Indiana Police Chief's ND

Discussion in 'News, Headlines and Information' started by BuckJM53, January 21, 2014.

1. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

It never hurts to be reminded that even a momentary mental lapse in the proper handling of a firearm can have disastrous results. Fortunately, in this case the injury was minor and he took full responsibility for the negligent discharge.

Eastern Ind. police chief accidentally shoots self in leg | Indiana - WLWT Home

2. reaper66

reaper66

I see stupidity from both the LEO and the gun store.
    The cop for playing with a loaded pistol and unfamiliar holster.
    The gun store for allowing said cop to handle a loaded firearm in the store.
    Just stupid. Let's hope this painful lesson takes root.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

3. There are a few things to learn about this incident.

First off, don't be experimenting with "new" equipment with a loaded weapon.

And the real important thing here is this paragraph:

"Counceller, who was off-duty at the time, tells the Connersville News-Examiner he was placing the gun in an unfamiliar holster and the trigger caught on some clothing and caused the handgun to discharge."

Although it may sound silly to some people, this is a very real problem with striker fired sidearms.

We see it happen every single Monday night when I'm running as a Safety Officer on the stages. I've done it myself. No, we haven't had the accidental discharge, but we've had many shirts get jammed into the holster of the shooter before we could catch it.

It is a very real possibility to have a shirt, tee-shirt or other article of clothing get caught in the trigger guard as you're holstering the weapon. Be VERY aware of this and you won't have the problem.

Get sloppy or in a hurry and it will happen to you too!

In this officer's case, he's hit the reason for this AD right on the head. The Glock (and all striker fired guns) will not shoot UNLESS THE TRIGGER IS PULLED and you can do that with your clothing if you are not careful.

I've caught myself in a hurry to holster and felt my cover garment wind up in the holster. It used to happen a lot. It NEVER happens these days.

Just one of the things I've learned from shooting in the practical sports game.

My "kudos" to the officer for admitting what happened instead of trying to put some kind of spin on it.

AD

4. reaper66

reaper66

I seen guys holster the pistol faster than they draw it. Why? I don't know.
    I was taught to reluctantly holster and watch it go in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

5. I can guarantee you that the next time anybody reading this thread actually does manage to have their sidearm "pull back" on them while holstering, it will send a chill up their spine as they immediately remember what they read here.

Let's be safe out there.

There's no need to try to break any speed records with a holster!

AD

6. This thread is the reason why I like the 1911 platform and the Springfield USA trigger systems. There are safe guards in place to ensure you meant to pull the trigger. I do own a Glock 30 and enjoy shooting it but I do not carry it daily for the reason above.

7. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I shoot a 1911a1 Springfield last tuesday they want'ed to close the indoor range. I went to the meeting and told the board that the problem was new shooters. Could not handle there weapons the board said that was bulls**t. I told them I could shoot 7rds in the black at 7yrds before my first brass hit the floor they said I was nuts so out came the 1911> the debate was over. Safe and gun control is part of the sport. I'm not a big fan of glocks but I can shoot them. During are league you start lock and cocked holstered there is 11 mag changes in timed fire I reloaded and shoot 72rds on taget with 11mag changes in just over 1min and change. So locked and cocked is not a promblem if you practice drawing and shooting. Not bragging it took 2yrs on the league to beat my score ' I'm not a bulls**t shooter. I"M F**King good so you have to practice what you preach. THE RANT IS OVER> Dan L

Last edited: January 21, 2014
  8. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I can take 2 auto's and 2 revolvers and shoot them one after another and take the black out nice small groups.

9. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

WW ... I couldn't agree more. Both of my current carry pistols (Springfield 1911 Micro-compact and CZ 2075 RAMI) are carried cocked and locked and I definitely don't see any scenario that would move me in the direction of a Glock style trigger system for carry!