Dpms

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by daniellawecki, September 26, 2013.

1. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Brain fart day went to Cabelas today with friend. Don,t know why but come home with a Dpms Oracle Burris Scope with rings and turrets setup for 223. Don,t know S*** about black guns at all paid $954.00 out the door. Didn,t think I was going to buy anything any thoughts about a dumb S**t move like that. :banghead:

2. I've got a DPMS 'oracle',it's a step above their 'sportical'.
    Why do you consider it a dumb move. Evidently,inside you've been wanting one and now you got one. One less mental acquisition obsession to worry about. Do you shoot 223 before the purchase. Do you reload. 223/5.56 ammo has dropped considerably since the 'frenzy' and is almost back to prices of before the frenzy.
    ENJOY,ENJOY,ENJOY !!!
    Let us know any mods you do to it.

I've had very many firearm brain farts and regret only a very few of them.

Last edited: September 26, 2013
  3. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I have shot 233 in a Contender Pistol Have reloaded for a friend who's in his 70's. I don't shoot alot of rifles but I think it's time to start. I started out thinking I would buy a Ruger sr1911 to go with the 2 I already own. Mounted scope today if I get some time it's off to the range. The burris scope is very clear the mounts are nice and heavy. The turret is set up for 55gr bullets so once zeroed it should just turn from 100yrds out to 300yrds with no problem its 3x9 with turret adjustments out to 600yrds. It looks like this will be a nice shooter. Die's wont be a problem the guy I shoot with lives around the corner from my house we use each others guns dies.

4. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    10/6 I will take out new firearm to the range hoping to shoot 1moa groups at 100yrds. Will up date tomorrow with range report.:thumbs:

5. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Took the Dpms out on Friday the trigger pull needs work. Really not the type of trigger I,m use to. Still working on grouping this thing using factory ammo no dies and just building a brass supply now. Gander Mountain had 250 rds for $100.00 Burris scope is nice very clear mounts are nice. Going out this mourning to ring things out. What trigger group do any of you use maybe a National match or Tinney trigger group.

6. Steve0Oo

Steve0Oo

I dont know if I'm late on this thread or not, but just thought I'd also throw in that DPMS is a pretty good company. And someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that DPMS was actually the first to come out with the AR platform for Vietnam.

7. I believe/think that Armalite and/or Colt was the original contract award winner and supplier in the 60s'. Since the AR platform is 'milspec',all parts from any manufacturer 'should' interchange,SHOULD ?

M16 rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: October 15, 2013
  8. MikeH121

MikeH121

Should and do are 2 different things. Milspec mean built to Military Specifications. So Like the Garand and the Colt 45 in WWII all shoulkd be interchangable. They are not however coming from different companies with the specs listed.

In the War the companies were given contracts based on what they could make correctly. A private company today can get the specs but the skill of their employees, the quality of the machines they use, their processes, like the run on AR's during the "scare" of a ban, then you see a BCG split apart. The BCG I saw came from Bushmaster.

I am no a fan of Bushmster. I would go with a Windam Weaponry if I was gonna spend that.

I have a DPMS flatop upper, a Stag arms lower, a CMMG trigger group, a Colt Bolt and Firing pin (4 DPMS spares) A Osprey Defense BCG which came with the Piston MagPul Saw Pistol grip, Magpul Mid Handguards, White Oak Armament 16" (with a Mid Length gas port) SS 223 Wylde match grade barrel. Colt Spring and Ring Sniper Tactical Front and rear Flip sights. and more

I do have a bushmaster extractor/pins and spring kit, has all the detents and springs for the lower and bolt and the extractor. Because it was 12 bucks clearanced at DunHams.

9. there have been 'complaints' of the Bushmasters since they were bought out and moved to the Ilion NY plant. Windham Weaponry is the original Bushmaster plant and employees with the quality that Bushmaster used to have.

