Need some help.

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by reaper66, January 12, 2014.

1. reaper66

reaper66

As I stated in my intro thread I'm familiar with several different rifle platforms.
    So I got to thinking, I know nothing about the AR/M4 rifle. Maybe I need one?

What are the pros? What are the cons?
    Buy one?
    Build one?
    Brands good or bad?

Like I said, need some help.

Thanks,
    John

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Tapatalk

2. MikeH121

MikeH121

Pros... build yourself, can go with 5.56/.223 then add a 300 AAC blackout with only a barrel change, can go with any new caliber coming along, 50 Beowulf, up to a 50 BMG single shot upper.

Versitile, build it and it can be cheaper, or with the scare kinda dying down there are people who don't wanna really have their "black rifle" they don't use it/shoot it.

Cons....not too many, with the New Winchester PDX1 .223 frag rds they are great home defense guns.

AR15 AR-15 ammo test: Winchester PDX1 .223 Defender in ballistic gelatin - YouTube

3. Firefighter1069

Firefighter1069

I'm in kinda the same situation as you. I've been bouncing around to either build or buy my first AR. Now I am pretty familiar with the gun because I carry one at work, but my thoughts are to buy my own that I can have at home and learn the ins and outs of a fully functioning piece, learn what I like and don't like, then start building my own. Just how I'm approaching the situation, I just have to figure out what brand I'm going to buy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. based on your post,you want to buy a ready to shoot AR,shoot it,dis-assemble,re-assemble,to find out what you like/don't like and then build one.

5. Firefighter1069

Firefighter1069

No the disassemble is just to learn the inner workings of the gun, that way when I go to build one if I run into any problems I'll have an idea of what I may have done wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. MikeH121

MikeH121

It the prettier/deadlier Mr Patato Head for Men. Add the nose you want. :rofl:

Buy a stripped lower. Then a lower kit. Seen a stripped lower today at Point Blank for 89 bucks. About 80 for the lower kit. Which has all the parts to make it go bang. Then decide what barrel for 150 a BCG for around 200 stock end for under 200. you have your own for under 1000.00 But you built it yourself.

You can ask, find it on YouTube, or so many AR mags to build one. Brownells has some good vids for the novice. Step by step.

Tonight I just added a Blackhawk Open trigger guard I got at Point Blank for 11 bucks. Alum better than the poly MagPul and you can wear thinck winter gloves and still pull the trigger. Just finished before I typed this, 20 minutes total time.

But you buy the parts as you go. Build at your speed. See what the parts are and how they fit together.

7. rjrivero

rjrivero

There is nothing wrong with buying an AR off the shelf and modifying it as you go along. Chances are that you're not going to know what works for you until you put it through it's paces and find out what you can and more importantly what you can't do with it as configured.

The best thing to do is buy an AR and go to a carbine class. Get some rounds down range, move, shoot, and see what works and what doesn't.

You can set up your AR for just about anything. But remember everything has an opportunity cost. Building a "tac rifle" for close in room clearing is different than building a DMS or SPR type rifle. It's also different than building a precision rifle. (Which the AR is also capable of doing.)

So decide what you want to do with the rifle, and then build to that end. You'll find what most find, you end up with more than one!

If you have specific questions, please let us know. I prefer a good tac rifle, since that kind of shooting fits my personality. Run and gun is my kind of game!

8. I also fall into the block of "American Male, Non-AR owner".

I believe that puts me in a minority subset of gun owners!!

I enjoy reading these AR threads as I continue to learn about the rifle we all want, but most do not really "need".

I'll be one of those guys who probably just buys it off the shelf for some obscure reason rather than have a specific plan of what to purchase. Heck, I was perfectly happy with the AR's we had in Viet-Nam!

Money is not the object. The "need" is what's holding me back and as I don't do much rifle shooting these days (even the lever action Winchester gets shot maybe twice a year) I probably don't need to add another rifle to the back room.

I would really not like buying the new gun and then just have it sit there, looking good. So, for the time being I'll be "AR-less" (is that a word?) and sit on the sidelines waiting for the AR of my future to just kind of show up on the gunshop's wall at which time it will probably just jump off the wall and fall into my hands.

Everybody should have these problems, eh?

AD (An American Tragedy - US Male, non-AR) It's kind of sad.

9. There's no reason for you to buy one at all. If you have all the guns that suit/fulfill your needs, no sense on spending money for an AR. If it's just because you feel your right to own one might be infringed upon, then buy one and say 'hey Obama, look what I got'.

