Getting The Most Out Of Less Ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by BuckJM53, August 4, 2013.

1. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

As we've all seen, it's easy these days to find opportunities to commiserate with fellow shooters over our collective inability to find adequate amounts of reasonably priced ammo to feed our shooting addiction to the levels that we have in the past. Instead of adding to the misery, I thought it might be useful to put our heads together and share some of the "best practices" that we have found to stretch our ammo and still enjoy our range time. As one who shot on average 400 to 500 rounds a week (mixture of .45acp, 9mm & .22s) for many years, I'll start by sharing a few of the things that I have found helpful. I now average around 200 to 300 rounds per week and because I enjoy what I'm now doing and how I'm doing it, I doubt that I will go back to my old ways even after the supply and price return to a more normal level.

1. INTENTIONALLY REDUCING AMMO LOADED - Just because our pistols/revolvers will hold 6 - 17 rounds doesn't mean that must start with a full magazine or revolver every time. With my .22s I am loading 4-5 instead of 8-10 rounds and only loading single magazines at a time. With my 9s and 45s, I load a maximum of 3 rounds.

2. SLOWING DOWN MY PACE - Verifying that my stance, grip, sight picture are where they should be for each shot .... taking that extra breath before pressing the trigger ... making sure of the proper follow through with each sent down range (this of course doesn't apply in the same way during my drawing, point shooting and general SD exercises)

3. MAKING EVERY SHOT COUNT - While I've never been one to just walk up to the line and aimlessly shoot magazine after magazine without a plan, my focus now is even more on quality vs. quantity. Whether I'm doing my Aim Small/Miss Small exercises, self defense exercises or participating in a contest, I take a moment to think about what I'm doing, how I'm doing it, what I hope to achieve and how I can improve it going forward.

I'm interested to hear what you guys and gals are doing differently to stretch your ammo supply these days. :)

2. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I practice pretty much the same as you when groups start to falloff I pack it up and go home or bs with other shooters.

3. Sorry about the late reply here.

I have not been able to get to the range at all due to monetary issues. With the new job now I hope to change that.

Like you I try to make every shot count but I get nervous at times and lose focus, something I am working on.

I love going to Shooters in Maumee and just smelling the gunpowder give me chills. Love that smell.

4. I basically did what you suggested. I mostly shoot .22 lr rifles. Instead of using 10 & 25 round magazines in my 10-22, I have been shooting 5 round magazines in my bolt action Savage. This way I spend more time between magazines and I eliminate my urge(s) to rapid fire the auto loader. Funny thing is targets last longer also.