How to make homemade hollow points

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by whitewolf68, January 30, 2012.

1. [video=youtube_share;IEsTD8CJzAg]http://youtu.be/IEsTD8CJzAg[/video]]

2. rjrivero

rjrivero

I'm not sure what the point is of making hollow point lead slugs. The benefit of a semi wad cutter or flat tip lead projectile is that it will deform plenty as is. The hollow point phenomena is more for jacketed bullets that hold the lead from deforming on impact, right?

I don't know how valuble this is without some other data to support the claim "This will expand nicely." As far as I know, ALL lead deforms and expands nicely. It's the jacketed bullets that don't. Or am I missing something?

3. The post was more for people who are casting their own leads that do not want to buy the expensive hollow point molds. :)

4. rjrivero

rjrivero

Fair enough. I guess what I'm trying to understand is WHY would I want lead hollow points? I can understand why you want hollow point jacketed bullets, but this lead hollow point stuff I don't get.

I'm a believer in the Keith style bullets especially in larger calibers. However, I'm just not understanding the hollow point lead bullet thing. Could you or anyone, please explain to me the benefit for hollow point lead bullets?

I've only been casting bullets for a year. I don't have any hollow point moulds. However, I do have a bunch of nice flat "Keith Style" bullet moulds. :)

EDIT:

Figured it out. It allows for expansion at lower velocities. Makes sense to me now. I have been doing a lot of reading about Keith bullets and just didn't stop to think about the physics involved with lower velocity bullets and expansion. Sorry for the off road discussion here. Carry on all!!:bow:

Last edited: August 6, 2012
  5. No worries I always appreciate good conversation and/or questions. ;)

I've been casting for a couple of years now myself and I can honestly tell you I've yet to make any hollow points either. I just found the video and concept quite intriguing.