M-1 carbine

Discussion in 'Curios & Relics Corner' started by diesel, May 28, 2012.

1. diesel

diesel

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. WOW!!

What an excellent surprise!!

AD

3. What a rare and VERY nice find Diesel. I assume your keeping that beauty as a memento.

4. diesel

diesel

Absolutely. It is in grade a shape and i've not fired it. It is and will remain what you fellas refer to as a "Safe Queen." He also had a perfect Ithica .45, 1911 that his granddaughter wanted as a keepsake. (I kind of wish she would have chosen something else.)LOL It's still in the military holster and gun belt which is in fairly good shape as well, it's missing the holster snap but the belt and clip holders are in great shape.
    I just though the carbine was a wonderful gun to post on Memorial Day. Kinda makes one think of where we have been and where we are going as a nation.

5. Incredible.

Both of those guns are "keepers" for sure.

AD

6. SWEET! You should inform the grand daughter not to store the 1911 in the leather holster unless she plans to take it out and clean it on a regular basis. Leather will draw moisture and ruin whatever finish is left on the gun if left unattended for a long period of time.

7. diesel

diesel

She has been told, 1 Shot. However the holster is not leather. The entire rig, holster,clip carriers, and belt are of a kind of twisted burlap looking material. I'm really not sure what it is made of? Anyone know what this material is?

8. Diesel,

In another thread you asked if you should shoot the carbine.

I'd say you owe it to your father-in-law to make sure it's in good condition and then take it out and put a few rounds through it.

Maybe 5 rounds, for the history of it, then put it away again.

Maybe make it a family tradition on his birthdate (or death) or Memorial day to just put a few rounds through it.

When my mother was still alive, she displayed a flag outside the house on Memorial Day that she flew all the time I was in Viet-Nam.

At one time she wanted to replace it as it had visibly aged and was obviously well used, but I convinced her it was our family "battle flag" and she was allowed to fly it due to its history.

I put your carbine in that league. Something that needs to be in your family forever.

AD

9. diesel

diesel

Thanks AD. I will take your advise and fire it sparingly.

10. cableguy

cableguy

That is really cool. That insignia looks like the Springfield cross cannon logo. I do not know when Springfield started using that. That thing is freaking cool though. The only stuff I ever find in a basement is junk. Enjoy it.

11. diesel

diesel

I believe it is the symbol of the U.S. Artillary divisions.
    The maker of the carbine is New Postal Meter 1942 as stamped on the barrel.

12. Orlando

Orlando

Very nice find. I would do a very good cleaning and shoot it. You will not hurt or take any value away from the rifle. I bet your Father in law would be pleased if you took her to the range.
    I had four carbines at one time, sold them all but one

The stamp is a Ordnance Wheel with crossed cannons is a acceptance stamp
    If you look in the sling well on the other side of the stock there should be some letters, what are they?
    Hold the carbine up in the light and look under the back of the rear sight. The manufacture will be there. It may or may not match who made the barrel

Last edited: June 28, 2012
  13. diesel

diesel

Thanks for the info Orlando. I will do as you say first chance i get. I'll be getting back to you. Eyes just aren't what they used to be.