• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Long range deer hunting

Now that we are allowed to hunt deer with rifles here in Ohio. I thought it would be interesting to hear what rifle/caliber combinations people think would be a good long range hunting. I would consider anything over 200 yards long range, especially here in Ohio. The only ones I can think of would be .357 Maximum, .444 Marlin and the 45/70 Government. They won't have much punch beyond the 200 yard mark but they will take a deer at that distance. Lets here what you think.

Jim

I have a little farm in the hills in vinton county and would be hard pressed to get a 200 yard shot! I now hunt with a 4570 and if needed could take that shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
I firmly agree with Moosie. I hunt 70 private acres in Mahoning county for the last 40 + years. The farthest shot i've taken was at a little 6 pt. three years ago on the last day of the season. I stepped it off to that little deer at 62 yds.
He dropped on impact and never even kicked his feet. Killed with a 2 3/4", ounce and a quarter Lightfield Hybred slug. I actually think your hurting yourself buy going to a "rifle", for these close up shots, if you already own a good slug gun.
Todays modern shotguns with FIXED rifled barrels are more that plenty for deer. If I was forced to use a rifle?..........as Moosie said, a 45/70.:flag:

Sorry, 4 years ago.
It matters MOST where one hits a deer more so than what he hits it with. You can plainly see, in the attached photo, this deer was shot through the heart.;):flag:

Attachments

Last edited:
I agree with Diesel on this one shot placement is everything. 200 yard deer shoots are doable but the vitals are a must for a clean kill. The 45/70 is a good cartridge for deer but keep and open mind.

Guys, I don't pull the trigger unless I believe it will be a clean ethical and humane kill on an animal. I am 60 this year and to date I have not lost a deer that I have shot at. Since a lot of us are in that senior territory as I am. We have seen deer hunting with smooth bore shotguns evolve to what it is today. I started out as a youngster with an H&R .410 pump and currently have the Winchester SX3 in the deer barrel configuration. I also hunt with pistols in T/C Contender and Ruger SBH in .44 magnum. Last year I took a 9 point with my Marlin 45/70 at 70 yards. Over the years we have not only seen the shotgun evolve but we have added pistols, rifles and better optics. With those changes and assuming we all will take ethical shots. Has the distance we can take deer at changed and if so what guns and calibers can do it. Just for the record, I have not taken a deer over 96 yards. That was with my T/C Contender with a scoped 12" .44 magnum barrel.

Jim

Attachments

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
That's a very nice buck, Jim! I'm am the same age as you and understand you better after reading this last post. You already know what the guns will do so it's a matter of your choice.
Any of the rifles you mentioned earlier will do the job (I still like the 45/70 though).
My biggest thrill in the fall woods was killing one with a muzzle loader, though I believe one would have to be a great shot to kill one out to 200yds.

I have a bolt action, full rifled (fixed) Savage with a little 2 to 7 Nikon on it that I love.
In my neck o da woods, I wouldn't trade it for a rifle as there are few, if any, shots over a 100yds.Let us know what you choose and the results. And good luck this fall, too. That nice nine in your photo may be hard to beat, Jim.....lol.

Talk at ya later, i'm about to go out in da back forty and not see any turkeys....lol.

And BTW, I like your choice of the .44Mag and the T/C. I have never kill one with a pistol. :flag:

Last edited:
dstegjas , diesel I too grew up hunting in Ohio with a shotgun and a lot of deer have fallen to them! I now deer hunt in Ohio with my Marlin 1895 because I like it , and now it is legal[emoji3]It won't do anything my 1187 won't do under 150 yards but variety is the spice of life[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moosie, "The spice of life" is probably the best way to describe it. I always enjoy a challenge but certainly with the boundaries of being ethical. Different calibers and guns are fun to experiment with. However my fall back gun will always be my 12 gauge, even though my contender has taken more deer. One of the good things I guess is you end up with a lot of guns and that's not such a bad thing.

Diesel, I hope you had some luck looking for that gobbler.

Jim

Nice bird Diesel. My buddy is still looking for his tom. So far all he has seen is 2 hens. He also had a coyote chase a doe past his blind. Guess what I will be doing when turkey season is over. :)

Jim

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
You'd be more than welcome to come shoot coyotes at my place. When I first moved in here 12 years ago, it was not unusual to see 30 turkey in my back yard. 5-6 years ago the coyotes showed up. Now if I see 2 or 3 that's something. It's got to be the coyotes taking the bulk of them. Unfortunately, I seem to have an unusual amount barred owls as well. I've been told the big owls are very tough on the young birds.

Just an aside, Jim. I have a turkey decoy with a battery operated movable tail fan. I believe this decoy brings them in that last 20 or 30 yards one needs to get a decent shot.:flag:

My back yard 10-12 years ago. Best backyard day last year.

Attachments

Last edited:
Well Diesel, the coyotes we can take care of. The owls are a different story. If I am not mistaken they are on the state of Ohio protected species list. If we whack one of those babies we are in big trouble. All kidding aside, I didn't realize that the owls would go after turkeys. I'm not sure there is anything you can do about that.

I will have to tell my buddy about your decoy. I have never seen one before.

Jim

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
coyote.jpg You're right, they are protected. And you're right, nothing to be done about them. I talked to a young fellow the other day at the service station (friend of a friend) Told me he'd be happy to trap them out but, i'd have to wait for snow. He uses a deer carcass and snares. Said he got 9 already this year.:D:flag:

Hit by a car last weekend 100 yards from my house.

That decoy works pretty well and is relatively inexpensive. Seems to have worked for me.:)

Last edited: