PCR (Pistol Caliber Rifle) , Finally!

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by Gatekeeper, April 30, 2014.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

KIt is about time our state allow PCR use. On the ODNR website, this year's hunting laws specifically state the calibers that can be used. I have been wondering, the limits on cartridges present a problem for some rifles, like Winchester and Marlin. Plugging the magazine for a 2+1 capacity. My solution for my 3 year old Henry Big Boy 357 Magnum, I measured a 5/16th oak dowel yesterday, 12 5/8ths inches (the length of 8, 357 Magnum rounds) . This allows 2 in the magazine and one in the chamber.
    For my my Mechtech-Glock 21 45 ACP CCU (Carbine Conversion Unit), the CCU will be legal will with 8 "snap caps" in a 10 round magazine. I wish that they would have included 10mm on the list, in a CCU that would be a combination.

Any thoughts on how to plug any of the other rifles I mentioned? Are "snap caps" the only answer?

Last edited: April 30, 2014
  2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Update:
    Just contacted the ODNR Law Enforcement division, they told me that the "Honor System" will be observed in the capacity area. That includes both rifle and shotgun. How about that?

3. diesel

diesel

I think, my friend, if you read a little further, any weapon that can be "shoulder mounted" is still illegal for Ohio's deer hunting season.:flag:

According to the Ohio Revised Code in the deer hunting section for the 2014-2015 seasons;

Deer hunters CAN do the following;
    A successful deer hunter can aid or assist another hunter who is hunting deer if the deer permit has been filled out, he or she does not carry any hunting implement commonly used to kill wild animals, and has a valid hunting license. Those persons exempted from having a hunting license and deer permits for deer hunting on their property are required to have a hunting license and deer permit to aid another hunter off of their property or hunt deer off of their property.
    Use certain handguns during the youth deer gun season and deer gun season. These handguns must: (a) have a barrel length of not less than 5 inches; (b) use straight-walled cartridges (no shoulder/ neck; straight-tapered wall is acceptable); (c) be .357 caliber or larger; and (d) not be shoulder mounted.

Sounds, to me, like the ODNR law enforcement branch is about as reliable as all other law enforcement in this day + age.
    No dis respect intended toward you, my brother, I seem to have lost faith in todays police officers. :confused: :flag:

Last edited: April 30, 2014
  4. ^Buzz kill.
    Seriously though, I don't get why we can't hunt with rifles on private land in Ohio.

5. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Well like anything it will need adjustments but it's a step in the right direction.

6. diesel

diesel

I totally agree, Thrash. Granted, other than the south and the extreme east of the state, Ohio is fairly flat. That's always been their reasoning, "nothing to stop the rounds." But as far as pistol ammo in a rifle, I see no reason to stop that. It's still straight walled pistol ammo.
    However, todays slug guns and excellent shot gun ammo makes the point moot, in my humble-O. My Savage B-210 is a fully rifled, bolt action slug gun with a fixed 2 round clip. Topped with my Nikon 2-7, I much rather carry this in terms of shear knock-down power. With a Lightfield, 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz, hybred slug, you have your self a surprisingly accurate deer gun out to 100- 125 yards.
    I've missed only one doe with this combo in the last 7 or 8 years.

To answer your question, me thinks, it is purely a political thing.:flag:

7. ^Yes, but hunting deer with a rifle on private land where you know where you can and cannot shoot safely would be no more dangerous than plinking around on the farm. Also, as you stated, recent advancements in technology have made way for shotguns and muzzle loaders to be plenty lethal at longer ranges. A political thing it may be. One that I certainly hope to see over turned soon. I'm gonna miss hunting with a modern rifle down here in the Ozarks, that's for sure.

8. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Well straight wall my choice would be a Marlin lever gun .44 mag 250gr SWC cast bullet. I have no problem with handgun calibers a well placed shot is all it takes. Great brush gun and with open sights the .44 no problem out to 125 yards. Meplate on the .44 vs a rifle in .30 caliber that .44 with right bullet and velocity. Speed does kill but my choice is still BIG BORE mid range velocity DRT deer or wild hog.