Lyman 452374 casting large

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by whitewolf68, December 15, 2011.

1. I have my fathers old 452374 and I've cast some boolits with it and went to size then with my RCBS .452 die and lyman 4500. The first couple and only ones I've sized have lead pushed up from the bottom of the boolit.

They are dropping at .454 using WW lead and Lyman #2 from Roto Metals. Not sure what to do here.

2. forrest r

forrest r

Don't know but you don't need anything that hard for 45's. Most 45's get loaded to the 800 to 900fps range = soft lead & good lube.

3. I completely did not think about the low speed of the round. :)

4. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    Yeah, and a .45 mould that drops "big" is worth its weight in gold to some. Hang onto that one.

If you ever get into a tought sizing problem, try pushing them through a LEE sizer and then through the lubrisizer.

I have also had good luck with the .45 ACP with normal lube groove bullets tumble-lubed.

5. Yeah they are dropping at .454 with WW lead and .456 with Lyman #2. I've not see the Lee sizers before I just might stop and look into them. Anything special like another press?? I already have 3 presses mounted and running out of room.

I wont let go of that mold. It belongs to my dad. I did have to buy small handles for it, it's a single cavity mold but does a beautiful job.

6. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    The .45 Colt has had a history of wildly varying throat diameters and you may run across one some day that someone got tired of trying to shoot commercial cast through it needs that very mould to make it shoot.

No special press, but I bought a LEE O-frame press for bect to nothing several years ago that I use for sizing and for de-cap-only operations. I have been using the LEE 3-hole turret press since 1982 for all of my reloading, to include some wildcat stuff and all my varmint stuff. Don't have a progressive for the handgun rounds either. I could get ny with just that turret press but I bought the other one on sale and use it clamped to a bench when I do odd things that don't fit the 3-die/3-hole turret routine.

You can mount the LEE sizing dies in any press - they are standard threads and you may be surprised at what the leverage of a loading press does compared to the lubrisizer. I almost broke my lubrizier sizing 310 grain LEE .44s that were very, very hard. They pushed through the LEE sizer easily. I then rna them through the lubrisizer just to lube them conventionally. The LEE sizers are about $15 each and you can even open them up a fuzz with some careful polishing. No nose punch to buy and keep track of either.

7. As long as dad does not want it back, which I highly doubt, I will keep the mold. :) It is casting some beautiful bullets thus far and I expect it will as long as I keep it in good working order.

He does have a .45 Long Colt that he loads for so perhaps I will cast some bullets for him to reload for that one as well, but, he is gonna have to give me the lead to do it. LOL

I have a Rock Chucker II bolted to my bench that I use for large rifle round reloading, 2 Dillion 550B, and a Mec 600 JR no to mention 2 Lyman 4500's. One of the Dillions and the Mec are alternated as needed. I will have to get a Lee sizing die for the Rock Chucker. It is a bit tough right now running them through the Lyman 4500 but do-able. Thank you for the heads up on the Lee sizer.