I won the Power Ball drawing

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by ADulay, August 27, 2015.

1. All,

Well, technically I did.

Seems we had a raffle down here on one of the Florida gun forums.

15 tickets sold. The winner got a $1000 certificate to Shoot Straight.

I bought a ticket and got number "12" and "27" for the Aug 26th PowerBall drawing "kicker" number.

As my knowledge of the lotteries is limited, I had to see what I had just bought into!

The premise was that there were only 15 tickets sold. Numbering the tickets from 1 to 15 worked and then just add 15 to it and each person got two numbers.

How to determine the winner? Choose the first date of the PowerBall that came after all tickets were paid for. That would be Aug 26th in this case. The "red" number would determine the winner. In this case it came up "12" and that was one of my numbers!!

So, now I've got $1000 to spend at Shoot Straight and probably should head on down and see what they've got that I might possibly need.

AD

2. How about a new gun. Maybe a Ruger SR 1911?

3. Rich,

As much as I appreciate the beauty and history of the 1911 platform, it just doesn't have a place at this time in my armory. I've given my reasons before and they still hold up today, at least FOR ME.

However, as I appear to be the only adult male in the country with an NRA membership and no AR platform in the house, it may just be time for me to finally get one.

My last experiences with the AR was in 1968 during the Tet Offensive. I liked it then and I'm sure I'll be able to find something to like now.

I've got plenty of Glocks (in all the major calibers) in pretty much all the sizes, too! I use them for the IDPA and the G30 is my daily carry. No need to be buying any more of those for now. Perhaps a newer revolver (Ruger GP-100) for shooting in that class?

I could possibly see something in a 1911 platform but I try to standardize on handguns which is why the Glocks are currently the sidearm of choice.

Got plenty of holsters so won't be looking at those.

Ammo? I make the local PD look like a mom and pop store with my inventory so I won't be needing any of that.

Shotguns? My trusty Remington 1100 seems to do double duty at the trap range and "in the field" when called for.

Lever action? The Win 94 holds down that fort.

Yes, it looks like I'm being steered towards the AR platform at this point in time even though I'm not quite sure what I'll be doing with it. I normally don't just go to the range and lob lead all afternoon but I suppose I could give "3-Gun" a try, just for grins.

Oh well, I'll wander on down to Fort Myers and check it out later.

Just got back from the Shoot Straight store in Fort Myers (never actually been there before) and it's looking like I'll pick up a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 along with a case of ammunition for it, unless something else catches my eye in the meantime.

At least that's the plan for next week when the certificate shows up.

AD (maybe I could take up archery?)

4. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Andy I like the way you think go for the AR. But some day you're just gone have to start reloading.:)

5. diesel

diesel

Your not the "only male" without an AR. I sold my AR two years ago when i bought my M1A(M14).
    Just figured there was no need for two battle rifles in the safe and i liked the M1A much more than the AR.

I'm not quite sure what the M&P-15 is (.223?) but i love my Smith revolvers. However, i have owned a GP-100 in the past and it too is a fine revolver.
    Good luck with whatever you choose. The way you shoot, i'm quite sure you can hit well with any gun in your hand.

I'm also very happy your considering a wheelie. You know how much i love my revos. :flag:

Last edited: August 28, 2015
  6. I keep thinking about reloading but at this time, I really don't have any space in the house where I could comfortably set up a rig to do it correctly. I do have a neighbor across the canal that I shoot IDPA with who had a very nice rig and if need be, I can use his entire set up for pretty much any caliber I want.

Then there's the time element. You guys may find it hard to believe, but being retired does not necessarily equate into having tons of "free" time to do things. As it turns out, there's PLENTY of things to occupy your "free" time. Luckily for me, most of it is fun stuff.

In fact, after lunch at the club, I'll be headed over to the range to prepare and set up for tomorrow's IDPA Classifier match.

The fun just never ends.

AD (and prep the boat for the hurricane on Monday)

7. Reloading isn't for everybody. With the cost of generic handgun ammo going down and the time involved to reload,why bother.

8. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I shoot way too much not to reload. Also I'm not sticking to one caliber and my next gun will be a AK-47.

9. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    So there is more to reloading than cost. Reloading to me is relaxing and a sense of accomplishment in making the best ammo for each and every gun I own. From mild to wild lite bullets to the heaviest in a gun Be it RN, SWC or WFN bullets. As small groups are always my goal. I've use my ammo in Action Pistol on the league in .45 1911's. Where we start locked 7 cocked 11 magazine changes under the clock. So for me buying ammo on sale isn't the goal I want. Sorry for the rant and thread hijack.:thumbs:

10. You always do have good luck AD. Congrats and go crazy.

11. Well, here's what I wound up with.

Smith & Wesson M&P-15. Tossed in some spare magazines, cleaning kit, normal sling, magazine loader and 1000 rounds of ammunition.

Not bad for a $100 ticket, eh?

Now I just need to find a decent mount for the rifle on the bike!!

AD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Way to go Andy nice choice now all we need is a range report sir.:flag::clap:

13. Well, after figuring out a decent way to strap the AR to the back of the bike, I made a quick run down to the range and got myself setup on the 100 yard range. Had it all to myself today as they were setting up the rest of the range bays for tomorrow's big Holiday match.

Basic information was that right out of the box, it was dead nuts on at the shorter ranges. 25 yards.

Backed off to 50 yards, free standing, and was still making head shots.

Backed off to 100 yards, which is about the limit of what I can see and still recognize the difference between a target and a cow, and was still hitting COM while free standing.

Once again, this is right out of the box, no optics or anything. Just free standing in the open. Iron sights. No apparent wind to speak of.

I have no doubt that with any kind of optic mounted, 100 yard head shots would not be a problem.

Now I just have to find something to do with the new gun! Perhaps "3-Gun" is in my future this fall.

AD

[​IMG]

14. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Thanks Andy would love to hear about your three gun shooting. Sounds like you and your new gun are becoming good friends.

15. what kind,brand,was the 1000rds of ammo ?
    both of my ARs'(5.56/223 & 9mm) are iron sights only for quick acquisition. Scopes and distance is for the Rem 700 223 and Ruger 300AAC bolt actions.

Last edited: September 5, 2015
  16. I've only tested two brands of 223Win.

Federal "American Eagle" 55 grain FMJ
    and
    PMC Bronze 55 Grain FMJ

I've only shot 50 of each but there have been no problems at all with either of them.

Just basically making sure the rifle does what it is supposed to do.

My "scoped" rifle is the Win 94 lever gun. For some reason I have a harder time with the sights on that one and needed the optic for 100 yards and out.

AD