• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

First time reloaded need advice

This is my first time reloading. I just picked up a Savage Stealth 10, 6.5 Creedmore and quickly noticed how expensive ammos are. So I decided to reload as I also want to get the ammo tuned for the rifle for long range shooting. But this is going to be my first time ever reloading. I think I bought everything I need( Hornady single stage press, 2 die set for 6.5, primer, Hornady 140g eld tip, ruler, scale, and other knick knacks. I have yet to get brass, and powder as I can't seem to find the recommended stuff locally. Anything a new reloadeder should watch out for?

tom

nra
airforce
This is my first time reloading. I just picked up a Savage Stealth 10, 6.5 Creedmore and quickly noticed how expensive ammos are. So I decided to reload as I also want to get the ammo tuned for the rifle for long range shooting. But this is going to be my first time ever reloading. I think I bought everything I need( Hornady single stage press, 2 die set for 6.5, primer, Hornady 140g eld tip, ruler, scale, and other knick knacks. I have yet to get brass, and powder as I can't seem to find the recommended stuff locally. Anything a new reloadeder should watch out for?
Get a Reloading manual, or two. Plenty of on-line reloading data available, but first and foremost, concentrate on what you're doing, go slowly, and start with minimum loads and work UP. Don't try to skip steps to quicken the process, and you'll be fine.

Powder. I'm reading through the forums and watching YouTube. And I see people recommending using H3450, R-17, and IMR4451 as the go to powder for Creedmore ammo. I've went to Cabella's, gander, Dick's, also fun fur but they were closed. Don't feel like paying the haz mat fee, but I might have to.

FFF closed ?
Powder shelves at FFF Middleburg Hghts were full last week. Hodgdon site shows a huge variety of powders useable for 140/6.5 Creedmore.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

I don't shoot/reload the 6.5(yet) but I've reloaded 17,223,243/6mm,25,30,35 calibers. I've been looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem as a future paper-punching cartridge.

What are you doing for brass acquisition ?

Last edited:
FFF was close on Monday the day I went, not closed completely. I'm trying to go for the long range precision shooting of creed that's why I'm trying to follow those who have already tested the reload I guess. Brass right now I think I'm going to re use the ammo that I have bought ( Hornady). But I see that there is success in converting .243 without much work. Still early as my press is in back order, so I have some time to run around and find stuff.

From your original post I took it that you're in a rush to acquire the stuff,my mis-interpretation.
Medina gun show currently going on this weekend,Akron gun show in two weeks.
The ballistics of the 6.5 projectile have become popular with U.S. shooters. Used to be that 6.5 was only popular in Europe as we liked caliber dimensions,not metric dimensions.
I've been watching for a 6.5 Rem Mag rifle,not for any specific purpose but just to have one,also for the companion cartridge 350 Rem Mag.

On the reloading subject watch Gavin reloading blogs. His site is Ultimate Reloader his site is one of the best. I have watch is reviews on press dies and such. He's a no bs guy. One of his loads for the 6.5 Creedmoor is 120 grain A-max bullet Primer CCI Large Rifle #200 Hodgdon H4350 at 43 grains. Brass is new Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor. I would start at 10% reduced load and work up. You could list what components as far reloading equipment scales dies and such.

Thanks Oldman. I went to Medina today as well and scored some IMR 4451. I bought a small bag of Winchester .243 brass, going to convert that and see how well they do. $39 for 50 brass is a bit steep for me, thanks for checking on it.

As a novice or beginner reloader you are taking on a tall task. To much case lube dinged in shoulder they will blow back in shape. You know you will need to trim and cut your new brass and turn the necks down OD & ID maybe . But I would start this trip with new brass and as you get better at the reloading bench make cases then. You can get good advice from manuals. Then later you can neck size your brass. But you really need to list what reloading tools you have on hand. I take great pride in shooting small groups

^^^ agree, beginner handloaders should not be attempting re-forming brass. I've been reloading since the mid 70s' and this year picked up a 300AAC rifle. Even though 300AAC can be re-formed from 223,I wouldn't attempt it and possible get/be aggravated. There are simple re-formings such as fire-forming to modify a shoulder slightly outward or changing the shoulder shape but pushing a shoulder inward is a no-no in my book.

Edit: I shoot large groups so I guess I'm good against a stampede of Zombies.

Last edited:
Well I tried to goggle search videos on from 6.5 Creedmoor from .243 brass and come up empty. There is a Forum 6.5 Creedmoor where a guy uses .308 cases modified .308 dies and modified .7mm dies. I think you will find the brass cheaper at first. Do you have a lathe or other tooling needed?

Last edited:

This is the video that gave me the idea to use .243. Although he did say Remington brass, I have yet to find those. I've only picked up a few Winchester brass so no biggie if I fail forming them using his method.

Interesting video you have me thinking about a new gun for X-Mas. Dpms has a AR 20'' barreled 6.5 creedmoor that would sure make for fun shooting.

Last edited:
Well I think I can say it was a success converting .243 to 6.5. Although I only tested one brass last night, was quite late so I was only able to do one. I follow the direction on the video and trimmed the brass to 1.920 and started to feed it through the die. First few attempt the brass would not go completely into the die. After some adjustment and some more lubbing I managed to push the entire brass into the die. Came out exactly like the 6.5, with the exception that it now measure 1.90 which is .10 short of spec. I haven't measured the neck size to see if there are any difference as I had to leave for work. But thankfully there was no crushing of the brass and it came out clean. We will see after I do a few more, but for now I'm encouraged.