My M1A Build Is Finished

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by Orlando, April 28, 2013.

1. Orlando

Orlando

Been collecting parts for awhile and finally got everything I needed to complete my build. Winchester barrel, SA Bolt, balance of other parts are TRW. Finish on some parts was alittle worn and didnt match other parts so sent them off the Shuffs Parkerizing for a refinish.
    Never assembled a M1A before and wasnt sure what to expect but all went real well on a Fulton Armory receiver. The Op Rod guide was a loose fit so I knurled the barrel,also lapped the bolt for headspace, trigger job will be next
    Only run 30 or so rds through her so far but functions perfectly
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. what the build cost so far ?
    I always look at the SA M1As' at gunshow. Before the 'frenzy',the ones I was interested in (22" basic with black synthetic stock) were priced 300-400 below msrp. Always tempted but never gave in.

3. Orlando

Orlando

I'm sure I could have bought one cheaper than what I have in this one but mine is all USGI parts other than the receiver. SAI M1A's now have alot of commercial parts which IMO are not as good quality. Good thing though SAI will stand behind anything that fails even if you are not the first owner. Bad thing you have to send in the whole rifle for warrent work, they wont just exchange bad part
    I could have bought a cheaper stock and saved $100. In have just over $1700 in it
    Used M1A's with all USGI parts are selling in this price range
    Just like Garands you can buy one cheaper than build one

4. diesel

diesel

I bought a new Springfield M1A last fall. Out the door it was just over $1400. I must say, that is the most beautiful M1A i ever seen, worth the extra $300.:flag:

DSCN0120.JPG DSCN0122.JPG

Last edited: April 30, 2013