interesting little gun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by diesel, March 28, 2014.

1. diesel

diesel

I had the good fortune to fire a pistol today that I never even seen before.
    It was a 6+mm Nagant. I've never seen another like it, the actual bullet is seated down INSIDE the shell case. None of the projectile emerges from the top of the case.
    My buddy explained, they were made that way to mushroom the case upon ignition to seal off ALL of the gases. Cool little wheely but the trigger was horrible. I'll see if I can find a pic of it on the net.:flag:

Well....here is what I could find. The one pic shows the bullet well below the rim of the case. The pistol pic is identical to the one I fired earlier;

nagant#3.jpg ammo#2.jpg ammo#3.jpg

Last edited: March 28, 2014
  2. MikeH121

MikeH121

I have a Nagant. 7.62 x 38 Made the last year 1945. Have had it for about 2 years. It can fire 32 longs but yuo have to clean the lead particles out after a few cylinders shot.

3. diesel

diesel

I believe my buddys is also 1945. I'd never seen or heard of these before, so I was happy to see something so different.
    From what I found on the net, they're relatively cheap if you can find one. Is the ammo very expensive?:flag:

4. MikeH121

MikeH121

In a LGS they are about 4-6 bucks fora box of 14. So roughly 28 cents a round. There are aftermarket ammo makers. But you will notice the surplus ammo has a lot more power. There is also a 32 long conversion cylider on the market. As I said you can fire 32 longs, but the lead bullet will put particles in the bore and in the cylinder. It must be cleaned or it will just get clogged. If there was a 32 long in brass or at least jacketed it would be a better choice.

5. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

That's pretty cool. Can you reload them?

6. diesel

diesel

That's not a bad price at all, Mike. I think, perhaps, for $99 bucks I shall bye one for myself and maybe one for Mr. Prep as well.:rofl: :flag:

7. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I see them all the time for sale at Gander Mountain in Toledo. I'll have to take a better look at one.

8. MikeH121

MikeH121

They are Russian surplus like a Mosin you have a hard time killing them. They take a beating. Think it wold be a hard reload as the bullet is inside the casing but I guess it can be done.

Any pistol bigger than a 22 you can get for 99 bucks that shoots is a good buy.

9. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Very interesting gun my wife tells my OT is mine to spend. It does look all that hard to reload for just a few different steps nothing hard.

10. MikeH121

MikeH121

Swing out cylinder unlock push rod push out rounds load. Loading gate and rod just like an old single shot.

The Double action is around 12 pounds though. Single is about 5-6.

It is like shooting someone with a 32 long. So its not the most in power but as I said the surplus ammo has a lot more power than the aftermarket stuff. Nice little history piece and if you go thru the paperwork, thread the barrel and you get a very quiet true silenced pistol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGoPE7VQ9GY