new toys

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by diesel, July 14, 2012.

1. diesel

diesel

new toys (better pics)

View attachment 195 View attachment 194 My latest additions. Check out the smith 586. Bought it at a garage sale for a song and a dance. The gun is in remarkable condition for it's age 86-91.

Last edited: July 17, 2012
  2. How come I never find any "good" stuff like that anywhere???

When the wife drags me to any kind of garage sale, we always wind up with crap, not guns!!

AD

3. cableguy

cableguy

Tell me about it!!! You're preaching to the choir.

4. cableguy

cableguy

Those are pretty sweet. that 1860 colt: is it cap/ball or cartridge conversion?

5. diesel

diesel

cap and ball. Always wanted one as i am a civil war fanatic. It's suprizingly acurate and a blast to shoot!

6. diesel

diesel

When ever i go to a garage sale, i politely look at their goods, strike up a converstion for 5 min. or so then simply ask the folks "do you have any gold or silver coins to sell? do you have any firearms or ammo for sale?" Most folks won't list or show coins and firearms as they are affraid of being robbed. My little method works well if one were to consider i average about 15-20 sales before i stike gold, silver or guns. Now that i'm off work, i check Thurs. and Fri. papers, get the addresses, punch them into my GPS and go. Try it, you might be suprized.

7. cableguy

cableguy

Ya I enjoy civil war stuff too. I don't think I have the patience for cap and ball. But a cartridge conversion replica would be really cool to have....Maybe something in 45 Colt or 44-40. I never thought of that before in regard to garage sales. I think I will do that. If I do I'll post what I find.

8. diesel

diesel

Gotta have patience, C.G. as 95% of them have no guns. Just keep asking. Sooner or later you will hit the jackpot!
    Good luck brother, on the sales.
    I just found out these pistols can be converted. Maybe i'll convert it when i get tired of the smoke and the smell....LOL

9. cableguy

cableguy

Smell? you're talking about the gun right.:lol:

10. Re: new toys (better pics)

Very nice additions to your collection Diesel. You have the best luck of anyone I know. :cool:

11. diesel

diesel

Na, the old lady likes to shoot it too!!!!!

12. diesel

diesel

Re: new toys (better pics)

Except for that M-1 carbine, Wolf, i pretty much make my own luck.

13. diesel

diesel

Thankx a grand Wolf

View attachment 199 Wolf, i thought you put the kiss of death on me the other day when you said.."I am the luckiest guy you know." Turns out it was the kiss of cash!!!
    Bought an old ruger single action .44 mag. at a garage sale this morning. I looked it up in my "Blue book of Gun Values" turns out it's an old Blackhawk Flattop with a value of $725-$850. Great...right. It gets better. As i look down the page, it says to add $650 the the price if it has stag grips. You guessed it....it's got stag grips!!!!!

I copied the page from the blue book to show you i'm not bullshit'n you. Pics are coming soon as i shoot it and clean it up cause i just got home an hour ago. Oh...by the way... i paid $275 for it. View attachment 196

Well, it turns out i was wrong. The grips on this gun are NOT factory. They are after-markets. Still i feel it was a good deal as i'll sell it at the next show for around $550 doubling my money and not ripping off the buyer. View attachment 197

Last edited: July 23, 2012
  14. Re: Thankx a grand Wolf

Does your good fortune and luck ever end Diesel? LOL

Even without the stag grips you still got a hell of a deal on it and it is a nice piece.

I guess this was a classic case of seller beware. :D

15. diesel

diesel

Re: Thankx a grand Wolf

LOL!!! He wanted $350, so we dickered back and forth, and i got it cheap. He must have needed the cash Wolf.

16. Re: Thankx a grand Wolf

Your a class A buyer my friend. I only hope that some day I will develop the same skills. :thumbs:

17. diesel

diesel

;) thank you my friend!

18. cableguy

cableguy

Why not keep it?

19. diesel

diesel

I think i will, Cable.

20. cableguy

cableguy

That's a cool gun. I had a customer yesterday show me his stainless blackhawk. It was exactly what I want: It had a 4.75 barrel in .357mag. I almost made an offer, but he seemed to not be in the selling mood.