Love my '03s

Discussion in 'Curios & Relics Corner' started by ArmsMonkey, January 20, 2013.

1. ArmsMonkey

ArmsMonkey

I love my '03s, I can't say I have alot of them, well, I guess it depends on who I compare myself to, lol.

I saw some on armswarehouse that look pretty decent.

One I noted said it was a low number rifle, can anyone tell me what this means?

2. diesel

diesel

Early serial number.:flag:

3. Watch what you buy if you want an 03.There were some that had issues with the heat treating of the receivers and they could be dangerous with certain loads.I do not know where the cut off is for these serial numbers,but all that I have read about buying an03 says to have it checked by a gunsmith first.

4. Orlando

Orlando

Early Springfield 1903s under 800,000 serial and Rock Island under 286,506 serial are considered unsafe to shoot from brittle steel in receiver

5. Josh Smith

Josh Smith guest

I really want a 1903 or three.

Problem is that they're going for crack smoking prices. Same reason I don't own a Garand -- I look at milsurp rifles as tough, utilitarian tools that will see work.

If I pay so much for a rifle I'm afraid to scratch or dent it, then it's likely a rifle I'll probably not buy, even though I may really want it.

Josh

6. Orlando

Orlando

You gotta pay to play. Its all about supply and demand.
    If you look around and take your time you can get a decent 1903 or A3 for $600 or so
    Good Garands can be bought at CMP for $525 and $625