Now for a post that belongs here

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Noel, July 13, 2012.

1. Noel

Noel

I'm looking into getting into reloading, because I have a gun that no one stocks the caliber for locally. I want to resize and cut down 9x19 brass into 9x18 brass and need to know what I need to get going here. This is all I'm going to be using it for, I'm not reloading my 9x19's or any other caliber.

2. If time is not of the essence you can always use what I do for a lot of the reloading work. A good old RCBS Rock Chucker. Of course you will need a brass trimmer and caliper to check the length of your cases. A good place to find the equipment if you do not want to spend the money on new is eBay. Those that I listed are the BARE essentials though. I hope that others will chime in here as well because I know I am not the only reloader on here.

Sorry this is so short but I am getting very tired and it's early in the morning.

3. Noel

Noel

Proble is, I don't have the ability to mount the thing anywhere, I live in an apartment. Was looking at a Lee hand press.

4. rjrivero

rjrivero

How many rounds a year do you shoot? It may be more beneficial to buy a couple cases mail order and save the brass until you're able to start loading. I find that reloading small scale really isn't worth the set-up time (imvho) unless it's ammo for hunting/high power competition. When I sit down and load during the winter, it's a thousand rounds at a time for my pistol blasting ammo and .223 for multi-gun. Volume is where you make up your money with rolling your own. If you're shooting 1,000 rounds a year, just buy it. Again, just my opinion.

I know a lot of folks will say that reloading is a rewarding hobby in and of itself. I haven't found this to be true. I find it a necessary evil to shoot the volume I enjoy.

5. Noel

Noel

What makes small-time reloading worth it for me is that I need 9x18 Makarov. No one sells it locally, I HAVE to order it online. However I also shoot 9x19, and casings for that are all over the floor of the range. Those can be expanded, cut down a milimeter and fitted for 9x18, which is a lot cheaper.

At 20 - 25 bucks for a box of 50 (the cost of the ammo plus the shipping) it will quickly make up the cost of the reloading equipment.

Last edited: July 22, 2012
  6. rjrivero

rjrivero

Fair enough. I have a Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles. BUT, I do have a Lee hand press for doing some low volume work as well (Mostly for sizing cast boolits).

You'll need a simple beam scale, case trimmer, and brass cleaning system , priming tool, and press and dies. I recommend carbide pistol dies, since you don't need to mess with lubing when doing strait walled pistol calibers.

I highly recommend a pair of calipers and a Wilson Case Guage for your 9x18 Mak.

You'll probably want case blocks as well to keep the brass organized as you go thorough your different steps. With a single stage press, you'll have to load in batches. First, sizing and depriming the brass. Trimming it to length, flaring the case mouth, priming the brass, charging the case, seat the bullet, remove the belling with a slight taper crimp. Each step will require a trip through the press. So with a single stage, it's a slow go. If you're going to do it with a hand held press, you'll have popeye's forearms before long!!

The ABC's of Reloading is a must have for new re-loaders along with at LEAST one loading manual.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

RJ

7. Chet1958

Chet1958

Personally I am a fan of Dillon presses. Ebay is a good source for used presses. If you are only going to try reloading 9x18 get a square deal B. I assume they make one in this caliber

I have never tried to make a 9x18 case from a 9x19 case so I am not familiar with the case dimension. I would start with the SAMMI website to see if the 19 and 18 have the same case profile and not just a matter of length. It may be more involved than just cutting the case.

8. Noel

Noel

They are not. You have to expand the 9x19, even though it is straight-cased, it is still tapered. 9x18 is a .365 bullet, the 9x19 is a .355 I believe.

9. rjrivero

rjrivero

It'll make precious little difference. Use the 9x18 die to size then trim. Then bell. The bullet will seat and you might stretch the case and end up with a little less case life (in theory), but it'll trim and load fine.

Regards,

RJ

10. Noel

Noel

Oh yeah, I've been reading a lot about it. The Luger cases have thicker case walls so they can withstand the Luger's high pressure loads. So stretching them and putting a lower pressure Makarov load in shouldn't be an issue.

I just don't want to buy the wrong things or things I don't need, as I don't have a ton of money to begin with (who does these days).