• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

New Blog Post Pending - Need Help

So, I've got a new blog post almost ready to publish, but would like some feedback on the content thus far. Also, note that I have a laundry list of 9 items at the end - would like a 10th just to round things out, so feel free to suggest something there as well! :)

How Safe is Too Safe?

We should all know the basic rules of firearms and gun safety. If there’s a CHP/CCW class that doesn’t cover the 4 NRA Rules of Safety then you’re training was woefully inadequate. One of the “additional†rules though, often merits discussion, especially in the context of concealed carry and self defense, and that is the following:

“Store your firearms such that they are inaccessible to unauthorized personsâ€

This basic tenet, along with the one of storing your arms and ammo separate from each other I often see students just nod along, but if you are paying attention, your ears should perk up, because storing firearms not only prevents unauthorized people from getting at them – it’s also a barricade for you! Yes, you have the biometrics, or know the combo, or have the key, but…

What about that worst case scenario where someone intrudes into your home and you have to react and defend yourself and your property. Do you think a criminal will buy the line of:

“Halt, stop or I’ll go to my safe, find a firearm, load it, and get it out and point it at you!â€

Not likely. Often, seconds are what makes the difference between tragedy and a smart person defending themselves. That means having your firearm quickly accessible in an instant. This flies in the face against the idea of storing your arms securely and away from unauthorized persons. Because if you don’t lock it up, then someone else can get it. If you don’t like the idea of putting a time gap into the equation in a self-defense scenario, then your quandary is quite real.

So, what is the answer? Truthfully, there is no right answer for everyone, and even local statutes may vary about storing guns inside your home. Generally, you are free to store them as you desire, but what if there are kids, service personnel or other people that frequent your home regularly – do you want to have a gun out on your bedside table? Probably not – so there must be a distinction between storing and being “at the readyâ€.

My rule is that if I am present, a firearm can remain in the open. I’ll have one on the main floor, one on the second floor, and another usually in my holster. What if I am upstairs, my wife is downstairs and some intruder comes in while I am in my “thinking room� Is my wife able to defend herself? Just like having an escape route planned in case of fire, you should also have your family be familiar with where you store your firearms, their ready status, and make sure that each firearm that is accessible only be known to your family. (You certainly don’t want the landscaper to know where things are like that…) But what about trusted providers like baby-sitters, pet sitters, house sitters and that ilk? It really is a judgement call, but here are a set of criteria I have to help ensure that I am both safe and ready!

• Store guns that are not part of your home defense setup
  • Continue to store firearms separately from munitions
  • For guns “at the ready†ensure that family members know where they are if they need them
  • Periodically re-visit training with each firearm you maintain with family members. Your own training will likely exceed that of family, but they need to be aware too and without residual training from time to time, people tend to forget stuff like that – especially in a stressful scenario.
  • If you leave your home, make sure you transfer guns from a ready status to a stored status
  • For firearms in a safe or under lock and key – ensure only the people that “need to know†either know where the safe is located and have access to open it.
  • Provide instructions for service folks on what to do if they encounter or see a firearm in the course of their services.
  • Consider a video security system. These can be set up for as little as $500 to both purchase the equipment and install. Many have wireless options so you can monitor across your entire home network.
  • Resist falling into patterns of usage. Don’t always keep pistol A in place A and pistol B in place B. Change them up, and even give a quiz to your significant other to see if they are ding their own awareness checks – “Hey sweetie, what’s currently in spot A?â€

Last edited:

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
My tenth for you, Jason, would be for your significant other; "remember, do not draw down on someone unless you intend to shoot them.":no: :flag: