NRA Instructor....

Discussion in 'Tactics & Training' started by rjrivero, September 24, 2012.

1. rjrivero

rjrivero

Anyone know how long it takes for your credentials to come in once you've completed an NRA Instructors course?

I took this weekend and completed the NRA Basic Pistol Instructors Course and the NRA Personal Protection in the Home Instructors Course. Just wondering how long before I can add the badge to my profile legitimately.
    :D

2. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

I want to say it took me almost six weeks. Just got my card a few weeks ago.

Congratulations and welcome. WhiteWolf has an icon you can add...

3. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

Congrats

What process, classes, did you have to take to become an instructor?

4. rjrivero

rjrivero

Thank you. All you need to do is find an NRA Instructor Councelor who is certified to teach the instructor course for what you want to learn. Pay the fee, and go to the class. The hardest thing to do is to get your schedule cleared for the class!

I did mine in Sandusky with Emery Kimberlin. Nice guy. Smoker friendly course (if that's your thing.) If not, then prepare for a smoker friendly course.

Last edited: September 26, 2012
  5. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

You can find NRA courses (either shooting OR instructor courses) here.

6. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

I keep looking but nothing in my area. Most things are at least 2 to 4 hours away. I don't shoot well enough to be an instructor yet anyway. I would think You have to hit everything all the time within a 3 or 4 inch circle and I can't do that every single time yet.

7. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

Oh no... Nothing that stringent! Find a class you're interested in, then pick any of the sessions (doesn't matter where), then click the "click for details" link and you'll see all the requirements to be an instructor. It's really pretty easy as long as you understand basic gun safety. Most of the testing was about loading, unloading and clearing malfunctions. The shooting portion required you to get 20 shots in a 9" circle at 15 yards.

8. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

Well heck I am ok on the shooting on my worst day, don't I wish, lol. There are some classes I would like to take I just have to wait until the have them again in my area.

Last edited: November 8, 2012
  9. rjrivero

rjrivero

As soon as my certifications arrive, I'll load up that icon. Gotta stay legit, you know?

10. If all your waiting on is the certificate I have no issue with you displaying the badge. I trust you RJ. ;)

11. rjrivero

rjrivero

Another step closer. The NRA page is updated to the week prior to my class. So I should have my credentials this week, or next week. I do have access to the NRA Instructor Website. So I'm *almost* legit! LOL.

12. rjrivero

rjrivero

Finally got my Certificate in the mail today with the "instructors card." Going to copy the card and cert and bring them to the Sheriff's Office Tomorrow.

13. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

Congrats glad you finally got your card.

14. Congrats RJ! That is great news!

15. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

Congratulations! Are you planning on going for other certs? Planning to actively teach?

16. rjrivero

rjrivero

Thank you.

I'll probably get a cert for PPOH, and then the new NRA Certified Advanced Pistol Instructor. The NRA is finally moving their Defensive Pistol Program forward. I would like to continue to support that effort.

My daughter is involved in an NRA Jr. Rifle Program. If she continues at this pace, I may end up taking the NRA Certified Coaching program as well, but that is going to be VERY dependant on her interest.

I will be teaching at ADCO when they need it. I don't know if I will teach on my own or not.