Medina gun show Nov.14 & 15

Discussion in 'Special Events / Gun Show Info' started by oldman10mm, November 12, 2015.

1. Went to the Medina show today,got there about 11am,parking lot was fuller than of the days of the 'frenzy'. Didn't find a S&W for my 40S&W to 10mm conversion project. Picked up a HKS magazine speed loader for 40S&W/10mm. Picked up a box of Remington 44Mag for comparison control load for my 44Mag reloading.

2. went back to the show today. picked up some 41 Mag brass from Kendall Ordnance. stopped at FFF on the way home,picked up some Winchester 41 Mag ammo for comparison for when I start loading for 41 Mag. nobody at the show had OEM 41 Mag ammo.

3. Not to sound too "out of the loop" but what does 41 Mag fit into?

Handgun or rifle?

AD

4. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Fits in my Ruger .41 mag Smith & Wesson also sold double action revolvers. Winchester, Marlin and others made rifles as well.:flag:

5. yep,as above. 'Glockers' are generally 'out of the loop' LOL.

[​IMG]

what one of the real guns for 41 Magnum looks like. S&W M57.

[​IMG]

for reference for 'bottom feeders',the 40S&W and 10mm are .400" bullet diameter to approximate the caliber of 41 Magnum

[​IMG]

diesel likes this.
  6. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Nothing wrong with Tactical Tupperware but hell you just got to love heavy metal. Sorry Andy its a revolver thing.:rofl:

7. It's just that I didn't realize the world needed something between the .357 Mag and the .44 Mag.

Was there a crying need at the time or is there another story to it?

Does it fill a particular niche or is it just something nice to have on the shelf?

AD

8. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Bill Jorden and Elmer Keith in 1964 for hunting and for police service revolvers. 210 grain bullet running 1300 -1400 fps. Remington had a hand in this as well the police ammo muzzle velocity was 900 fps with a lead SWC. Remember there were no HP bullets for the .357 in the early 60's. And the .44s were to big and bulky to carry and recoil was a bit much for most police officers.

9. The 357 was introduced with the M27 in 1934,the 44 was introduced with the M29 in 1955,the 41 was introduced in 1964 with the M58 in the following old ad.

[​IMG]

The M58 was eventually followed by the M57. All 4(27,29,58,57) are the large N frame. The 41 Magnum never gained the popularity that S&W was hoping for and then Dirty Harry/44 magnum dropped its' desirability even more. Recently,probably the last 25 years,the 41 magnum has had a tremendous resurgence of desirability. And because of S&Ws' low quality lately,the old ones are at a premium. The M57 pic of my used 41M I put in the above post is of 1980 vintage,I picked it up for $700 this past summer at the Berea show. The seller was complaining that nobody is even looking at it. I couldn't get my money out fast enough. Same ones are selling on the auction sites for double that and UNIB are in the $3000 range.
    Just as the 41 Magnum is coming back,so is the 10mm.
    Back in October at the Berea show,I picked up aftermarket N-frame wood grips for $20. After that transaction I was looking at the guns under glass in his case and asked him 'what is that' as it barrel cartridge ID was facing down. It looked like a S&W SS full lug 6 1/2" unfluted cylinder 44 Mag. He turned it over and it was my 'holy grail' 10mm revolver. It was the first one I ever seen in person. He had a tag of $2100 on it. I didn't want to put it in hand,I was just glad to see it. This was on Saturday. I went back on Sunday for other stuff and talked to him again. He said someone offered him $1500 and he told the 'offerer' he'd have to do better than that. This past Saturday at the Medina show he said he was gonna accept the $1500 offer and that person was supposed to show up at the Medina show sometime. I went back on Sunday with Andy(he's one of the youngsters in town for auto mechanics school working at Tuffy with me). He's interested in guns but he's from the restrictive state of New York and never been to a Ohio gun show. I was there with $600 looking for a project gun to convert from 40S&W to 10mm. He still had the 10mm revolver and I told him if I knew that $1500 was acceptable,I would have pulled the $1500 out Friday. He said put a $100 down and pay the rest at this weekends upcoming Berea show. I did and I'll have my grail gun. I'll post a pic when I get it.

10. You guys are giving me a fine education on the 41Mag for sure!

Thanks.

AD

11. diesel

diesel

Ruger old model .41 mag was the first revolver I ever shot, clean back in early 70's. A friend of mine hi-jacked his dads Ruger set with .357, .41, and .44 all identical. We took them to the local limestone quarry (which is about 5-600 yards behind my house) and fired all 3. Somehow, I fired the .41 first. :flag:

My friends dad was a dealer and class 3 collector who unfortunately crashed his plane at O'hara Airport in Chi-town going to a gun show. He had nearly 50 pistols with him at the time of the crash.
    That great friend of mine is now deceased, also.:(

12. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    On the .41 mag mine left the factory in 2008 and has a 12 rounds fired thru it. Today I found some Remington 210 grain soft points so one day I may fire and reload for this caliber.;)

13. picked up my 'holy grail' gun as I discussed in post #10.

[​IMG]

14. diesel

diesel

Very nice, congrats.:flag:

15. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo