• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

latest project

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
I decided to try something a little different this time around.
I purchased, a drop forged Sabatier chef knife for the little womans Xmas gift.
According to the story, a gentleman purchased an entire Elephant Sabatier factory in Thiers, France, over 100 years ago, and had the entire content shipped to the states. Apparently, someone found this old stash in a warehouse, and decided to sell.
This blade is virgin forged, from virgin steel, and has never been ground or worked on in any way. The blade is 10.25" X 2.25" and a quarter inch thick at the bolster.

View attachment 1049

I left many of the production marks in the blade as I find them very becoming on an antique blade. I added South American Rosewood scales and brass pins.

View attachment 1050View attachment 1051

I think it looks pretty good for a couple days work.:D:flag:

MikeH121

vip
Army
You also have to remember it aint stainless. Can't just use it and set it in the sink. It must be cleaned.

And invest if not in possession of already a good round knife blade file. The chef kitchen thingy. Hit the blade 4-5 times each side before cutting a sharp knife is safer.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Your right, Mike, should be cleaned AND oiled after every use.
Yes we have a Chicago Cutlery round file that's used quite often.
Just thought it was a heck of a nice blade for $30 and love the fact of its age and provenance.

I like it so much, I ordered five more of various sizes!:flag:

daniellawecki

Army
vip
Army
Very nice as always your work just keeps me reading all your post. Thanks for a little history lesson.

MikeH121

vip
Army
I have some kitchen Samuri's. ;) They are made like swords. Teruyasu Fujiwara the 4th swordsmith. 10 1/2 inch knife found it for 30 bucks. Just liked the knife found out later it sells for over 600 bucks. It also is mainly used for Sushi which I don't eat. But it slices meat, and veggies like mad.

Found the info here.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Product/155882/10-12-Izuha-Yanagiba-Sushi-Knife---Fujiwara.aspx

Then I found others. Some of the 100+ Japan kinves you will find at Home Goods for under 30.00

I have lots o knives. Second hobby after gun stuff.