Escaped from Kalifornia

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings - New User Forum' started by GrinderCB, June 13, 2014.

1. Greetings from a Kalifornia transplant.

I've been applying to the Kalifornia Politburo for some time now before finally being allowed to leave.

Seriously, though. I'd been contemplating a move out of CA for several years and finally my employer closed our facility in Irvine, about 35 south of L.A. My choices were either (a) stay in California and be unemployed, or (b) relocate and keep my job. So here I am in Columbus. Nice to be in a free state at last.

Right now my guns are in storage with my uncle in Indiana, until I can get a new safe. I sold the old one in CA rather than move it. Collection had gotten too big for it anyway. My last acquisition was an 1898 Krag-Jorgensen in .30-40 Krag and at 52" in length was too long for the old safe, so I have a few good reasons for a new safe.

Gonna go to my first Ohio gun show this weekend, down at the Westland Mall. Any comments about its quality?

2. Welcome, former Kommiefornian! ;) That is a nice mall, never been to a gun show at that location though.

3. Welcome to Ohio. As someone who has lived in different parts of this country, coming home was a great comfort and has been even better with Ohio's attitude in favor of gun owners.
    Don't know about the gun show of which you speak too far away for me just to go to a gun show.
    I am 100 miles East of you in Tuscarawas County.

4. a few years ago,the westland mall show acquired a bad reputation due to its' area and the 'customers' that frequent the show. I've been told that the situation has improved AND I've been told that it has not improved. Hope to hear of your take of the show.
    C&E(the show promoter) has GREAT shows in NC(yes I travelled from Cleveland to Charlotte just for the show). Drive up north for some good shows,specifically the summer Berea shows and Akron shows.

http://www.ohiogunshows.com/dates.html

Also we have FFF

http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/

5. So I went to the show at the Westland Mall today. The mall itself is closed with only the Sears store open for business. The rest of the mall is partitioned off. When I asked, I was told that the owners of the mall bring in a little money renting it out as a sort of exhibition hall and that C&E has several gun shows a year there. Small show, not much to write home about. Typical vendor action - AR parts & accessories, several gun dealers offering fairly common products, a few coin & precious metals dealers, that sort of thing. I made two full laps of the room in about two hours. Not shopping for anything specific, I went home after that. About the only thing I need at the moment is some .30-40 Krag ammo for the 1898 I bought shortly before relocating here.

6. diesel

diesel

Welcome, Grinder. Don't know much about the Columbus area but here in the northern parts of Ohio, the shows are pretty good. The folks up north seem to be a little more wood and gun-wise than the bigger city folk. Just my personal experiences with folks from that area.
    I pretty much grew up with a gun in one hand and a fish'n pole in the other, however, I have no where near the ballistic and mechanical knowledge of firearms that most of the guys on this site have. These boys are good. If you have related questions, they'll answer them for you.
    Anyways, welcome to the Buckeye state, and head up north when you get the chance. :flag:

7. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Welcome glad you could leave a state that we should let Mexico have. You'll grow into the freedom thing.:rofl:

8. Here's a few details about California gun ownership that some of you may not know. For the politically motivated, it might help to understand what I'm now getting used to with the move to Ohio.

- In CA, Nno magazines over 10 rounds, aka, "high capacity"...if you owned them before 2000 when the ban took effect you can keep them and you can buy parts to rebuild them, but new hi-caps are strictly verboten as is assembling rebuild parts into a working hi-cap...lots of folks, mostly the AR-shooters, have hi-cap lookalikes that hold 10 rounds but have a welded-in rod to prevent the follower from moving too far thus allowing more rounds...hi-cap rebuild kits are big sellers at CA gun shows and as a result there are efforts by state legislators to ban even reload kits...since magazines carry no serial number and are not able to be registered there's no way to know if a person has a "pre-ban" hi-cap or if he assembled it from parts...kinda tells you how far up their arses the politicos had their heads when they passed the law

- any semi-auto rifle with a pistol-grip and a removable magazine is defined in CA as an assault rifle and is therefore illegal...to get around that definition, an AR-owner for example can lose either the pistol grip or the removable mag. Most install a "KBD" (Kalifornia Bastardization Device) such as a Bullet-button, Prince-50 device or AR-Maglock. Those devices replace the conventional mag release button and lock the mag in place so that it can only be removed with a state-approved tool. If there are cops at the range, an AR-owner can expect to be challenged for an inspection to make sure he's in compliance. To replace the pistol grip instead, an AR owner can opt for a "MonsterMan" grip which resembles a hunting rifle stock.

- on a positive note for CA, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, possible the most leftist court in the land (San Francisco-based), recently left CA gun owners scratching their heads wondering what the left was up to...the court recently ruled that concealed-carry regulations in most CA counties were illegal as written and as applied...before the ruling, most sheriff's depts in CA issued CCW's based on the applicant showing a compelling need such as being stalked, etc...since the ruling, most counties are now re-evaluating their CCW-issue rules and are slowly moving toward compliance with the ruling...Orange County was the first to change and now all you have to do there is write "self defense" on your application...as a result, there have been so many new apps that OC now has a 6-month backlog in the interview process before issuance.

- handgun availability...before a handgun can be brought to market in CA the manufacturer must pay a fee to the state attorney general's office, ostensibly to cover the cost of the AG's bureau of firearms to test and verify the gun's ability to function safely...in reality this red-tape manufacturer licensing process prevents many fine new models from becoming available in CA...the fee also doesn't get a gun "on the list" forever, the model falls off the list after a period of time...if the model is a best-seller then the maker might renew but if not then lost of dealers have "buy it now before it falls off the list" sales...any unsold stock on hand is returned to the manufacturer or changed to law-enforcement-only status, or LEO...the Ruger LCP was one such model I can think of...never available to civilians in CA, it was LEO the entire time, civilians could only acquire it by way of private-party transactions, usually if a cop was getting rid of his used pistol he could sell it to a civilian, but no factory-new LCP's were available to civilians...another is the SIG P238...LEO only at the start, the demand increased so much that SIG eventually paid the fee and got a modified version on the market in CA, something to do with the mag-release

I'll post other items as I think of them if anyone else is interested

9. reaper66

reaper66

Welcome from Xenia!
    Never been to California, I hear its a beautiful state. The politics are what keeps me from going. It's one of the few states that I haven't visited.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Tapatalk

10. Most folks I've spoken with who've been there but aren't from there say pretty much the same thing - nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Not really much of any CA news reported here in the midwest, but businesses are bailing out of CA like crazy. About two weeks after my employer announced that our office in Irvine was closing, there was a news story that Toyota was leaving CA. Dealerships only, but no more offices, executives, R&D, manufacturing, etc. You can be a customer and buy a car there and you can work for one of the dealerships which are independently owned, but no dice working there as an office worker, planner, manager, car designer, or anything else connected to the Toyota Corporation.

Nice weather. Good tourist attractions. Lots of recreational activities. Lousy politics and economics.