I'm always up for a friendly challenge ;). Having set up and run the quarterly contests over at RugerForum.Net for the past four years (with great respect to all the suggestions so far), I have some thoughts (learned the hard way) that may be helpful here as you put the first contest together (please take them for what they're worth).

1. Keep things simple. The more complicated the contest (strong hand, weak hand, 5 distances, move & shoot, etc.) the fewer people who will ultimately participate in the forum setting. With over 30,000 members at RF.Net, we typically have 150 to 200 people that actually download targets (with good intentions) and generally 15 to 30 people who actually post their targets and scores.

2. Understand and accept in advance the fact that you can't please everyone (Lord knows I've tried :(). I've had contests with anywhere from 2 to 10 divisions and can still count on having several complaints each time that something wasn't fair or somebody couldn't enter for some reason :rolleyes:.

3. Make the challenges reasonable for the intermediate to advanced shooters. Contests or specific divisions that are either too easy or too difficult will generally die a horrible death (If you have a division with 7 members tied for 1st place with perfect scores ... it was too easy ... ask me how I know :whistle:).

4. Make the contest fun :D. The most successful contests I've set up to date have been thematic in nature, such as: "Double Distance Challenge", "Blast the Whistle Pig" and a recent one based loosely on Top Shot called "Cans, Golf Balls & Match Sticks".

Anyway (FWIW) ... Just some thoughts from a contest weary mad man :evil:

Last edited:
Yes, I have access to an unrestricted open range (my back yard), where I can shoot up to 50 yards.

I also have access to indoor ranges.

Sign me up to participate... :)

Might I suggest compiling an email distribution list and sending out the shoot out rules and challenges perhaps weekly. Set up one or two people to send this out, and let the games begin!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PrepperTraining

vip
nra
nra instructor
This sounds like a great idea! I like the idea of some sort of fee (maybe through pay-pal) to cover the cost of targets and mail. Maybe even add a little so we can award some prizes. Maybe get someone to sponsor the competition with gift cards (ala Cabellas, Gander Mountain or Ohio Valley)?

Count me in!