• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

knife build

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Hey guys, being a seriously unemployed machinist with no work and nothing to do, I've decided to try my hand at knife making. I'm about to head out into the barn and start my first one.
I've also decided to take you fine folks along for the ride with me if I succeed or if I fail. I'm going to try to chronicle as much of this build as I can and we'll see what happens. If I were a betting man......hey wait.....I am I betting man, i'd bet on me to fail!:D

Well, i'm off to the barn, oh btw, I've already annealed my first metal last night in my grill(an ancient bastard file I bought for $1.00 at a yard sell Friday). I'll try to remember to post some pics later today.
I'm off!!:thumbs: :flag:

Day 1, 2:58 p.m. didn't get anything done. Minor to medium machine failure. Back at it tomorrow.
View attachment 867 View attachment 868

These knives won't be for me, I already have more than I need. I do my gutting and skinning with a 3 1/2" x 1/2" Case sheath knife. For gutting especially, the smaller the blade the better. That blade is so thin, I can get it as sharp as a tack.:D

Notice how I keep my shop super neat + clean!:rofl:

View attachment 869 View attachment 870

If they come out any good, i'm going to make 4, 1 for my son and his 3 friends that cleaned my creek banks a couple weekends ago.:) :flag:

Last edited:
a standard hunting/bowie with smaller(than normal) diameter grips to allow for a good tight wrap with paracord. if you gotta pull off the paracord for use,the knife would still have a useable handle.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Fine job Mike. If my knives come out near that good, i'll be a happy man.
Did you make the knife also?:confused: :flag:

No..it was a Sargent Knife kit from Woodcraft Store. 25 bucks. I had the wood. I have made wood plane blades out of steel, and marking kinves for woodworking. But not an actual knife blade yet.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
I really like the design of the rear of the handle and grips. I was thinking about welding an eyelet for a lanyard on to it, but your set-up is the way to go.
Mind if i steal that design from you? Or perhaps, just borrow it for a while......LOL:D

I love wooden grips, but it cost an arm and a leg to get wood like that. My friend told me that wood for handles has to dry, inside, for 6 years.
Don't know if thats true, but i wouldn't doubt it.

I'm going to make the grips(scales)for this knife out of laminated paper.

I have a 100 lb. plus, black/walnut log in my back shed i was planning on using (Big grips, huh?) but that old shed leaks like a screen door. I've got to get that log out of that shed and into the barn.
If you know a way to dry it Mike, i'll saw you off a piece and send it to you. That sucker is about a foot-14" in diameter and about 4' long. :flag:

Last edited:
Do you have a woodcraft or Rockler store near you? I can get a piece that is 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick by 3-4 inch wide by 18 -24 inches long for under 20 bucks.

They also have cast offs I got 6 Chechan wood boards 4/4 which is about 1 inch thick 6+ inches wide by 3+ feet long...3 dollars per piece.

Wood is cheap that way. already cut dried and ready including exotics. They will cut pieces for you they sell at least 1 board foot. some wood is up to 20+ dollars a BF.

As to the hole in the back if you are making a knife just make the tang longer and drill it.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Wow, that's a good deal on the wood, Orlando. I don't believe there are either of those stores near me.
For right now i'm going to stick with the paper as I already bought a bunch of it.
Thanks for the tips, Sir.:flag:

got a question
your 2nd pic in post #1 shows a knife configuration on the file. If you flipped the direction on the knife on the file and cut out/remove material but left the file intact along the straight upper edge(3 sides),wouldn't you have a knife with a file. some things can be cut and other things that can't be cut with a knife have the ability to be filed.

I have a lot of cut offs. about 3/4 thk by 1 3/4 wide by about 6 inches long. Different types of wood. To get thinner you wood have to slice them. I'll take some pics if you are interested, of the different types and colors of them.

It would only be a few bucks to mail them. They have been sitting for a few years. Depends on what you are going for looks wise.

Let me know.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Thanks Mr. Mike. Ya send some pics, see what ya got.
I'm going to stick with the paper on this one though.
I'd be more than happy to pay postage and some pocket money for yourself.:) :flag:

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Ya 10mm, that's what i'm doing.
Question Sir, i'd like to find some dark blue and some bright orange paracord for this build, that's the color grips this young man wants.
If you have it, i'd buy it from you or maybe you could tell me where to get it. I want the cord for the sheath. Thanks.:flag:

7-1-14
I must say, i'm not real happy with the looks of my blade. Made a bad choice of styles. May have to start over from scratch.:mad: :flag:

View attachment 876

Got it rough sanded. Still think'n bout changing styles.
Oh well.....guess I may as well finish this one first.:) :flag:

View attachment 877

Last edited:
As I said the wood was cutoffs they were maybe around 2 bucks each. but they have been sitting around a while. It

ain't worth it to recover cost of the wood, postage ain't that bad. But mail is a shot in the dark about arrival. Ain't

looking to make a profit, If you can use some I have Sapele, some leopard some Wenge....I'll take some pics.

Paracord can be picked up from surplus stores, outdoor stores, hiking/camping stores and Amazon.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
7-3-14

Got the medium to fine sanding done last night. And half of the bolster.
Need to finish the bolster and the fine to super fine sanding tonight.

View attachment 878

The very top of the blade is the only way to still tell it started life as a file.(due to screw up while sanding) :flag:

View attachment 879

Day 4 or 5, i don't remember any more; 7-5-14.
Got the bolster done this morning. Toughest part of the build so far.:time::flag:

View attachment 881
Gotta do a little more sanding inside the finger relief, not quite matching up.:mad:

7-10-14
got the knife 90% done.
bolster is on, epoxied, and pinned with 1/8 brass pins.
grips are made and on, epoxied, and pinned with 5/16 aluminum pins.
needs to dry so I can finish shaping grips and sand and finish everything. pics coming.:) :flag:

View attachment 882 View attachment 883

Get'n there. Another day or 2(or 3)of sanding and she'll be done!:) :flag:

Last edited:

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
Damn that is looking VERY nice Diesel. I am truly impressed with your skills sir. Wish I was that talented with my hands.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Thanks alot guy's. This is actually my first one.
Hopefully they'll get better as i go, planning on trying to sell them at the shows and flea markets.
It's quite a bit of work for a few dollars, but it's time consuming and that works for me right now.:flag:

7-12-14
Looks like a knife now. A lot more work on the rear of the handle and
much more fine sanding to go. Maybe a finished product tomorrow or Monday.:lol:

View attachment 884 View attachment 885

Believe it or not, that handle consists of 35 layers of Mossy Oak fabric screen and about 15 layers of an old red shirt!

I hate that big bulb on the end of the handle. Gotta fix that....ideas will be appreciated. :D

Last edited: