Open carry a gun don't talk to the cops...

Discussion in 'Open Carry' started by whitewolf68, May 11, 2012.

1. [video=youtube;86XmQra5WMU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86XmQra5WMU&feature=colike[/video]

2. JustJack

JustJack

Bad link. Says "This video does not exist". Probably just moved it so the URL is different.

3. Yeah the video must have been taken down. Sorry about that.

4. stylus

stylus

SD
    [video=youtube;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

5. Can someone summarize what that 48 minute video basically says? I can pretty much guess, but before I head off on one of my rants, I'd like to know what I'm discussing. :banghead:

I tend to think a lot of what passes for "problems" when talking with the police is usually (but not always) kind of a self-inflicted wound as I've had to talk to a LOT of police/LEO's in the last several years about my open carry and it's ALWAYS turned out good as I act like a civil person and not a renegade gun fanatic.

There are ways to talk with "most" LEO's and a lot of YouTube videos are messed up right from the start.

I also don't carry an AK-47 to Burger King, but then I'm a bit more discrete than that and I really don't have any real reason to carry an AK-47 into Burger King but I do with the Glock so for the time being, the Glock will have to do. :D

AD

6. diesel

diesel

What you say, AD, is probably true, but just like the average populace is diverse, so are our LEO's.
    I don't believe for a minute that all these cases are true but, I also don't believe that all LEO's can be talked to.

In my experience, the majority of these officers have over-blown egos and other personality problems. Can we admit that it takes a special kind of individual to become a law enforcement officer?
    As of late, every day I read another story of an officer that shoots a persons pet for no reason, or extremely rough-handed tactics used in everyday simple violations, todays cops seem to have a "me against the rest of them" attitude.....very defensive.
    They seem to me, the kid who got kicked around in school, now has the power to seek revenge on the rest of society for the pains he or she was put through in their youth.
    I seriously believe that regular "Joe-bag o doughnuts" type folks do not care to be a LEO.

Just my simple take on a very complex issue.:D :flag:

7. Diesel,

Oh yes. I've seen my share of "bad" cops for sure. The worst ones are the guys who get offended because you did something on "their" street or in "their" city. Gimme a break.

The guy thought he had a real criminal and perhaps a real arrest but it turned out to be a simple guy open carrying a gun. Now his ego is deflated and he feels he needs to get something on you. Yep, been there, got the t-shirt. Just quiet up and let him rant and rave until it dawns on him that he's the only one making noise.

Luckily for me, I play the game and they let me go. I don't try to educate them unless they ask. Only one has asked so far.

The worst one so far is a local city cop who absolutely HATES the idea of a mere civilian openly carrying a sidearm.

Oh well, deal with it. It's the LAW.

AD

8. stylus

stylus

SD
    The speaker, a well spoken criminal defence attorney, illustrates the many ways your innocent statements can be used against you in unexpected ways; he then yield the rest of his time to a detective who talks about interrogation tecniqus.

It does not take a bad cop for you to land in jail over something you didn't do. A well meaning cop just trying to do his job in good faith can do just as much damage. It only requires a snippet of your words taken out of context in ways you never intended by people you didn't even know existed.

The only way to prevent your innocent and well meaning words from being misunderstood is to simply not say anything at all.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  9. stylus

stylus

SD
    One day the police will come for my private guns, and soon after I as a soldier will come for their police guns. Disarmament doesn't stop with regular people, anti-gun needs police disarmed as well. Only the political militia and the military will be armed, should they get their way.

10. Stylus,

On this we totally agree. One of the most used "techniques" in a traffic stop, or in my case, an OC stop, is to just to have the officer just stand there without saying anything. Most people will then start to blab on and on about something, just to fill the void.

Nope. Just stand there and count your teeth or something. The officer is now waiting for you to "offer up" anything he can use as he's got nothing on you at this time. This has been pretty standard with the last three stops.

Not a big deal. Just stand there and wait for them to hand your license back, usually with some kind of dire warning or some edict that you shouldn't be scaring the citizens, as they like to call them. Evidently seeing a police car in a "citizen's" mirror doesn't scare any of them, just me with a properly holstered Glock on a bike.

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver

11. stylus

stylus

SD
    I was thinking of this thread earlier and stopped by http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf. I have a family member in OH who likes to make trouble, a regular drama queen. Should she call the cops on me for OC one day I like to think I'm ready in knowledge. With that in mind. I heard somewhere that in OH you have to inform a home owner if you're CC'ing before entering their house. Do you know if this is true? I haven't been able to find a law on it either way.

12. jakeball

jakeball

No police will go after your guns. If confiscation happens itll be non Americans who carry out the act.

Shoot Strait!

13. stylus

stylus

SD
    Confiscation has been ongoing for a long time. From the GCA to modern 'assult weapon' bans. Search warrants for firearms have gone out in CT. The denial you express here was also expressed in Australia, the UK and pre-WW2 Germany. Yes, LEOs do confiscate in every single instance the State is given half a chance.

14. jakeball

jakeball

Seems we are talking about 2 different types of confiscation. Im talking about the 'big one' the one thats gonna start another revolution. History repeats itself, and its inevitable that this will happen.

Shoot Strait!

15. stylus

stylus

SD
    There is only one 'kind' of confiscation, and that's confiscation. If someone stabs you slowly is that any different than being stabbed quickly? Same damage, same peril. The speed in which it occurs being irrelevant. Guns are being confiscated gradually so as to avoid the revolution. Even Australia, the UK didn't have a 'big one'. What confiscation looks like is a gradual drying-out of various guns, starting with those which can be most easily vilified and moving inward. After 'assault weapons' bans come bans on handguns, and the Left will cry "you can still own rifles so it's not an infringement". Ever more progressive restrictions on rifles follow, until one day there's only a handful of guns you can own, and never anything which can compete with military arms.

Make no mistake, confiscation is under way as we speak, so please don't pretend it will never happen. You are kidding yourself if you believe guns will never be confiscated.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  16. Very well stated Stylus I could not have said it better. There are states that basically have outlawed .22 rifles because they have tubular magazines that hold more then 10 rounds.

17. stylus

stylus

SD
    I hear the latest anti-gun push out of California target 'sniper rifles'.

This is a snipe:

View attachment 815

A snipe has exceptional eyesight, hearing and reflexes and is very difficult to sneak up on. Even getting into shot-gun range is difficult. A hunter who is skilled enough to successfully take snipes is called a 'sniper'. Thus a 'sniper rifle' is just the kind of rifle a snipe-hunter would want, with longer range and accuracy to compensate for not being able to sneak up as close on a snipe as with other water foul.

A sniper-rifle is literally just a hunting rifle.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  18. diesel

diesel

If one goes out deep into the woods, at the proper hour (3-4 A.M.), and sits under an old hickory tree that was once struck by lightning, and holds open a burlap bag (gunny sack), several 3-4 lb. snipes will literally run each other over to get into your bag.
    Point; just seems easier than to sneak up on one.

Have you never been on a late night snipe hunt?:rofl: :flag:

19. Snipe hunting... Haven't heard that since the first time my grandpa took me to deer camp. lol