Help

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by diesel, June 26, 2014.

1. diesel

diesel

As I told you guys in another post, my son found an old COLT 1911 at his girl friends house(which she gave him).
    I am a bit perplexed by some of the markings on this gun and you guys are the best I know.
    I'll list some of the info and hopefully you boys can tell me the meaning.:flag:

I looked up the serial no. on the PROOFHOUSE website.
    According to them, 7486 serial no. was built in 1912, however;
    1.) the last patent date on the slide reads 1913,
    2.) E.E.C. on the frame is code for inspector who worked for Remington 1917-18;

IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0543.JPG 1.jpg

IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0546.JPG 2.jpg

IMG_0541.JPG

Last edited: June 26, 2014
  2. That is so cool and I am so jealous.

AD

3. Speculation, but it could be a postwar rebuild. Lots of those around.

4. diesel

diesel

That's what I thought at first, Grinder. And it may well be as I haven't the chance to tear it down yet.
    Aren't the old military Colts supposed to have all parts marked with a serial number?
    I must say this, on inspection of the gun proper, the patina is exact. If it was rebuilt, it was done a long time ago.
    Hopefully I can tear it down this Sunday as I've nothing serious going on. I'll let you guys know what I find.:flag:

5. diesel

diesel

Me too!!! AD.
    I just gifted that boy a Ruger flat top .44 Mag for his b/day in April. It cost me $100 just for the period correct grips.
    You'd think that young fella would have it in his heart to gift the .45 to me. Hahahahaha:rofl::flag:

6. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Remember with kids it always flows their way. Its kind of like a one way street.:arrow:

7. diesel

diesel

LOL....Dan. As usual, your right.:lol: :flag:

8. Orlando

Orlando

Slide may not be original to frame . Its not unsual to see early 1911's with mixed, slides/frames

9. diesel

diesel

That's what i'm think'n, Orlando. I'm yet to take it down as i'm very busy.
    With the last patent date of 1913, and a believed production date of 1912, something doesn't jibe.:flag:

10. Orlando

Orlando

If you send me some close up pics to my e-mail I can help you with what you have. PM sent

11. Orlando

Orlando

What you have is a Remington UMC 1911 with a Colt slide. The letters "EEC" is a Remington inspector.
    Please look closer and post and other stampings letters.

12. diesel

diesel

Ok, Orlando, makes sense. I'll take pics of any other letters I can find as soon as I get a chance.
    I'm spending a lot of time getting my little shop up and running(not to mention a lot of money) and trying to do this knife.
    I'm tied up today, and going to Cleveland to pick up a belt sander Friday.:cry::flag:

13. what area/part of Cleveland are you going to,I have a bunch of old files you're welcome to. I used to pick up large used files at Canfield swap meet and used them to break the edge of brake rotors when doing brakes. Now I use a conventional belt sander for one side and a small handheld belt sander for the other side.

14. diesel

diesel

Not sure 10. I'll have to look at that Craigslist post again to get the town name.
    I'll get back to you.:flag:

Fenn Rd. just NNE of Medina

sander.jpg

I'd love to get those old files from you. Do you have an old farriers rasp?

Attached Files:

Last edited: July 3, 2014
  15. I google image 'farriers rasp',no I don't have.

going to Cleveland is totally different than Medina,they're an hour apart on interstate 71.

Last edited: July 3, 2014
  16. diesel

diesel

I didn't realize that, I thought they were very close.....sorry.:confused: :flag:

17. In 3 weeks,26th or 27th,I'm planning(weather and all else permitting) on the Canfield automotive swap meet which is 6 miles from Lowellville,maybe then.

18. diesel

diesel

Sounds good my friend. It's really like 16 miles but just say'n.
    Let me know, brother, i'll meet you out there.:) :flag: