Out of State Pennsylvania Permit?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues & Self Defense' started by rjrivero, August 14, 2012.

1. rjrivero

rjrivero

I'm heading to the east side of the state for a training class this coming weekend. (See Paul-E-Palooza post in the training section.)

I am seriously thinking of heading to the PA Boarder to pick up a quickie Pennsylvania Carry Permit. Supposedly only $20 and done while you wait. Wondering if there are any caveat's I need to be aware of before heading out to do this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Please let us know how that goes, I would be interested to know for future travels. :)

3. diesel

diesel

I live right on the state line and went to the New Castle court house just a few months ago. I was handed an application for the permit and told to return it when it was filled out. No way......there is even a section where one needs native Pennsylvainians to attest to your integrity.

4. I went to Lawerence County for mine. You must go through a background check,you must pass criminal background,you must supply two names and addresses of county residents that will vouch for you[they WILL call] and you must wait 30-45 days.Renewal is much the same.

5. no such permit exists unless issued by the court

6. No such requirement. There is a requirement to list 2 references, but nothing in statute says those references must be PA residents. The only stipulation is they not be related to you.

Both of those are sheriff dependent. Some counties will issue on the spot and don't bother calling the references...I've heard Mercer County is like this.

Huh???

Last edited: August 21, 2012
  7. FireGuy17

FireGuy17

Lots of states don't recognize our OHIO CCW. But the PA license in widely accepted.

First, don't take your weapon with you.
    Second, it is a real easy process. Took my wife and I an hour to get ours at the courthouse in Erie. Now we have reciprocity in tons of states. Best money you can spend.

Last edited: February 5, 2013
  8. Sounds like a good plan to me I might have to schedule a road trip in the spring. :D

9. diesel

diesel

When u do, let me know as I live right on the state line. Maybe we can go together then go to my clubs range and do some shooting as well.
    You can leave your guns at my place while we head to PA. for the permits.:flag:

10. reenignEesreveR

reenignEesreveR

I'm in Toledo too... sounds like a road trip!

Never looked into the PA thing... I definitely should.

Does the OHIO CCW need to be renewed with a max # of years left?
    How long will the PA permit be good for?
    Same trip to PA for renewal, etc.?

(totally just invited self... :()

11. diesel

diesel

No problem, my brother, the more the merrier.:flag:

12. reenignEesreveR

reenignEesreveR

We would be valid permit carriers on the way home (right?)... I will check the PA flavored laws, but if we separare gun from ammo (perhaps in separate lockable containers) we should be fine in virtually every jurisdiction.

I know the rules for say a trip thru NY to Maine... unfotunately local law enforcement is often unaware of federal regulations.

Wherever you go...don't get caught without your tax stamp!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

13. reenignEesreveR

reenignEesreveR

Cool, thanks!

14. 5 yrs...$20. Same trip for renewal.

Would you believe that your OH permit will cover you carrying loaded in the car?

15. reenignEesreveR

reenignEesreveR

Thanks for info...

However, I said ammo and gun in separate lockable containers... i.e. unloaded for trip to PA & not consealed (proper transport in almost all juris).

On return trip home PA CCW permit = loaded and readily available!

Main point: I'm not leavivg my gun at the border in an unfamiliar place...

**read the history**

:)

Last edited: February 9, 2013
  16. reenignEesreveR

reenignEesreveR

I know you don't think this, but for dramtic effect...

You think a PA resident with no ccw permit is in violation transporting say his o/u to shoot skeet... if gun and ammo are properly stored, not readily available ?!?!?!

Well I am also fine to propery transport anything I have thru PA. Be it CIII, AOW, SBR... perhaps to the machine gun show in KY.

Just remember to bring your Tax Samp!

My only concern was not to bring soething belt fed since it is not a thru trip to another "freindly" juris. Not sure how the federal batf rules woud apply for a day trip into PA. What to me is a largey unknown juris.

END DRAMAITC EFFECT

Will I get banned for being a drama queen? :)

But seriously...

No asumption was made; said I would have to look into it.

I certainly never thought I could ccw w/ OH permit in PA. Unless our attorney generals worked out reciprocity while I wasn't looking...

17. diesel

diesel

Oh. and PA. do not share reciprocity. And dude, I wouldn't harm or steal your guns, i'm just trying to be friendly.:flag::flag:

18. reenignEesreveR

reenignEesreveR

I know :) the offer/gesture was appreciated. You all seem like GREAT people.

TRUELY, the substance behind your friendly gesture was understood and much appreciated.

But we just met (kinda)... I could be nancy pelosi for all you know (note prpoer nouns are capitalized) :eek:

Trust is built over time.

For example I wouldn't let a new person babysit; nor would I expect a new acquaintance to let my daughter babysit their kids (this grumpy old fart doesn't babysit anymore).

My intention was not to offend. Simply to explain that proper transport is allowed. (Maybe I shouldn't have tried to be funny as well.)

Conclusion:
    No offense implied or indented, sorry.

EDIT: OH doesn't have mandatory safe storage requirements... YET (Rep. Patmon's HB563 (Mandatory "Safe" Storage of Firearms) is based on several anti-gun myths). Don't want to fuel the gun control fire so I like to keep control of the access to/storage of my toys.

19. reenignEesreveR

reenignEesreveR

I appreciated your reply... I haven't read up on PA. No disrespect implied or intended above.

Sorry, It appears i got "too cute" with my rant/reply :)

Just not accustom to having legal speak thrown at me, I generally do the throwing!

Additional good reading material:
    http://uscode.house.gov/pdf/Organic%20Laws/const.pdf

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/constitution.pdf

Lawriter - ORC You are probably looking for Chapter 2932.

Given OH preemption case law (and the juris I live in), I generally just pass on the local ordinance stuff.

This is also a required read...
    ATF Online - Laws, Regulations & Rulings

All that is just to filling out these!
    ATF Online - Forms - Firearms

Conclusion: We have enough Gun control already.

:)

20. reenignEesreveR

reenignEesreveR

:banghead:

:timeout:

:confused:

I know...

Looks like I need a PA permit to carry thru Georgia for my trips to Flordia. So I won't have to disarm myself for proper transport through GA, or drive down with a route around GA (around = excluding).

References:
    Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/