I had 4 ARs',currently down to 3 of those 4. I got into the AR15 223/5.56 to replace my Remington 700 17Rem bolt action rifle and a Ruger Mini-14. The 17Rem was a great shooter but difficult to keep the barrel clean to keep it shooting great and I loved the Mini-14,but it was a very early model and terrible for accuracy. The ARs' were a venture to replace those two. My first was a DPMS 'sweet sixteen',a 223/5.56 16" bull barrel,very forward heavy and akward to handle because of the heavy barrel. 2nd was a DPMS 'Oracle' 223/5.56 standard variant. Sold the 'sweet sixteen' to a Columbus area shooter. 3rd was a DPMS 'Sportical' 308/7.62 to replace a Remington 700 30-06 bolt action rifle. I've always liked/wanted a Remington 308 semi-auto,so the DPMS 308/7.62 filled that bill. 4th was a Rock River Arms LAR-9 9mm,don't ask me why I bought it,maybe because I thought it was 'interesting'.
    I've gotten 2 'companions' for the ARs'. A Savage Model 10 223 22" bolt action and a Savage Model 11 308 22" bolt action.

Last edited: January 16, 2014
  10. diesel

diesel

I just got rid of my old AR. You would have loved it AD, it was an Olympic .223/5.56 dress up in "60's" style Colt. It was identical to what you carried, i'd bet.
    Got $1500.00 for the rifle and a 1,000 rds. of steel cased ammo.
    I thought i'd miss the quintessential battle rifle, but my Springfield M1A more than fills it's place in my heart.
    Alas, every red-blooded American male should own one or another good battle rifle! :flag:

Attached Files:

11. That M1A in the pic is exactly the one I look at, at gun shows. Standard variant,22",synthetic stock. 1300 was the going price back in 2012 at one dealer, show after show. The M14,SA M1A,and Ruger Mini-14 are the proven reliable actions. Mini-14 is just a miniaturized version of the big ones.

12. MikeH121

MikeH121

None more Battle rifle than the Mosie around 44 million can't hurt it, no plastic and when empty can use as a club,

a spear with the bayonet, an oar to paddle with, a hammer for your tent pegs, a tent pole.....etc...

:rofl:

P5120090.JPG

Last edited: January 16, 2014
  13. rjrivero

rjrivero

We've sufficiently derailed your original post. The Pro's in my opinion are that the design is inherently accurate. The direct gas impingement design is one of the most accurate designs out there. The cons are that there are a lot of lower grade AR's out there as well making it hard to tell the wheat from the chaff.

If you were to buy one off the shelf, you would be hard pressed to get one better than the Colt LE6920. Out of the box it's a shooter ready for duty. You can add rails/lights/sights/etc. as you wish (as I suggest above) but the Colt is the standard by which all others are measured.

You can get yourself a nice "top of the shelf" Daniel Defense, Noveske, BCM, etc. but there is nothing wrong with getting a Colt and doing some custom work to it as you see fit.

Avoid: Black Rain Ordnance, Model 1 Sales. There are others that if I name would create debate, but these two I would avoid at all costs. (personally)

In the end, the heart of the rifle is the barrel and the trigger. With a good quality barrel and a good quality trigger, you can develop your skill and have years of enjoyment with an AR.

I would suggest that your first ar be in the 5.56/.223 caliber. The ammo being so popular means more shooting for lower cost. You can learn all you care to learn with 5.56 and you can load up with 77gr OTM to stretch out to 500+ yards!

I just thought I would help you get back on track here to your original question.

14. MikeH121

MikeH121

RJ I went with Piston from Osprey Defense. No springs no adjusting needed. Fires cheap .223 steel case crap and 5.56. Also have a .223 Wydle match grade barrel, 16" SS, Almost 1 inch with a mid-gas port. Fires 5.56 but allows more accuracy with .223, it is heavier but I likes it.

Colt is a lot for the money. Armalite started it. They aren't what they were. There are so many choices, Mil-Spec does not mean perfect. It is just that Mil-Spec is built to specs to be interchangable. Like any 1911 Gov or M1.

Stay away from Bushmaster they are not what they used to be. If I had to choose for the money I would go with Windham or Knights. Over Colt.

15. reaper66

reaper66

Wow, thanks for all the replies.
    I decided to just buy one. I came home with a Daniel Defense V7LW.
    Very nice rifle. Going to the range tomorrow.
    I'm thinking all I need for this will be a decent optic and light.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Tapatalk

16. need pictures !!!

17. reaper66

reaper66

If I can figure out how to do it with tapatalk I'll put some up when I get home tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

18. MikeH121

MikeH121

19. Very nice looking sights I just might have to order a set myself. Thanks for the link Mike. ;)

20. rjrivero

rjrivero

Congrats. The V7LW is a nice rifle. You'll like it. What optics are you considering? The rage seems to be the Aimpoint Micro these days.