10. freedomfighter1776

freedomfighter1776

i have two WW i love them i also have a rock river and a dpms . the WW also has m 16 bolts . and most of all you can pick the WW up for a great price . so buy 1 or 2 you wont be let down

11. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Well I,m been shooting the Dpms more. The burris scope is really nice clear on 3x at 100yrds is all you need. Later I will set the turret for 200yrds and check to see how high it shoots the range where I shoot is only 100yrds. I,ll use my Speer reloading Manual #10 Ballistic table to check the #s hoping that with the 55gr bullet and turret combo the #s will workout. Yesterday first 2 shoots were on the x.the bullet holes were touching. Today will only be 3 shot groups measured center to center.So far this low end Dpms has been a winner.:thumbs:

Last edited: October 27, 2013
  12. And in your original post that started this thread,you considered it a 'brain fart/dumb shit move'. You never can tell ahead of time how it'll shoot. Everything worked out in your favor.
    Back in 2012 before the frenzy at gun shows,DPMS sporticals(bare gun) could be gotten for 599+tax and DPMS oracles(bare gun) for 699+tax. Today 954 out the door with scope and stuff has to be considered a good price.
    You could have spent that on a 'supposedly accurate' bolt action and It could have bad accuracy. You never know until you shoot it.

Last edited: October 27, 2013
  13. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I know this thread is about DPMS but I'm thinking about buying a Rock River 24'' barreled AR. The varmint A4 has caught my eye so I'll go to ADCO Firearms later this week to see how much. When bought I'll put a nice scope and set of rings on this aswell.

14. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Been shooting the DPMS with factory ammo for now I would like to have 500 brass before I reload. Off my pistol rest 3 shot groups 2 shots touching each other 3 shot maybe 1" out from them. Umc 55gr bullets this isn't bad for a lower price gun so for my review of the gun I would say this is a fine weapon for the money. This gun has been shooting 1MOA for the last 3 times out. The trigger pull is a bit crude at best but with trigger time I've managed to pull some nice groups. today I shot 5 three round groups for a total 15 rounds. Lets here from others about their AR groups or weapons.

15. I can't believe you thought that was a bad move. I bought my first AR (also a DPMS, bare rifle with flat top upper and a railed low profile gas block and 1 mag) with 120 rounds for almost $1,300. This was during the ban scare of early 2013. I paid way too much, but I wanted it, had the money, and didn't think it would be legal much longer. If I hadn't been caught up in a frenzy I would've waited and bought it at a better price. That was MY dumb move.

That said, DPMS might not be the bulls tits of AR's, but with a cheap Centerfire red dot, mine was shooting 1" or less 3 shot groups at 100 yards using a rail mounted bipod, shooting PMC 62 grain green tip 5.56 rounds. For the price you paid, I'd say you made a damn fine purchase on an over all good rifle. I recently bought a Sig Sauer M400 for $1200. It has some features that I prefer over the DPMS, but as far as accuracy and firing reliably, I wouldn't dismiss the DPMS by any means. In fact, my only problem with the DPMS was occasional failure to feed due to the aluminum mags, and the Sig fared no better. Pmags and Troy Industries CBIR mags have completely corrected that issue.

16. dust_webbs

dust_webbs

I bought my ar right before the whole thing sandy hook shooting like 3 weeks before and I paid 799 for my stag arms model 3 the fiancée wasn't to happy about that purchase I used the better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

17. diesel

diesel

I actually sold my Olympic AR and a thousand rounds last fall for $1500. I figured I didn't need two battle rifles after buying the M1A.
    I do kinda miss it, though.

I also sold my Corvette to the same guy. Used that money to pay for my new Polaris Ranger 800. Having a bad back and hip, I needed a way to get up and down my hill where I hunt. I did more hunting last season than I did the previous 5 yrs. I guess sometimes when one starts to get older, one has to make those kind of decisions, do I want to hunt more or cruise in the Vet? Lets just say I don't frequent any Corvette sites.....LOL.:D :flag:

18. Don't need 2? I only have 2 and don't consider it enough. Lol

19. I am with you Thrash, you can never have too many AR's. I have 2 and want more, hell I am building another one with my dad as well. :)

20. ^Now that's what I call quality time.