I come to my friends with a new rant lol

Discussion in 'Off Topic Room' started by Minimal Brat, December 23, 2012.

1. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

First, I want to say I am not against anyone hunting. I find it quite silly to hear someone say something like, why do you need to hunt and kill animals when you can go to the store to buy meat lol.

Second, I couldn't careless if someone wants to eat dead things lol from time to time a good hamburger really hits the spot. I cook meat for the family that doesn't mean I want to eat it often lol. The thought of eating an animal generally turns my tummy. There are times nothing else will do but a nice piece of dead animal lol.

Here is my complaint.

Why is it as people learn I can shoot and am getting pretty darn good at it they think I should want to hunt? I have no desire to go out and bang away at little animals, or big animals for that matter.

Yes, I agree I would feel a sense of pride at being able to provide for myself. Yes, I do think it would be a good skill to have if a time comes we can no longer get meat at the butcher shop. This does not mean I want to kill an animal. This does not mean I want to look at the animal I just killed.

I seem to be getting ganged up on lately from those I know who hunt. Their wife's like it, their girlfriends so on and so on. Great, let them enjoy it. I see nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with me because I don't want to.

2. MikeH121

MikeH121

I do not hunt either. But I do eat meat. I do not really need a gun for hunting prey, it is an option in case, but I DO need one for not becoming prey. By those who would do so to the 2 legged animals for 20 bucks or my watch, or the government that would also do so for pretty much the same reason.

It is so much easier to open the plastic or paper wrap and pull out the meat or chicken then getting up, stalking, killing, cleaning, dragging, and processing the thing. Easier to buy a tomato than grow one, so I am not a farmer or gardener, fastest way for your plants to die is to let me touch them. I have done both hunting and gardening, and I can, but the store is just minutes away.

3. diesel

diesel

Hahahaha...you are to much, my dear. There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with those of you who do not care to hunt.
    I'd rather see, like you, one who admits they'd rather not kill an animal, than those who pretend to be hunters and know nothing of it, just to impress the crowd they happen to be sharing a bar stool with.
    Hunting is a funny thing....seems to me that one who grows up hunting, tends to stay a hunter and vise versa. When I was a young man, I got into hunting at 14 years old, after my father died, to put some very hard to afford meat on the table. From there I learned to love it, and still do, however I enjoy the hunt MUCH more than I enjoy the kill.
    Maybe you can try a little diesel philosophy, do as YOU see fit and to hell with what others think of you.:p :flag:

Last edited: December 24, 2012
  4. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

I have a friend who bow hunts. He tells me the same thing. He loves the hunt much more than the kill. I asked could I do the hunt and not the kill lol. He said sure if you want to come along to ramble through the woods that would be fine. HEAVY SIGH he said I could not bring my knitting lol. He said remember how much you use to love to go paint balling. You were one with the woods. You would hunt down that jerk that kept calling you Chester and blast him lol. That is the thrill of the hunt.

I do here by promise you can take me hunting and I will not wear my new white tennis shoes and run around screaming RUN RUN. lol

5. You're not alone.

I don't hunt either but people have always asked me if I do and where I go.

Jump back into the "way-back machine" about 40 years ago or so and you'll find me in an Ohio field during duck season up north. I was just basically going on a solitary hunt by myself late in the afternoon. Not a big expedition, just out for a walk, shotgun in hand, looking for a target of opportunity of sorts.

Sure enough, here comes a nice "V" of ducks right at me. I bring the trusty Remington 1100 up to the shoulder and make a perfect hit on the lead duck!

As anyone who has shot a large bird knows, when they take a hit like that, they just crumple instantly and go from flapping and flying into an instant brick a split second after you hit them. The duck was coming at me overhead so this "brick" just fell out of the sky and dropped about 6 feet in front of me. I'd never actually seen a duck fall that close and it got my attention right on the spot.

I've not hunted since then. Haven't felt the need.

It doesn't bother me that almost all of my friends DO hunt, it's just not for me since that day. I can see where people want and like to hunt, it's just my thing anymore.

Anyway, back to reality and today!

I've gone out in the desert with buddies who take out the prarie pups like shooting tin cans, but I just kind of go along for the beer now. I'll save the bullets for the bad guys.

Please, I don't hate hunters. I'm in awe of some of the hunting stories I hear and think it would be an excellent adventure with some of them, it's just not for me these days.

AD (I still own and shoot that Remington 1100)

Last edited: December 24, 2012
  6. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

Oh gosh I don't hate hunters. I cheer them on to bring me deer meat lol. I just really have no desire to go kill animals.

7. diesel

diesel

Brat and AD, an idea. If you enjoy the hunt and deplore the kill, try this.
    Prepare like any other hunter(wear orange, use odor killing clothing and sprays, etc.) but instead of carrying a rifle or shotgun, bring along a decent quality camera. Use the photo as the kill shot.
    I know of others who do this and their pics are some of the best around.
    Give it a try, who knows, you may find a new addiction there.:flag:

8. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

This is exactly what my friend just told me. I can come out with him, he bow hunts, and take pics. I don't have to kill an animal. He said he will replace my chanel number 5 with raccoon urine. I have to think on this change of perfume lol.

9. Doing what is right for you.

Hunting in the true sense serves a specific purpose to me. That is providing food for the table, not necessarily mine but if I bag a deer there are organizations in the state that will take the animal and provide meat for those in need.
    I go hunting pretty much every year on my own property but very seldom shoot at anything I see and not because I am look for that special buck either. I've come to respect the wildlife that live around me and feel that if that day comes when that is where I will buy my meat they will be there when I need them. I will shot and tag a deer who is suffering because of hunters who aren't diligent and track what they injure :banghead: and I've been know to shot a deer that is visually disformed genetically to eliminate the possible spread into the pool. :( This I regard as good sportmanship and at the same time those who would rather not hunt just because they are goadded into doing this too is good sportsmanship. So do feel bad about it, you are doing what is right for you. That is what matters in life, Kudos.