Oh/Surrounding State Laws concerning Purchase of a pistol with a TexasID+MilitaryID

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Lethedethius, November 22, 2013.

1. So When I purchased my Ruger Rifle I inquired about purchasing pistols and using the FFL and was told I cannot purchase a pistol thru her with a Texas ID, I can purchase Rifles ranging from .22's to 50Cal, Shutguns and Nuclear Warheads but NO PISTOLS!

I have a valid Military ID, I'm on a Active Duty TITLE10 Status... Is there a way around this? That is skeptical I can purchase a massive shotgun, sniper rifle, semi auto assault rifle and much much more but I can't purchase a .22 pistol! What is the reasoning behind this? It makes no sense! Please enlighten me or help me out lol

2. Dave Shooter

Dave Shooter

Re: Oh/Surrounding State Laws concerning Purchase of a pistol with a TexasID+Military

L,
    are you stationed in Ohio? If so, you should be able to purchase a pistol from a dealer in Ohio with Mil ID and orders. When I was active duty I did just that in several different states I was stationed in.

Fed law does differentiate between long guns and handguns, leading to some situations like yours.

3. Re: Oh/Surrounding State Laws concerning Purchase of a pistol with a TexasID+Military

Hi Dave, sorry for delay-Yes I'm on TITLE 10 Orders-the FFL dealer told me I was unable to. I'll call a few FFL dealers and see if one will say something different than what I've heard-I figured I should've been able to.

4. Re: Oh/Surrounding State Laws concerning Purchase of a pistol with a TexasID+Military

Well this morning I got fed up with looking at pistols and not knowing-I called the Cleveland FBI Office who directed me to the Cleveland ATF... (A dead Number), so I called the Columbus ATF and was told Orders+military ID make me an official ohio resident and that's all I need for a pistol. 1911 here I come. :p

5. Re: Oh/Surrounding State Laws concerning Purchase of a pistol with a TexasID+Military

<--Aftermath. I have settled on a Hi-Point C9 and have already purchased two Cobra .380's(currently being shipped), 1911 is in the works along with a Glock :)

6. OGCJason

OGCJason

Re: Oh/Surrounding State Laws concerning Purchase of a pistol with a TexasID+Military

The sad thing is that an FFL should know this sort of detail. It's called being a responsible dealer to know the laws regarding purchases and transfers within their realm. After all, that's WHY they are licensed as FFLs! Just the lack of awareness on the part of the FFL. kinda ticks me off...they should know this stuff!!!

7. JameSpolly

JameSpolly

This is a serious problem.

8. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

Hi Lethedethius,

Good choices. A lot of people scoff at hi-points, but I have seriously enjoyed every one I bought. I have a C9, a C45 and the 9mm carbine. I love the youtube video where they try to blow up a C9. It really takes a beating.

Of course, you can't go wrong with Glock and 1911 is a classic.

I work out of state most of the year and have trouble as well. Here in MN, anything with a pistol grip requires a state "Permit to Purchase". I think someone once told me the problem was interstate commerce laws that prevent sales of handguns across state lines. I usually end up buying a years worth of guns on every trip back.

9. MikeH121

MikeH121

I have the 9 and 45 Hi-Points. Got them both for 300 bucks. 140+160 prices. Can't beat 2 guns that shoot for that.

They are not carry guns, they are range, shoot and who cares what happens to them :D They do shoot straight. Needle nose pliers, slightly bend the tabs on the mags, polish the feed ramps, (still wonder why Hi-Point coats the ramps. Blowback pistols work and are more accurate traditionally than pistols with moving barrels.

My FEG PA-63 Hungarian Surplus 9x18 Mak Hits where you point. And MAC (Miltary Arms Channel) tried to kill the surplus Makarov, could not do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAEbbhRJNYw