• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Newark Ohio Gun Range ???

I was at the Fin Feathers and Fur store in Ashland Ohio today. As usual while roaming the store I struck up a conversation with another customer that eventually ended up about range talk. He had mentioned that he thought there was a 600 yard shooting range around Newark Ohio. Of course he had no other information about it. Has anyone else heard of this range ?

Jim

Thanks 10mm. I still have that urge to stretch the legs on my .308 and .243 Remington's. So when I hear about 600 to 1,000 yard ranges around here it peaks my interest.

Jim

for the 308 and 243,factory,reloads,or handloads ?
What are your setups,which models 700s',mods-floated barrels,optics,aftermarket trigger ?
My past 700s'-700ADL 6mm Rem,700BDL 17Rem,700ADL 30-06. Current-700SPS 223.

308web.jpg

Remington 700 VS .308 heavy barrel with a Springfield 4x14 power scope on it. It is all stock.

2432web.jpg

Remington 700 SPS .243 heavy barrel with a HS Precision stock and Millet 4x16 scope.

remington700.jpg

Remington 700 BDL 30-06 with a Leupold 3.5x10 scope

rockriverweb.jpg

Rock River Varmint A4 .223, 18" stainless bull barrel with a 4x12 Nikon scope

I reload for all my center fire guns. Not a lot of upgrades on my rifles. I need to stop buying guns so I have the money to put triggers and nicer scopes on them.

Jim

My 700ADL 6mm Rem was my learning experience. Floated the barrel and glass-bedded the action. Burnt the throat out using powders with too slow of a burn rate. Too much IMR 4350 & 4831. Re-barreled it myself with a Douglas barrel and shot that one out too.
My 700BDL 17Rem(17 based on the 223 case) was great,had it for 35 years before selling it. Floated the barrel,glass-bedded the action,6-24 scope(needed power to see those tiny bullet holes). Sold it because I was tired of having to clean the barrel after about a dozen shots. Bullets would start 'keyholeing'.
My 700ADL 30-06 was good. Floated the barrel and glass-bedded the action. Was able to develop handloads that the 147gr Mil BT and Sierra 110gr HP(chronographed at 3800fps) had same point of impact.
Currently only have the 700SPS in 223. Still have yet to fire it. Because of the massive recall on the 700s' triggers,I'll fire it and then replace the trigger with a Timney.

View attachment 1139

Remington 700 VS .308 heavy barrel with a Springfield 4x14 power scope on it. It is all stock.

View attachment 1140

Remington 700 SPS .243 heavy barrel with a HS Precision stock and Millet 4x16 scope.

View attachment 1142

Remington 700 BDL 30-06 with a Leupold 3.5x10 scope

View attachment 1141

Rock River Varmint A4 .223, 18" stainless bull barrel with a 4x12 Nikon scope

I reload for all my center fire guns. Not a lot of upgrades on my rifles. I need to stop buying guns so I have the money to put triggers and nicer scopes on them.

Jim
Are those beauties pictured all southpaw actions or am I hallucinating? I'm a southie.

dogrtst

Yes Dogrtst, all but the AR are lefties. I thought about buying a left handed AR but decided against it. I have no problems shooting right handed auto's. The .308 I bought new several years ago. The .243 I also bought new but changed out the stock for the HS Precision stock. The 30-06 I picked up at a pawn shop a few years back. I know some people can shoot the right handed guns left handed bolt guns, but I could never get use to it myself.

Jim

Last edited:
Currently only have the 700SPS in 223. Still have yet to fire it. Because of the massive recall on the 700s' triggers,I'll fire it and then replace the trigger with a Timney.
I thought about picking up a Remington SPS in .223 but decided against it. I already have a Thompson Center Contender with a Bullberry match grade barrel on it. Along with the AR I just didn't need another .223.

Jim

Seeing that you're just east of Columbus,how are the C&E gun shows at the Westland Mall. I met a fellow 'OhioGunOwner' member last spring for the 'gun show' at the fairgrounds,IT SUCKED. He said he went to the Westland mall show and it was OK.

It has been several years since I went to the gun show at the westland mall. At the time I was not impressed with it. It seemed that there were more yard sale type items on the tables then actual guns. Hopefully that has changed over the years. The gun shows that I usually go to are Ohio Gun Collectors Association (OGCA) and the Medina gun show. The Medina show is this coming weekend. The one most people aren't aware of is the Johnstown Swappers Meet. It is always on Labor Day weekend and has a wide variety of guns and related hunting items.

swappersmeet.jpg

Here is an over head view of the Swappers Meet area.

Jim

Last edited:
I heard that about it,but everyone that goes to it now says it has changed drastically for the better.
Are you a OGCA member ?
I was planning on Medina. Let me know which day and I'll meet you there.

You get to stop in at FFF Ashland in your route,I get to stop in at FFF Middleburg Heights in my route.

Last edited:
I haven't been to that one for a while. I hope they have changed. It's always good to have a good show close by.

Yes, I am a OGCA member and have been for several years. Back when I had my FFL and the show was located in Columbus. I had tables at that show and also the Medina show. That was a long time ago though.

I won't be able to make the Medina show this weekend. My wife is on crutches at the moment with a fractured knee. So that puts me on house duty for a while. Once she is feeling better I would be happy to meet up with you at one of the shows.

Jim

Seeing that you're just east of Columbus,how are the C&E gun shows at the Westland Mall. I met a fellow 'OhioGunOwner' member last spring for the 'gun show' at the fairgrounds,IT SUCKED. He said he went to the Westland mall show and it was OK.
Westland is better than Franklin County show but it's still $9 to get in and that SUCKS!

dogrtst

Yes Dogrtst, all but the AR are lefties. I thought about buying a left handed AR but decided against it. I have no problems shooting right handed auto's. The .308 I bought new several years ago. The .243 I also bought new but changed out the stock for the HS Precision stock. The 30-06 I picked up at a pawn shop a few years back. I know some people can shoot the right handed guns left handed bolt guns, but I could never get use to it myself.

Jim
I got rid of my Colt's AR years ago because of eating too much brass and burned powder. Didn't care for it. I picked up a Stag AR piston in left-hand and like it a lot. It's fun to watch everybody react to them getting hit with my brass but recently I got a Caldwell mesh brass catcher and it works well.

Just bought a Savage Model 14/114 Classic (Walnut stock) in .243 WIN. Will be picking it up next week and it's a lefty! The only left handed centerfire rifle the new Vance's in Obetz had in store.

dogrtst

I got rid of my Colt's AR years ago because of eating too much brass and burned powder. Didn't care for it. I picked up a Stag AR piston in left-hand and like it a lot. It's fun to watch everybody react to them getting hit with my brass but recently I got a Caldwell mesh brass catcher and it works well.

Just bought a Savage Model 14/114 Classic (Walnut stock) in .243 WIN. Will be picking it up next week and it's a lefty! The only left handed centerfire rifle the new Vance's in Obetz had in store.

dogrtst
Hey watch what you say about old Colt AR-15's! Check out this lefty here below:

IMG_33.jpg

Doug, where you been? I heard that the ODNR is going to start rebuilding the Delaware shooting range. i heard it has been closed down and will take better than a year to get the job done. Fake news or fact?

Let me know what you know.

dogrtst.