• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

First real open carry attempt...

If you ever wanna meet at the Central Ave. location for an OC event let me know. :)
Maybe sometime. I frequent the Airport one cause it's close to work to get lunch type things, and because the store manager is a CCW holder and has informed every one of his employees that carry is allowed in his store.

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
That really nice to hear I am thinking about printing my site cards with the reverse side being the open carry laws for Ohio. There are so many people that are not well versed on the law I am sure it is goingto be a bumpy road.

That really nice to hear I am thinking about printing my site cards with the reverse side being the open carry laws for Ohio. There are so many people that are not well versed on the law I am sure it is goingto be a bumpy road.
I might want those. I've been looking for a card or brochure I can carry with me.

I think it would be nice if somewhere it was posted in plain language the laws for concealed and open carry. Some are very confused what they can and can't do.

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
Give me a little time and I will see what I can work up. ;)

addendum: It appears that the only information I can find right now is this.
Ohio’s concealed carry laws do not regulate “open†carry of firearms. If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio.
It appears that the Ohio Revised Code does not authorize, prohibit, or otherwise regulate the open carry of firearms on foot. Open Carry of a handgun or long gun is protected across Ohio by virtue of ORC 9.68 which preempts any municipal laws prohibiting the act. There is no requirement of residency or license to carry openly in Ohio - however, you must be legally in possession of the firearm that you intend to carry. It is recommended that you be at least 18 to carry a long gun, and 21 for handguns.

Last edited:

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
I think it would be nice if somewhere it was posted in plain language the laws for concealed and open carry. Some are very confused what they can and can't do.
I wish the same but alas we are the minority here and of course they would powers that be would never make it that easy. It is up to us to work through that ourselves and I am going to take a stab at it but I cannot guarantee anything as I am no scholar.

Last edited:
I don't understand the concern about OCing in Ohio. This has been allowed forever, I OCed back in the early 70's for protection at an I-77 gas station all the time, with the local LEO knowledge, no problem.
Today, I quess you worry should be the uninformed and less educated public who will cry wolf for no reason at all, but you have the law on your side and if you are a law abiding citizen simply exercising your 2nd Amendment rights you have nothing to really worry about. I still OC as well as CC today and I am leaning more to the OC today. It just seems simpler and less restrictive.

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
I agree with you 100% OC is more comfortable for me as well. I do open carry from time to time but I do try and avoid the LEO encounters as much as possible. I just do not like to be hassled with I suppose and CC sometimes is easier. My wife like for me to CC as well when I am with her because of her courthouse job as well. I suppose I do have the law on my side as well because of her job there with the judge. :D

Some information

Open carry is protected by the Ohio Constitution.
Ohio Constitution Article 1, Section 4

The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.

{Emphasis added.}
Many of us used to carry concealed and relied on a "prudent man" defense if we were ever charged with a violation of laws of that time prohibiting such. When it looked like Klein v. Leis might be successful in the Ohio Supreme Court, legislators and some concealed carry groups rushed to enact concealed carry law. Concealed carry became the licensed privilege (what the courts would call "regulation in the manner" of bearing arms, I suppose) and open carry remains the largely untouched right. If open carry were over-restricted, the court would have to apply a greater scrutiny to the subject matter. At least, that's my take on the whole thing.

R.C. 9.68 prevents local governments from enacting laws that would otherwise violate the rights of Ohioans regarding bearing of arms; openly or concealed. The State can make restrictions but local government can't.

One can carry on a CHL in a bar if they are EtOH free, pick up/drop off students at a school (K-12) if they are immediately doing so & not leaving the automobile, and have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. Open carriers that don't have a CHL can't lawfully carry in a bar, pick up/drop off at a school, or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. Of course, at present Ohio has a funky definition of a loaded firearm... magazines and speed loaders have to be empty, etc. One of the interesting things is how many places in the Ohio Revised Code are technically off limits for concealed carry but the law is mute on open carry. Nobody acting as test cases for these as of yet but I'm sure it'll happen at some point. Some of us talk quite a bit about it. One good example is county buildings (like at a county fair).

Re: Some information

Sorry... it's shorthand for ethyl alcohol = ethanol = drinking alcohol. Et stands for the ethyl group and OH is for the alcohol. In other words, if they aren't drinking alcoholic beverages. :) Indeed, not one drop is allowed, AFAIK.

ETA: I believe it should really be "ETOH" but I always used to write it by hand "EtOH" in lab notebooks and charts so it carried over in typing. I hardly write it or type it nowadays so my mind goes to the handwritten version in my brain. :dumb:

Last edited: